Third Edition is Coming!!

Nef

1 minute ago, TeddyBear said:

i also want to ask (and sorry if probably someone has already asked befeore, but i haven't read all in this post) 

Do you think new miniatures will be pre-assembled?

(for me it would be a dream :P)

Think it's been answered no but I may be wrong

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Davie said:

Maybe the Keyword Mechanic solves this issue. So maybe you can still use Tanuki with Brewmaster for Example? Maybe the Models themselfs gain/stay som sort of dual faction-status

I very much expect this to be the case.  I think that's the big trick to remember is that with keyword based crews, every master is going to see some significant changes in what constitutes their collection.  Sonnia might not be changing factions, but I'm expecting to have to invest more in beefing up my paltry Witch Hunter collection since her crews are unlikely to be Papa, Frank and the family she currently runs around with.

I think that's important to consider for masters losing dual faction status.  Brewmaster, for example, probably wasn't going to get efficient access to, so... Yasinori anyway.  If the system is done correctly, the lists masters will be encouraged to run won't be all that different if he had been in 10T anyway.  The big win from my viewpoint is the ability to buy into a Master that appeals to you without really having to buy into their corresponding faction.  I'd rather own the 8 most appealing masters to me than feel like I need to own the 8 that happen to share a model pool.

• Agree 5

13 minutes ago, MalifauxDave said:

That's not the main issue, the ranges on abilities in 2e are already so ludicrous that it hardly even matters where you put your models. a 12" threat range on a 36" table for instance is insane. 

I suspect the goal is to curb the power of activation control on the first turn.  I suspect we'll see higher move stats in general, but they'll reduce some of the crazy 8" pushes and the like that generally make this stuff happen.

8 hours ago, daniello_s said:

By the way, don't you think that it is somehow not fair to players who uses now dual-faction masters to hack this duality in m3e? What they should do with the models they bought, assembled and painted and will no longer be able to use again with the start of the new edition?

Just a thought on this:

So far Wyrd has stated which Masters are  and are not dual faction, which has changed where they belong in quite a few cases. 

Isn't it likely that some of the Henchmen, Enforcers and Minions are also going to be shuffled around? 

"Well, you see here boyos, I'm no longer associated wit the Guild, you're either with me and the Ten Thunders or you're against me..."

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Brandu said:

Just a thought on this:

So far Wyrd has stated which Masters are  and are not dual faction, which has changed where they belong in quite a few cases. 

Isn't it likely that some of the Henchmen, Enforcers and Minions are also going to be shuffled around? 

"Well, you see here boyos, I'm no longer associated wit the Guild, you're either with me and the Ten Thunders or you're against me..."

Judge is dead.  Seems likely.

46 minutes ago, PuppySwarm said:

Competitively, 7th edition was in a much better state than 8th edition is right now. It's taking a long time to get things right, and M3E will probably suffer similar hiccups.

counter point; I played tyranid in 7th..

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, LunarSol said:

I'm pretty happy with the balance in 8th.  It feels like most everyone can make a pretty competitive build if they want to.

yeah, that's something 8th edition did very, very good. 7th might have been better but there was like, what? 2-3 armies that were actually viable competitively? Malifaux as a whole has done a hell of a better job of making the factions balanced - not master to master, but there's never a situation where you lose based on what faction you declare.

• Agree 2

22 hours ago, Lalochezia said:

Not after a long enough time, no, you can't.

If you advance the story for years without changing how those characters within the advancing stories play at all, eventually you'll end up with characters that are entirely divorced from the story. And if the mechanics are entirely divorced from the story, is it even the game's story any more?

Also you ignored my point about design space and stagnation.

But it's clear we are going to disagree. I love the direction Wyrd is taking. I hope you have a nice day. :)

I understood this to be the function of the upgrade cards in M2E; you could have masters evolve over time gaining new options as the result of their experiences without the need for a major overhaul that risks alienating some players.  This lever allows you to affect diversity and balance more elegantly than many other games have the ability to do.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Jingizu said:

I have one more problem with the new card design. Health bar is now at the very bottom, so if you mark model's wounds on the card, you can easily erase them with your fingers while picking it up.

I have in general problems with the current card setup. The Faction symbol, for example, is right up front and center and large. In M2e the only more useless piece of information on a card after the game starts other than the Faction symbol is the copyright, because it doesn't affect play ever in any way once you have the crew hired.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

18 minutes ago, lusciousmccabe said:

There's also the chance they've made the deployment zones smaller so the working area of the board seems larger. Just idle speculation. 

They actually say that the deployment zones will be larger in the very bullet that spawned this discussion.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mason said:

Larger cards mean that we can use larger font sizes, which will in turn make them easier to read, especially for people with poor eyesight.

Makes no sense, 90% of stuff on market is for MtG  sized cards, finding appropriate card holders and protectors for larger cards would be pain in the ass.

• Agree 5
  • Respectfully Disagree 1

1 minute ago, Snowhateswinter said:

Me too. That was awful. 8th had its hiccups but (for armies with Codexes out) its very balanced

isn't it great? when the army you play gets treated like nothing more than an NPC to advance the plot of another army? I'm still totally bitter about that..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cf_skeeve said:

I understood this to be the function of the upgrade cards in M2E; you could have masters evolve over time gaining new options as the result of their experiences without the need for a major overhaul that risks alienating some players.  This lever allows you to affect diversity and balance more elegantly than many other games have the ability to do.

I don't think upgrades ever panned out quite the way they were envisioned in M2E.  They ended up creating more clutter game to game then they managed to provide significant diversity in playstyles.  They were created in the same era as X-Wing, when it was a solution for the need to provide updates but when companies still feared errata.  Ultimately we learned that they're an okay idea, but no substitute for wholesale changes and more problematically, have no ability to fix the stuff that's over powered and causes the real problems in the system.

• Agree 4

7 minutes ago, 7thSquirrel said:

I have in general problems with card setup. The Faction symbol, for example, is right up front and center and large. In M2e the only more useless piece of information on a card after the game starts other than the Faction symbol is the copyright, because it doesn't affect play ever in any way once you have the crew hired.

Unless the faction symbol is going to be used as a Theme point keyword for some models... 

6 hours ago, Teluriel12 said:

The answer from Mason was clear. “You can use him in casual play and dead mans hands tournaments”...there was no “who knows what the future might bring”

Most of your purchases are likely still perfectly valid as well. As far as we know only Collodi has gone missing. The rest of your models will likely have new and interesting synergy with other masters. It's certainly frustrating to be told your new master may not be available for competitive play for now (still available for most regular tourneys and casual play though), but there is no indication that all the puppet models are now useless. You may have to look at other Masters though. Until the beta starts and you can see the new stat lines and rules it's hard to know exactly what's going to happen with your current models. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brandu said:

Unless the faction symbol is going to be used as a Theme point keyword for some models... 

Sure, but in that case I at least would still prefer it be by the other keywords. Ideally, again based on M2e experiences so maybe something drastic will change in M3e and I'll walk this back, it should be by the modal name or SS cost in one of the corners so that as I sort though my stack of dozens (at least) of cards when building crews I can gather all the information I need from the edges rather than pulling each card fully out.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, 7thSquirrel said:

Sure, but in that case I at least would still prefer it be by the other keywords. Ideally, again based on M2e, it should be by the modal name or SS cost in one of the corners so that as I sort though my stack of dozens (at least) of cards when building crews I can gather all the information I need from the edges rather than pulling each card fully out.

Fair enough, I was just raising a possible reason for it

• Agree 1