Third Edition is Coming!!

Nef

The description posted above for Charge says ‘push this model it’s Mv’. Move says ‘this model moves up to its Mv.’

If there’s still limits on Pushes, like Flight not working during a Push like in 2E, then there’s situations where you would use Move instead. Also Charge appears to be limited to once per activation.

God, I should go to bed ready for another day of GenCon but I've really  got to say... (having missed the last 7 pages of thread)...

Everything I've heard (and I spend about 20 minutes firing questions at one of the guys at the Wyrd stand) about M3E  has been fantastic. If you aren't excited yet, you should be!!!

And more than anything, if you have any concerns or are worried or want to make sure the next edition is great and the transition to it is smooth...

(If you don't help make it better, you can't moan after)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

18 minutes ago, wobbly_goggy said:

God, I should go to bed ready for another day of GenCon but I've really  got to say... (having missed the last 7 pages of thread)...

Everything I've heard (and I spend about 20 minutes firing questions at one of the guys at the Wyrd stand) about M3E  has been fantastic. If you aren't excited yet, you should be!!!

And more than anything, if you have any concerns or are worried or want to make sure the next edition is great and the transition to it is smooth...

(If you don't help make it better, you can't moan after)

Glad to hear that. Anxiously waiting on Gencon to be over so they can get to work on Beta 'vites. :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

As for the ranged game speculation, a bit too early to panic, but yeah, moving twice to engage seems easier and the ranged penalties certainly sting, but for all we know, you can now cheat negative flips on duels making it so you can garuantee shooting at something in cover.

I do hope that ranged only things can be a thing this time though.

10 hours ago, hYena said:

I seriously hope gun actions/attacks get some love, at this point. Outside of increased mobility/threat ranges, the change to cover (+2 defence as well as the attacker getting a negative flip on damage) and the addition of concealment (negative on attack duel) to both go along with, presumably, still having to flip for a target that is engaged, means that anything with a gun icon will be an auto exclude from lists.

And here I was hoping, with m3e, Parker barrows was finally going to be in a better/good spot, guess I was wrong. Something's got to give, one would think.

Just going to say that on the rules reminders pictures I've seen cover and concealment apply to all attacks.

Sure, depending on what is needed to gain those bonuses, ranged attacks probably are still more likely to suffer from them, but life might not all be as bad. Just in general expect :ToS-Range: attacks to be weaker than :ToS-Melee:attacks as a design idea. Malifaux in previous editions was designed so that a static gun line is not a very successful tactic forcing movement and player interaction to occur.

I generally like the changes I've seen so far, and I am supportive of streamlining the rules (without dumbing them down too much).

- I like the new cards, I think they look beautiful and the larger size should make them easier to read. However it seems that the upgrade cards have a different size though. It will make it easier to tell apart from the crew ones, but then we'll need two different sleeve sizes if we want to sleeve them

- I like the change to the charge mechanic, especially the tradeoff between moving extra distance or having an extra attack

- I understand the removal of Sh, Ca etc., as others have said it was a nightmare to explain to people in demo games why a Sh attack wasn't a Projectile one and things like that. I hope that getting rid of those keywords won't limit the design choices too much, though

- I'm not sure about the removal of APs. On paper it sounds easier to just say "you have 2 actions per activation", but the APs were really useful to limit actions to one per turn without the need to have long explanations, especially the (2) AP or (3) AP* ones. Right now we already have to add caveats like "once per Activation" on the Charge, I guess the equivalent of (2) AP ones will require even longer instructions, unless they got rid of the concept (thus limiting design and balancing options again)

* I haven't played in a while, I can't remember if there actually were any (3) AP ones.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, mrninja13 said:

- I understand the removal of Sh, Ca etc., as others have said it was a nightmare to explain to people in demo games why a Sh attack wasn't a Projectile one and things like that. I hope that getting rid of those keywords won't limit the design choices too much, though

I don't think they added anything of value to the game. There's was no real reason to not make :ToS-Range:synonymous with shoot for stuff like bulletproof and it generally caused more hassle than anything else. You can see that from the errata'd Lucius card that they replaced Ml with :ToS-Melee: for his aura buff to make it actually do something worthwhile.

Also, anyone else psyched to not have that stupid Mi vs ML discussion ever again?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Fetid Strumpet said:

Ehat do you mean by removal of AP, terminology change or did they completely revamp the action economy?

I bit of both I guess. I think the concept of "points per activation" and the fact that each action could cost  1 to 3 points was easier to balance and to explain and a little more elegant if you needed restrictions, rather than now having to add caveats to them (like "once per activation").  A master's 3 action, which previously didn't need any restriction disclaimer, now could read something like "once per activation, no other actions allowed when you want to use this" or something like that.

Granted, that broke down a bit with the 0 actions, so I like them now being called just "bonus action"

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, lusciousmccabe said:

I don't think they added anything of value to the game. There's was no real reason to not make :ToS-Range:synonymous with shoot for stuff like bulletproof and it generally caused more hassle than anything else. You can see from the errata'd Lucius card that they replaced Ml with :ToS-Melee: for his aura buff which made it actually do something worthwhile.

Also, anyone else psyched to not have that stupid Mi vs ML discussion ever again?

Yes I agree. It might have given granularity for buffs/debuffs but I prefer this aspect to be streamlined. I did quite a few intro games, and explaining to new players why some ranged attacks were affected by cover and some weren't, or why you couldn't or could use some attacks on a charge (pine box!) was a nightmare

I also hope they will streamline and clean up the terminology a bit. It took me a while to realise that the Rotten Belle's lure wasn't a push, for instance, or that in the duel to get out of a pine box the Death Marshall wins in case of a draw

Edit: I forgot about the multiple masters thing, I'm not too keen on that. Not much because of game balance, but thematically doesn't work for me and it might make masters feel less "special"

I am casual player, after all announcements and photos from Gencon I really like whole direction. Yes, some things are not perfect for me, but I will wait for whole picture.

I always liked summoners but it was too time consuming (paint all models) & expensive to get them. Now I think that I will have at least one 😊

Good job team, if you will be in my country you can reach me, so beer (or cakes [or other stuff]) is on me.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Stark said:

I saw the new Miranda. I thought that the M2E Miranda's model was not good)))

Having looked at a close-up of her card by AndreyF (thanks!) I think she would not look particularly out of place in a Doctor Seuss book. Thinks it at least a side-grade from the pointless angst of M2E, but it's no original Myranda. 

EDIT - Come to think of it the Order initiate could also be from Doctor Seuss. Maybe it was considered the next logical step after Doctor Moreau. :P

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Razhem said:

About Walk, thinking about it, it states that it can't be used to leave engagement, but doesn't really ckear up what happens if you get into engagement during the move, not when starting. I'd probably tighten the wording so going in and out of engagement in a single walk isn't even debatable.

We're only looking at a quick reference card, it's likely in the actual book the walk action is explained in more detail.  Or not. #beta

I'm very curious to see how the charge game plays out.  Long charges are very much a thing, but doing so is likely to result in taking more damage in reprisal.  Of course, an activated model is going to get swarmed by tots so.... just curious all around.  Also, mildly apprehensive about losing WP, though as I try to explain why I realize that most of its benefits carried some pretty big design issues too.

For the most part though, I'm liking what I'm seeing.  M2E was my favorite game that I had no idea how to sell other people on that weren't already sold on it.  This feels significantly more approachable without really losing what makes the game special.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, yool1981 said:

What happened to the sweet sweet GG18?  The spoiled schemes seem like it is a step backward...

And Corrupted Idol appears so randomn it is not tactically interesting.

Is it though?  Without the placement, a crew would ball up as hard as it can and march to wherever the markers will be dropping.  With the spread, it's a hard road for that style of crew.  This will encourage you to run forward and present a reasonable presence across the whole center line.  Then rush to an idol and punt it into the enemy half of the table, as deep as you dare.  It's got an interesting tension between lots of small models so you can better cover the area and a few big models who can afford the big 3 damage hits.  I think the "convert damage to vp" is an interesting angle to explore.

20 hours ago, emiba said:

Not a fan of the Red Joker change, should be at least +2 I think. Only reason I'd ever cheat it on a damage flip over a duel flip would be if I required exactly 1 extra damage to kill something. Guess it makes it easier to choose what to do with it though...

I agree. Not happy with this change. If they want the game to be "faster" reducing damage output on the Red Joker doesn't help.It is in line with how it has been going though.

1st edition: RJ= Severe + another Damage Flip, so Severe + Severe did happen. 2E: RJ = Severe + Weak Damage.  M3: RJ = Severe +1 whoopee 😞 (Would like to see Severe +Weak at least)

Cannot quite understand why people complaining that the BJ is still a 0 and 0 damage... Huh? I have a simple answer for that one: Bad Things Happen. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Respectfully Disagree 1