Third Edition is Coming!!

Nef

Just now, lusciousmccabe said:

At least you should be hella good at it by the time you're finished!

Yeah, thats the silver lining i've been telling myself to keep me from throwing a fit and snapping all my models in half(joking, of course.), I have improved a lot from my first RG to the last ones I just did. and that is another thing I like, not just about painting, but about life in general. watching yourself get better, figuring out new techniques and things that work for you. It's fun, and fulfilling, watching your own personal growth and skills get better, even if it is just a hobby.

• Agree 3

Really displeased with this. I went from four Neverborn masters to now one. Assuming you don't decide to have a little RP tea party and vote to kill that one too. Keep your meta-plot in the stories. It shouldn't invalidate my past purchases and the countless hours I spend assembling and painting models for use, not to mention ensuring that their crews get no future support.

If the DMH masters are balanced for tournament use, have them only be excluded from a select few story events. As it stands you have unique characters fighting each other, characters who get killed off in battles reappearing in the next tournament round, etc. This isn't an RPG, and moreover, you HAVE an RPG for this sort of thing.

• Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Respectfully Disagree 2

59 minutes ago, 7thSquirrel said:

I hate the act of painting, it is a massive chore to me. But I really enjoy the result/fulfillment that comes after it is done and my crew sits on the table.

I don't quite hate it but I do consider it a chore required for playing games I enjoy.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

The claim that people that don't care about the story/lore are in the minority has just not proven to be true whatsoever in all my years of gaming.   The topic of discussion is nearly always about gameplay,painting,modeling when interacting with members of war gaming groups and hardly ever about the 'fluff.'  I mean I know there's people that do genuinely really get into that side of it and its great that its there for them, but its quite rare that I come across people like that and I've been a part of many communities of different games.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 6
  • Respectfully Disagree 3

1 hour ago, 7thSquirrel said:

I hate the act of painting, it is a massive chore to me. But I really enjoy the result/fulfillment that comes after it is done and my crew sits on the table.

I get that.

Like a good workout. Not fun perse but fulfilling and worth doing.

I genuinely enjoy painting, but this makes sense to me. Thanks for letting me see it from your perspective. :)

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, WWHSD said:

We know that Paralyze is no longer going to be a condition but do we actually know that it is going away?

I'd say that it's a safe bet Paralyze is gone, reading between a few lines.  The new Stunned is actually pretty potent - no "claw" attacks + no triggers )hamstrings a lot of models and indicates the same sort of "fear" effect that Paralyzed represents while also still allowing for a model to do plenty of other things on its activation.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Kyris said:

For me, it depends on the model Some models are just a pain to paint. Others, are a fun challenge. others, are just enjoyable.

Personally, the fun I have the most, as far as hobbying goes. is planning, and finishing. I like being able to plan out what I'm going to do with my models, how I'm going to theme them and things like that. and then seeing it all come to fruition, and the satisfaction from seeing everything come to together.

the actual painting..well, depends on the model. right now I'm working on some 40K stuff before jumping back into finishing my Malifaux models up, and then going to touch up almost every malifaux model I own. and, I am not having a lot of fun with these models for reasons that are entirely my own fault.

Kids, take it from me. Do NOT paint raven guard unless you really, really like edge highlighting.

Oh man, I painted a Ravenwing army a few years back and I so feel this.

14 minutes ago, anab0lic said:

The claim that people that don't care about the story/lore are in the minority has just not proven to be true whatsoever in all my years of gaming.   The topic of discussion is nearly always about gameplay,painting,modeling when interacting with members of war gaming groups and hardly ever about the 'fluff.'  I mean I know there's people that do genuinely really get into that side of it and its great that its there for them, but its quite rare that I come across people like that and I've been a part of many communities of different games.

I think it would be safe to say that the players at the store I play in that keep up with the lore are in the minority.

• Agree 5

I hated painting until I put more serious time into understanding how to paint well.   For me it used to be putting in ungodly amounts of time and it still looking like utter crap.  I'm a long ways from what I see some others posting on my Facebook feeds and such but I am actually starting to enjoy the outcomes of some of my paintjobs now and seeing yourself grow as an artist is akin to getting good at game with a high skill ceiling.   The actual process of painting I have always found extremely therapeutic (even when they turned out bad lol) , its like it slows down my thoughts and relaxes me, takes you away from all those worry's and life concerns you can often have running through your mind all day long, its like a form of meditation for me and very much needed.

• Agree 1

Just now, WWHSD said:

I think it would be safe to say that the players at the store I play in that keep up with the lore are in the minority.

I think there's a difference between really keeping up with the lore, and thinking it adds *no value* *at all*.

The lore is in everything. The character's name. The names of its abilities. "I'm making a Greatsword attack" sounds a lot better than "I'm making Short Range Attack X"

It even influences the art descriptions which influences the aesthetics which influence the game mechanics.

And I get that advocating that character names and ability names having no value sounds extreme but, apparently, there are people who advocate for that so... *shrug*

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Lalochezia said:

I think there's a difference between really keeping up with the lore, and thinking it adds *no value* *at all*.

The lore is in everything. The character's name. The names of its abilities. "I'm making a Greatsword attack" sounds a lot better than "I'm making Short Range Attack X"

It even influences the art descriptions which influences the aesthetics which influence the game mechanics.

And I get that advocating that character names and ability names having no value sounds extreme but, apparently, there are people who advocate for that so... *shrug*

As one of the players at said store who does not keep up with the lore, I *do* very much value it. An like hearing about things when people tell me what is going on in the world of Malifaux. I'm just not going to sit down and read it, and the audio quality of the breachside broadcast makes it hard to listen to on noisy public transit where I do my podcast listening.

I am also all for the lore affecting the gameplay. It makes the world feel living.  

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Respectfully Disagree 1

29 minutes ago, Memnaelar said:

I'd say that it's a safe bet Paralyze is gone, reading between a few lines.  The new Stunned is actually pretty potent - no "claw" attacks + no triggers )hamstrings a lot of models and indicates the same sort of "fear" effect that Paralyzed represents while also still allowing for a model to do plenty of other things on its activation.

That's actually a :ToS-Fast:, which is the symbol for Bonus Actions (essentially, your M2E (0) Actions).

And yes, Paralyze is gone.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Lalochezia said:

This is exactly why whenever I play Carlos I read out the names of his actions fully. His melee could just be "flame punch" or something generic, but instead we have something incredibly fluffy and awesome :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, MunkyMuddFace said:

All these little nuggets of information! It makes me want to see the whole of the new rules that much more!

Yup!

Was I the only one excited about the pass tokens mentioned in Pandora's description?

Pass tokens, people!

PASS TOKENS

(Just me? Yeah, ok, I'll stop.)

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

I noticed it. I’m completely indifferent to it until I see the mechanics.

I’ve never seen a system do pass mechanics well. For all the issues with out-activation in the current edition, and it was a serious issue, every system I have experience with that has tried a pass mechanic just creates an equally serious but different problem. Usually making lower costed options worth less and sub-optimal to  higher cost options. 

Additionally the other common issue is it adds another layer of complexity to an already complex game for little gain.

I’m not saying this isn’t a good idea, I’m actually glad they are testing something, and I’m hopeful they will solve the issue somehow since they tend to have more controls to tweak given the architecture of the basic scenario mechanics, and the way resources work than many other games, but It is a very complex issue that often doesn’t actually solve more issues than it creates.

It’s all going to be about the execution, and until the mechanics are revealed past history with pass mechanics in other systems would indicate caution is warranted.

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Lalochezia said:

Yup!

Was I the only one excited about the pass tokens mentioned in Pandora's description?

Pass tokens, people!

PASS TOKENS

(Just me? Yeah, ok, I'll stop.)

The token system is intriguing. The Pass Token to deal with activation parity sounds cool.

I imaging the Tokens are going to replace many of the character specific Conditions that have accumulated in the current game. I think it will be something like: you give a model a Token, then, at some point take the token back for some effect. IF this is correct, then it puts the onus on the owner of the model that generated the token to know the rules, rather than the receiver of the token. If this is true, it think it is a great design direction because it would transfer the bookkeeping to the person that has the card with the rules for it.

• Agree 4

As an aside, very glad paralyzed is gone. Hated how powerful it was, often eliminating 1/5 or more of a models total ap for the game often for failing a single duel. Also disliked how dispiriting it was for the other player, and really disliked how it interacted with the Horror and terror mechanics.

Really interested to see how they handle Terror in the new edition. hoping they keep the manipulative/vanished rules and terror is just a check for all actions targeting the model. 

• Agree 5

I don't think the gone masters will return since there's a whole sub-category with dead man's hand.

The problem isn't the fact that some tournaments might allow them or that you can play with friends, the real issue is that when new books/models come out or game decisions are being made, the Masters in this sub-category are not going to be given the same weight, if any is given to them at all.

I, for once, feel a little hurt after trading sleeping hours  and money across 3 jobs to purchase and paint models that already  had an undisclosed expiration date.

The changes look exciting and promising, and I can't wait to test all of it, I have been waiting for this for a long time. Thematic hiring feels like it really belongs to the game. But that doesn't change that I feel a complete fool spending those nights under the lamp wearing a respirator mask, hoping to be able to take a nap before my next shift. That's a slice of my life, efforts, and income that all of a sudden have little worth within the game system.

I would have been happier if these Masters and totems were official proxies for pieces that can still work together.

Sorry for the vent guys. Still excited, just a bit hurt by a feeling, perhaps unjustified, that people in my situation were not respected and that other masters switched factions to promote spending from veterans who have complete factions. Behind every purchased and painted miniature there's someone who invested a lot of time in the process.

• Agree 6
  • Respectfully Disagree 2

16 minutes ago, MunkyMuddFace said:

The token system is intriguing. The Pass Token to deal with activation parity sounds cool.

I imaging the Tokens are going to replace many of the character specific Conditions that have accumulated in the current game. I think it will be something like: you give a model a Token, then, at some point take the token back for some effect. IF this is correct, then it puts the onus on the owner of the model that generated the token to know the rules, rather than the receiver of the token. If this is true, it think it is a great design direction because it would transfer the bookkeeping to the person that has the card with the rules for it.

Ever since someone first phrased it that way, I have gotten happier with the idea. But I’m still tracking hostile tokens with dots from a marker, not beads.

So far there are tokens which go on the crew which uses them and you as the opponent can more or less ignore (Hoffman, Asami), some that go on you and almost certainly turn into damage so be wary of that (Hamelin), some on you for summoning so brace yourself for impact (Dreamer), and some I have no idea (Lynch, Nellie) (I would’ve thought Nellie placed evidence onto herself, not scandal onto enemies).

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Fetid Strumpet said:

I noticed it. I’m completely indifferent to it until I see the mechanics.

I’ve never seen a system do pass mechanics well. For all the issues with out-activation in the current edition, and it was a serious issue, every system I have experience with that has tried a pass mechanic just creates an equally serious but different problem. Usually making lower costed options worth less and sub-optimal to  higher cost options. 

Additionally the other common issue is it adds another layer of complexity to an already complex game for little gain.

I’m not saying this isn’t a good idea, I’m actually glad they are testing something, and I’m hopeful they will solve the issue somehow since they tend to have more controls to tweak given the architecture of the basic scenario mechanics, and the way resources work than many other games, but It is a very complex issue that often doesn’t actually solve more issues than it creates.

It’s all going to be about the execution, and until the mechanics are revealed past history with pass mechanics in other systems would indicate caution is warranted.

I admit that we need to see the rules before really drawing conclusions, but this is the time for wild speculation!

Besides, I have every confidence that Aaron wrote an excellent pass mechanic before he left, and then Mason rewrote it to something equally excellent.

I am excited. :D

• Like 3
  • Agree 1