Third Edition is Coming!!

Nef

6 minutes ago, Bengt said:

I like the idea of themed hiring, and I hope no one in the new edition has ridiculously generous keywords like Leveticus and Marcus has in M2E.

I assume they'll do a better job of separating theme groups from types of being this time around.  I assume they learned their lesson from the rather nebulous distinction between things like Death Marshal, Construct/Undead, Has Cold Heart Ability, and fits in this nebulous category we're not naming but we kind of want to call Void.

1 minute ago, Mason said:

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with allowing players to use apps to make lists in whatever fashion works best for them.

I just don't like the idea of making the app mandatory.

Some people out there don't have smart phones, after all.

I agree, people should be allowed to play with whatever they want, app or cards.

But on topic of M3E! Super excited, I think the keyword mechanic is brilliant, limiting pools that masters can take is genius, and being able to take multiple masters is cool.

I'm hopeful that the way points works out, that if you take multiple masters the rest of your crew is very small so they continue to be the strong imposing figures we've grown to expect them to be.

I like the feeling of a Masters activation being so much more impactful than other activations, and as long as taking multiple masters maintains that grand feeling then I'll be more than happy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hotpants said:

I, personally, don't like buying retconed cards when you guys need to alter the balance of a model. Most people use some form of army builder now anyways so why not just keep all the points there? It's not necessary for play once the game starts.

Just disagreeing about everything really. ( although i also don't like paying for errata'd cards) My phone won't load the app, so I couldn't play if that was the only option, I don't ever use crew builders( too many times correcting people's lists that did use them), and actually you do need ss cost in game for Ours, vendetta and playing Levi to name 3.

• Like 3

As a Neverborn player, I'm very sad to lose three (!) masters in time. Especially because my most played masters were Collodi and Lilith.
But does it really mean we'll lose all associated models like Illuminated, Beckoners, Tannen and Graves and so on?
Can we expect that models like Hinamatsu, Vasilisa,  Barbaros will be lost too?
And yes, it's painful to get all my Puppet collection unplayable.
Why really not to make dead/lost Masters tournament legal, If they will be balanced?

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Kouzelnik said:

As a Neverborn player, I'm very sad to lose three (!) masters in time. Especially because my most played masters were Collodi and Lilith.
But does it really mean we'll lose all associated models like Illuminated, Beckoners, Tannen and Graves and so on?
Can we expect that models like Hinamatsu, Vasilisa,  Barbaros will be lost too?
And yes, it's painful to get all my Puppet collection unplayable.
Why really not to make dead/lost Masters tournament legal, If they will be balanced?

It seems incredibly unlikely that Barbaros wouldn't remain playable under Nekima.

I hope we don't end up losing some of the range. Sure there's a few mini's that need replacements but the miniatures range is actually very strong in the main. 

I'm caught in two minds as to what to do now is it worth investing in more Malifaux? As someone posted earlier I don't really like the idea that some of the range will only be useable at player discretion. 

When you invest in a crew it isn't just the crew box you buy it's a whole host of other mini's bought specifically in mind to use in said crew. Now you're technically shifting away from those masters/crews it does sting. 

I think I might have to bow out or just stick to playing 2nd edition simply because I don't like the idea of some stuff being playable and some stuff being in this strange grey area for absolutely no reason. 

• Agree 2

I started Malifaux just after Book 4 of M1.5 was released, just as plastic crews were starting to come out. Less than a year after I started, M2E was announced. Being my first minis game, I didn't know what to expect with an edition change, so I just rolled with it - and M2E has been great! And I still enjoy it, and will still play it, but the same cannot be said for others in my playgroup (14ish regulars that come to the shop, we play a wide variety of games, and about 10 are/were Malifaux players). Unfortunately, Malifaux has been on the downswing lately, and I do hope that M3E is the fresh start that draws players back in. 

As far as what has been teased with the announcement - I like it so far. I like the faction shake-up and trimming the conditions down to a set number. I am curious to see how the tokens play out. I want to see more before I pass any further judgement. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

We are living interesting times. Hopefully there will be coming good edition. There is lots of thing that needs new rules. Restart is always two sides.

At least Wyrd have to mess quite badly to Win GW reboot with Warhammer or Rackham Confrontation (age of ragnarok). ;) So I  will try to be positive. 

• Like 1

Malifaux's main drawback has always been two things firstly for many tabletop gamers the game has way too many individual rules per model. For new players it's daunting because you really need to understand how your opponents models operate and it quickly becomes a headache for new players to get a grasp of. Secondly Malifaux has a deceptively high buy in. Sure you can play a game with one crew box - but you can't really be competitive until you've spent a fortune on multiple crew boxes and/or other mini's as you need the flexibility. I'd like to see bigger faction specific boxes at a reasonable price tag. 

But if you start canning masters your existing player base will question whether it's worth investing in the game as they don't know if their purchases are going to invalidated or at least compromised 2-3 years down the line.

13 minutes ago, RedHood said:

I hope we don't end up losing some of the range. Sure there's a few mini's that need replacements but the miniatures range is actually very strong in the main. 

I'm caught in two minds as to what to do now is it worth investing in more Malifaux? As someone posted earlier I don't really like the idea that some of the range will only be useable at player discretion. 

When you invest in a crew it isn't just the crew box you buy it's a whole host of other mini's bought specifically in mind to use in said crew. Now you're technically shifting away from those masters/crews it does sting. 

I think I might have to bow out or just stick to playing 2nd edition simply because I don't like the idea of some stuff being playable and some stuff being in this strange grey area for absolutely no reason. 

The only things listed as being in the Dead Man's Hand (gray area) are those individual masters (and likely their totems). There has been nothing to imply that any other models will be going away or not be playable. They are likely getting shifted around and redesigned to fit better with other crews and masters. I can totally see puppets becoming a Zoirada thing now, or maybe they will be included in the Versatile models that was mentioned and available for all masters without extra cost. I think it's way too early to worry about anything disappearing other than the very specific masters that have been mentioned. And this coming from someone that came to Malifaux for Nicodem. I played him exclusively for some time, but I understand he was a pain to design around. I'm very hopeful to see what the new masters offer. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I can totally see puppets becoming a Zoirada thing now

Her blurb mentions creatures of the Swamp with a special bonus of Penetrating Stench so that really doesn't sound like Puppets. Besides, there's quite a few Swampfiends already so that feels like a theme that is pretty fleshed out as it is.

From the descriptions, the dolls really don't sound like they'd fit any of the Neverborn Masters. But who knows, I guess. Won't be buying any new dolls in the meantime, though, that's for sure!

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Paddywhack said:

The only things listed as being in the Dead Man's Hand (gray area) are those individual masters (and likely their totems). There has been nothing to imply that any other models will be going away or not be playable. They are likely getting shifted around and redesigned to fit better with other crews and masters. I can totally see puppets becoming a Zoirada thing now, or maybe they will be included in the Versatile models that was mentioned and available for all masters without extra cost. I think it's way too early to worry about anything disappearing other than the very specific masters that have been mentioned. And this coming from someone that came to Malifaux for Nicodem. I played him exclusively for some time, but I understand he was a pain to design around. I'm very hopeful to see what the new masters offer. 

But if the likes of Nico will be balanced in M3E why take them away? You can still introduce new masters. All the game needs is streamlining (personally I don't think it needs that I like the added complexity the game currently offers) to attract a wider audience. 

Also release a proper two player starter box with some pop up terrain and a fold out map. Give new players a proper entry level start point to get a game to table. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, RedHood said:

This is true with any change.  It happens after an errata.  It happens after new model releases.  Sometimes it even happens because something becomes popular and counters what you're playing.  

Practically speaking, if you're looking to expand, I'd find a master you want to play and focus on buying things either in their theme or at least in the faction they're going to be in.  I find it very unlikely we'll see major shifts in stuff available in individual boxes.  There's just too much catalog branding to do that cleanly.

3 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

The only things listed as being in the Dead Man's Hand (gray area) are those individual masters (and likely their totems). There has been nothing to imply that any other models will be going away or not be playable. 

While I don't think he has been connected to the Dead Man's Hand pack, it was confirmed that The Judge is dead. So it may be possible for there to be non-Master/Totem models in there. (Speculative at best)

18 minutes ago, MCOLL81 said:

While I don't think he has been connected to the Dead Man's Hand pack, it was confirmed that The Judge is dead. So it may be possible for there to be non-Master/Totem models in there. (Speculative at best)

Fair enough, but nothing to suggest massive amounts of models will be gone - for example Collodi's puppets. You may not have Collodi anymore, but I imagine that most of his normal crew will still be usable by other masters and may have new roles as a result. 

25 minutes ago, RedHood said:

But if the likes of Nico will be balanced in M3E why take them away? You can still introduce new masters.

Each faction needs the same sized pool of tournament legal masters. In M2E that meant to add Von Schtook to Ressers then Wyrd needed to come up with a master for the other 6 factions. With the Dead Man's Hand, Wyrd just needs to retire a Resser master to introduce a new one. The masters are still balanced and playable they just aren't an option in tournaments where the goal is to put all factions on a level playing field. At least that's my theory on why Wyrd is choosing to handle things this way.  

25 minutes ago, RedHood said:

Also release a proper two player starter box with some pop up terrain and a fold out map. Give new players a proper entry level start point to get a game to table. 

I'm all for that. The Infinity two player starters are great in that regards. They come with all of the tokens and templates you need to start playing as well as enough terrain to play a small game. 

• Like 3

I have been playing mostly Outcasts and Molly lately. A little sad to see Molly moving away from summoning. I am excited for the Outcasts - I gladly accept the trade of Misaki for Zipp - Welcome home little buddy! 

I do hope that the Leveticus Horsemen list will still be able to happen. I love that list and have been having loads of fun with it in both casual play and tourneys.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MunkyMuddFace said:

I have been playing mostly Outcasts and Molly lately. A little sad to see Molly moving away from summoning. I am excited for the Outcasts - I gladly accept the trade of Misaki for Zipp - Welcome home little buddy! 

I do hope that the Leveticus Horsemen list will still be able to happen. I love that list and have been having loads of fun with it in both casual play and tourneys.

like Molly moving away from summoning, Just like the good old days :) 

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Gnomezilla said:

...and that still matters a lot less after it’s hired. Most of the M2E on-card faction restrictions I know of boil down to ‘whoops, shouldn’t’ve let Howard Langston have access to that, let’s restrict its target to one faction only’. Making that central space the wound tracking space, up next to the defensive stats, would work a lot better.

I agree with this.  Putting the wound counters there would be a much better idea IMO. You also really don't need the faction symbol as I'm guessing the artwork background colour will give it away (the two Arcanists cards have blue background and I'm making an assumption that the other factions will have their colour as a background.

But yeah, wound counter wound be much better in the middle with the other stats. 

Also for card size, it's much easier to make a card bigger than it is to make it smaller.  Since the cards will all be free anyway, making them fit the smaller size and then people being able to make them bigger sounds like a much better idea. 

I have been really keen for 3rd ed for a while now. Malifaux is such a good game, but there are a plenty of low-hanging fruit for a new edition, so I have been really pumped to see the new material. However, I must say this early presentation has left something of a bad taste in my mouth.

I play Neverborn and TT, and so I seem to have a significant number of models that will become obsolete. It is still early, and I wont panic until I see how it all pans out, but at the moment it reads like I am to be punished for my significant prior investment in Malifaux.

I have Lilith and Collodi from Neverborn that are getting grandfathered. I am losing Brewmaster from TT, who I literally just purchased, painted and based. I have the infiltration models for the now TT exclusive models – I do not imagine McCabe will be able to hire Gulid Hounds, Guild Sergeants, Guild Guard or Elli and Patti Ramone. In addition, I have a stack of mercenary models, which I could not see getting a specific mention, but the consensus seems to be they are not longer a thing?

All in all, I think about a quarter of my models could be getting shelved. Yes, I know technically I can still play Brewmaster, but not without buying all the faction cards, and not without further model investment in a faction I have zero interest in.

If the deleted models were equally split across the factions, it wouldn't be so bad, but the losses seem disproportionately weighted against some factions, and against people who bought mercs. A Gremlin player gets no models shelved, I lose three masters and probably an additional handful of models.

This has certainly dampened my excitement considerably.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2