Third Edition is Coming!!

Nef

1 minute ago, Philosfr said:

The conspiracy reasons folks come up with for why certain masters leaving is funny. Can't it just be literally because of the storyline? In a year after M3E releases, there will be a new book. And in that book will be new models. There's nothing saying we can't have an undead Nicodem, a risen Lilith and whatever happens to Collodi come back for M3E Book 2. At least that's what I'm hoping the plan is.

I hope they do something similar, but it seems weird that they'd bother with updating the stat cards for release, giving the whole "dead man's hand" thing if their intention was to release new models later. If that is the case, personally, I think a "they're not going to be available on release, but will come later down the pipe line" notification would've been better. I mean, look at 1.5 to 2E, how long did people go without being able to play their masters? but they knew they were coming eventually so it was okay.

But hey, I could be wrong.

• Like 2

Just now, Brandu said:

Huh... Just what I had been thinking...

On another note: Anyone else notice that the Multi faction Masters has been balanced out? Two factions where there are 3 Multi Faction Masters and the rest are all 2 Masters each

-Brandu

I thought it was pretty funny that Arcanists went from having the least to the most.

2 minutes ago, LunarSol said:

I thought it was pretty funny that Arcanists went from having the least to the most.

With Ramos gone, they aren't being held back as much as before. 😉

and I'm still shocked that Marcus hasn't been axed yet. Probably because they haven't come up with an epitaph bad enough for his tombstone yet....

1 minute ago, Brandu said:

and I'm still shocked that Marcus hasn't been axed yet. Probably because they haven't come up with an epitaph bad enough for his tombstone yet....

He's a GenCon playtest model, so it seems like they're pretty confident in what he looks like for 3E. Also, his Mutation gimmick sounds pretty sick.

14 minutes ago, Philosfr said:

The conspiracy reasons folks come up with for why certain masters leaving is funny. Can't it just be literally because of the storyline? In a year after M3E releases, there will be a new book. And in that book will be new models. There's nothing saying we can't have an undead Nicodem, a risen Lilith and whatever happens to Collodi come back for M3E Book 2. At least that's what I'm hoping the plan is.

I mean, I'm just trying to come up with a reason my favorite minis company is making a really bad decision in early M3E that damages their playerbase (during what should be a wholly celebratory time) and doesn't involve something so inane as "the story we have almost complete control over said so."

Esp when they're taking the time to balance the dropped Masters for competitive play, but not allowing them in comp play unless approved. That's so bizarre - I don't even know how to justify it.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 3
  • Respectfully Disagree 1

9 minutes ago, LunarSol said:

I'll be curious what other models end up in the Dead Man's Hand.  The Judge didn't make it out of that scrap with Nico either after all.

Well, we don't know for certain that the Judge was killed, although it is implied that he did.
But it will definately be interesting to see if non-Master models are move to the Dead man's hand as well.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Brandu said:

And here I had Leveticus as the top, and sole, entry on the ‘why are you still here?’ list.

Another question: with 3E being centered around Keywords, what Keywords do the Dead Man's Hand masters have? Will their theme pool increase? If so, will their balance be modified with errata?

If Dead Hand masters are getting errata, I have no idea why they are available by approval only and that's just hassling players and TOs. If they're not getting errata, they are DOA - TOs won't want to let them in, ever.

I'd love to see them back in a 3E Book 2, but Wyrd needs to message that asap if true.

• Like 2

Minor question, what about alternates? I love alt's just for different flavor. I never cared for McMourning, but I took Dr. Dufrense with me to Adepticon just for the different spin. Will there be 3rd edition cards for Dufrense, or will we have to go back to using McMourning cards?

• Thanks 1

You cant imagine how frustated and gutted I feel about this.  I literally had to save for six months for the collodi crew I wanted to play (casual and in tournaments), which is also the first Ive ever bought for this game, Only now i learn that

- yippie, you get a new stat card

- you cant use him n tournaments anymore unless the TO will allow for it...basically saying that I cant use him.

Im gutted..I dont have a lot of money I can spare for various reasons and you now tell me that the effort it took is basically down the drain.

Thanks, real thanks for the warm feeling I get by hearing that the story will forward at least. Absolutely gutted.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, DocSchlock said:

I mean, I'm just trying to come up with a reason my favorite minis company is making a really bad decision in early M3E that damages their playerbase (during what should be a wholly celebratory time) and doesn't involve something so inane as "the story we have almost complete control over said so."

Esp when they're taking the time to balance the dropped Masters for competitive play, but not allowing them in comp play unless approved. That's so bizarre - I don't even know how to justify it.

Masters are essentially acting as silos for model groupings this edition.  It's essentially how every company has started breaking down their lines into more accessible chunks.  Warmachine did it with theme forces, Guild Ball is doing it with Minor Guilds, 40k's detachment system is along similar lines.  Some of it definitely appears to be a desire to introduce some new masters but I suspect some of it also comes down to how they want to divide up the model lines. 

It's probably relevant that Lilith/Ramos/Nicodem were somewhat unifying figures in their factions, about on par with the Governor General in terms of faction influence.  For example, removing Ramos lets them break up the giant block of M&SU models so that Kaeris, Mei Feng and Ironsides can all have their subsets of models unable to work together, which didn't really make sense with Ramos in charge.  His removal lets the Arcanists be more than just the M&SU, which Kaeris's profile really kind of highlights.  I see similar benefits from taking out Lilith and replacing her with a Master more Nephilim specific and Nicodem was certainly problematic as the catch all undead umbrella.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Math Mathonwy said:

Many games kill and permanently mutilate characters in the story a lot and new characters are born from that but the old ones are still playable in the game. Because the games don't really tell a story in the sense that the fluff tells stories. Colette didn't Eliminate the Leadership and kill Nico with the help of Burt and Gracie while Framing Archie for Murder (???). The fluff provides a framework but all games are essentially "what if" style of things. And having dead characters being available for what if scenarios is IMO fine.

Sure. And that's what the Dead Man's Hand pack is for. They are available.

I think I saw someone use GW and the Black Library as an example of how to do it, but GW also blew up the entire Old World of Warhammer and completely changed entire armies around and it worked out great. What Wyrd is doing is pretty minor comparatively. 

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, 7thSquirrel said:

Do Keywords take priority over Faction lines or not?

*stares at suddenly dual faction master*

Oh, yeah, important!!! I only assumed that stompybot cross faction hiring would work, but that was an upgrade card not dual faction in M2E, which rule takes precedence?