Third Edition is Coming!!

Nef

38 minutes ago, hYena said:

Am I the only one worried that malifaux is moving towards more of a 50ss henchman hardcore type game instead of the unique schemes and strats focus type game, with their tease that models will be in the thick of it almost as fast as you can put them on the table?

I know it's probably over nothing, and i will surely see when the time comes, and probably be relieved, but the only thing m3e has me worried about, is that being able to engage faster results in moving malifaux away from its unique schemes and strats focus, to a more generic kill your opponent type game.

I don't mind if the action starts first round, it's the massive alpha strikes that I don't enjoy. If they can keep those in check I think the game can still be focused on scoring objectives rather than smashing faces.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WWHSD said:

No problem. This thread moves pretty fast and it's easy to miss stuff.

The biggest reason I don't think being in Dead Man's Hand means the character has been permanently written out of the game is because it's a lot of effort to make and play test a new card for the models. Wyrd could have very easily said that Ramos was a legal Proxy for Hoffman, Lilith for Nekima, Nico for Von Schtook, and Collodi for Marcus. Totems are legal proxies for the totems that their master became a proxy for. It would have been a hell of a lot less work and probably riled up about the same number of folks.

Would have LOVED them as proxies for previous masters/henchmen.

That said, if they get treated well as their own models I'll be even happier

1 hour ago, WWHSD said:

I don't mind if the action starts first round, it's the massive alpha strikes that I don't enjoy. If they can keep those in check I think the game can still be focused on scoring objectives rather than smashing faces.

Serious spit balling here, but I'd almost say that if everyone starts the action turn 1, then that means everyone can *kind-of* alpha-strike... Thus removing the one-sided massive alpha-strike?

It might be similar to playing games with close-deployment now?

Anyway, we'll see in the Beta (for those that manage to get in) and especially the final package.

7 hours ago, Saduhem said:

Would have LOVED them as proxies for previous masters/henchmen.

That said, if they get treated well as their own models I'll be even happier

I don't know, for me its this weird thing where I'd probably get more use out of them if they were legal proxies.

I'm not yet, but I do have the intention of going competitive. I may never do it, I may do it starting in 3E, I may do it tomorrow, who knows. But, doing so, I feel like learning DMH masters is almost a waste of my time. I assume we won't be using them at the higher end tournaments, so...Why would I spend my time learning Lilith, getting used to having her on my bench, knowing the ins and outs of how she plays, only to lose access to that playstyle in those higher end tournaments? that's just games I could've spent getting better at one of the other masters. Titania and Nekima, respectively, seem to be analogous to her various playstyles but there's a lot of nuance there that means I doubt they'd play the same. and, Wyrd, for what it's worth, I really, really hope Titania plays very close, if not identical, to what a terrain lilith build is like; thats my favorite playstyle.

That said, there is still a lot I like about this edition. streamlining is almost always a good thing in my experience; while games CAN be over simplified...they can also be overly complicated to. and its not like Malifaux is at risk of being overly simplistic just because a few abilities are being combined together into something more generic, but functionally the same.

A lot of the new masters sound super fun as well. I'm really happy about Resser getting jack and von shtook. Euripides sounds really, really fun to play.

I'm optimistic that the changes to burning and the new edition will give Kaeris some breathing room so that she'll actually be....good.

• Like 1

I really don't understand all this top-end competitive metas.  It all sounds super boring with Nico & Sandeep all over the place (pre-cuddle), it just sounds so stale & waac.  At the biggest tourney here, I don't think there was Nico at all and of the few Sandeep players, non of their crews were full optimised and all the better players played other stuff.

I also can't imagine any TO in the Melbourne meta not allowing DMH for any tourney. 

One thing I don't really like is Sandeep moving from a generalist to just another summoner.  Oh well, time to play him now (I'm only just starting him now post-cuddle)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Da Git said:

I really don't understand all this top-end competitive metas.  It all sounds super boring with Nico & Sandeep all over the place (pre-cuddle), it just sounds so stale & waac.  At the biggest tourney here, I don't think there was Nico at all and of the few Sandeep players, non of their crews were full optimised and all the better players played other stuff.

I also can't imagine any TO in the Melbourne meta not allowing DMH for any tourney. 

One thing I don't really like is Sandeep moving from a generalist to just another summoner.  Oh well, time to play him now (I'm only just starting him now post-cuddle)

I think thats more of an Internet problem,  then a real one. People like (or need) everything to be labeled "official". I've never understood the need to write down detailed paragraphs for everything even in tournament environments. Don't be an ass and if you do, well than good luck and bye *shrug* (and i say that with 10 years experiences as Organizer and participant)

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Da Git said:

And that's kind of why I can never see myself going "hardcore" with tourneys and stuff, at the end of the day all I really care about is not coming in last place (and sometimes I don't mind that if they were fun(ny) games).  I'm the kind of Sandeep player who made physical markers to show what spells I have left to Beacon, what summons have what upgrades, and I almost always explain what I'm doing and (outside a tourney) warn my opponents when they're falling into a "gotcha", because I think the game is more fun when it's made up of intelligent decisions based on all the info available.

With that said, I'm also cautiously optimistic about Sandeep going from generalist to pure summoner, but the Mantra thing sounds cool so hey who knows?

• Like 1

The only thing I want to know is the size of the new cards...

cause me and my friends have nice books/organizers for our cards from „ultimate guard“

it would be sad not to use them anymore to browse through your army collection. maybe it’s just a german thing to keep everything in order on a specific place. But for me it is always a pleasure to see my card collection that way.

So any word on this?

Ravenguard is by a large margin the least painful army I've painted, the black main colour is just so easy to apply with spray and a bit of touch up. And if you mess up a little when doing details it's easy to fix since black covers so well. Iyanden on the other hand...

In general I enjoy the results of painting, rarely the painting itself. Malifaux is not so bad since mostly you paint relatively few models of each type (I did paint an awful lot of spiders for Ramos), painting 20 Iyanden guardians yellow is a terrible chore, or a bunch of large vehicles yellow. When I'm god-emperor of the galaxy, yellow will be banned. And yes, I'm too stubborn to just switch to a different paint scheme now.

• Haha 1

@Mason So what size are the new cards going to be? People need to start sourcing new card sleeves.

And can you advise approximately when m3e will be released? Half a year? A year?

I can't be the only one holding off making any new purchases until it's released; especially as i'm a Neverborn player, so much uncertainty... 

Hope there is a rework of the elevation rules for this edition. While I've been able to wrap my head around them I can't seem to explain them sufficiently to most of the people I manage to get playing. So our boards are usually pretty 2 dimesional just to avoid the issues of LoS.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Igpus said:

@Mason So what size are the new cards going to be? People need to start sourcing new card sleeves.

And can you advise approximately when m3e will be released? Half a year? A year?

I can't be the only one holding off making any new purchases until it's released; especially as i'm a Neverborn player, so much uncertainty... 

I completely understand the perspective as a Neverborn player. In fact, I don't know who is going to want to buy Hinamatsu now since we don't know if anyone is going to be synergizing with Puppets (And I would be really sad to not be able to use Coryphee and Mannequin in Neverborn anymore).

For the card sleeves, I wouldn't mind if Wyrd started selling their own. I have to buy them from someone, might as well be Wyrd. 

1 hour ago, ezramantis said:

Hope there is a rework of the elevation rules for this edition. While I've been able to wrap my head around them I can't seem to explain them sufficiently to most of the people I manage to get playing. So our boards are usually pretty 2 dimesional just to avoid the issues of LoS.

If they want to sell much of their new terrain, the rules for elevation and building interiors need a lot of work.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Stonewall78 said:

Will there be a new starter box for 3E? The current one is really not all that exciting in its execution (though I like the guild models).

Speaking of the starter box, I'm actually super excited to see those models get a rework in M3E.  Looking forward to Nekima leading Angel Eyes and the Scion into battle.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Saduhem said:

4 hours ago, Igpus said:

I completely understand the perspective as a Neverborn player. In fact, I don't know who is going to want to buy Hinamatsu now since we don't know if anyone is going to be synergizing with Puppets (And I would be really sad to not be able to use Coryphee and Mannequin in Neverborn anymore).

If you take into account the lost master and their closed ones, the out of faction hiring pool of Lynch, Lucius, Zoraida, Pandora and Collodi that are in question (they may not stay the same) as well as the loss of mercs, that’s a lot of models on the shelf or out of question for purchase.

5 hours ago, ezramantis said:

Elevation rules will indeed work differently than in M2E.

6 minutes ago, aquenaton said:

Are we going to get a game that uses less/more minis? I have abandoned Warmachine/Hordes when I realized that, on the edition changes, the game stopped being a skirmish one and became an army level game. Should we expect to see the same number of minis in play?

We are definitely still a skirmish game... and we've put some limits in place to stop runaway summoning and excessive spamming, so I'd expect average model counts to come down slightly.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Well, I'm late as all hell to this party... Sorry if I rethread old ground.

Ok, first off, I'm keen on the edition change. 1.5 to 2 was a good transition and I do hope this one delivers as well.

I also really hope themed is frankly just better than mix and match for 2 reasons. First, if everything is being released at the same time and themed crews aren't more obviously powerful than non themed, testing is going to be hell, way too many references at this point.

The second reason is that it will bring more table variate in practical terms, I agree with what Fetid said, though I've been out of the loop, that certain pieces are omnipresent (I've heard the legend of Yasunori and on my ressers a belle or nurse were always a given while on my 10T there would always ve a 10T bro), so I'd rather 10T bros were only good with Misaki for example instead of an every crew because suddenly Willy and metal gamin are actually worth a damn on Mei Feng crews and so on.

Also, for those mentioning warmachine, Malifaux has always been very themed, so it doesn't feel as artificial making every master be their own minifaction. I'm keen on using a pure tormented Jack Daw and Leveticus who both I only have since I like their style without feeling like I'm gimping myself.

I do fear for unthemed models though, I mean, outside of Leveticus, who does Dead Rider go with?

On more of a curiosity front I'm also wondering if everything will be released in a single book or what. It will be a very thick book without any fluff. Or maybe faction anthologies compiling all the fluff. Also good call on releasing pdfs of all the cards, edition changes rub people the wrong way without stuff like that.

As for the dead masters I can live with it but would appreciate oficial proxy rules for mainstream masters, as in I can use my Nicodem to represent transmortis guy for example. On another front, frankly, all of the out of comision models I think have good odds of coming back due to fluff. Lilith is just a prisoner as well as Ramos and Nico certainly is on the good side of the Grace Spirit, so him coming back as a lich isn't that much of a streetch.

Losing dual faction access is more annoying though, but if themed crews are the be all, they can at least be played efficiently I would hope with just their stuff. Maybe even allow taking 2 diferent faction masters crews on tournament.

Anywho, looking to see how things develop and sorry if stuff I asked about is already known.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Adran said:

Didn't they demo TOS gen con last year...

ToS I'd dare say was suffering more from production of model issues than rule development. Can't really release a new game with no models. Malifaux doesn't have that issue. Also, if they are doing demos in a few days, I'd say it means they are confident at least with the core rules, so betas will be less about building the house and more about getting a good paintjob.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

On 7/25/2018 at 3:39 PM, Mason said:

There are currently no plans to carry Avatars forward into 3rd edition. That doesn't mean that it won't (or will) happen in the future, just that at the moment, we're focusing on getting the core rules and models updated and balanced.

What about as proxies? I love busting out Nicodem's Avatar for my Carrion Emissary. Oddly, seems even more appropriate now.

On 7/25/2018 at 4:21 PM, Athiko said:

Yep totally agree, lets hope this idea gets dismissed in the beta testing. Goes against the whole thematic crew idea anyway

Actually, I think it works better thematically. This way, it's not a random Illuminated helping Asami. It's Jakob and Asami teaming up to achieve the Ten Thunders' goal.

On 7/25/2018 at 5:12 PM, Passenty said:

If big tournamnets will play restricted format no one will want to play unrestricted on the small ones

As a Henchman, my default will be allowing all models barring world events/possibly story events.

• Like 1

@Mason will there be an updated timing chart for duels?

At the moment the General Timing callout box is insufficient in many situations involving model death and multiple passive effects from Talents while also creating several unintuitive interactions (such as blasting off a dead model with "repeat" Triggers).

In a similar vein, are you planning to introduce something akin to The Stack that MtG uses?

Or will the Talent interactions be streamlined enough to not warrant a stacking system?

2 hours ago, Lalochezia said:

My LGS was out of Titania so I just picked up the new Nekima to paint while we await 3rd.

It’s Neverborn this edition!

Titania has been almost impossible to find anywhere... I hope they make some more soon! 

• Like 1