Brewmaster - A Friendly Ear or Recalled Training?

Cadaver_Junkie

Hi guys,

I have a game coming up soon, and there's one tiny thing I can't decide.

Do I give Brewmaster A Friendly Ear upgrade, or Recalled Training?

His other upgrades are decided (A Barkeep Never Sleeps and Running Tab).

Background; there's going to be poison everywhere, my models and hopefully on my opponent's. I only have a couple of reasonably hard hitters to Obey, and Obey is competing with Hangover.

Do I: Go for easy Obey actions OR do I ensure that the Swill I need to connect actually does connect (Recalled Training)?

Additional: Has anyone else noticed how fantastic Charm Warders will be with Brewmaster?

They attack WP, and he (with Wesley) can reduce WP on enemy models by up to -4.

If you're planning on the Obey & Poison route, the willpower will already be low enough to ensure the control, no need for Recall Training as they will be on negatives and/or negative flips.

Additionally, I've seen someone overlap Drinking Contests with Sensei Yu and put Charm of Vanishing on The Brewmaster... at that point you give up and pick another target in another part of the table.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheers

On 7/20/2018 at 11:53 AM, Jesy Blue said:

If you're planning on the Obey & Poison route, the willpower will already be low enough to ensure the control, no need for Recall Training as they will be on negatives and/or negative flips.

Additionally, I've seen someone overlap Drinking Contests with Sensei Yu and put Charm of Vanishing on The Brewmaster... at that point you give up and pick another target in another part of the table.

I ended up changing my list massively anyway- although on this question I went with the Recalled Training.

Was the right choice, led directly to a 6 point swing in my favour!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Cadaver_Junkie said:

Cheers

I ended up changing my list massively anyway- although on this question I went with the Recalled Training.

Was the right choice, led directly to a 6 point swing in my favour!

Congrats on the win. Recalled Training ftw!

I've never tried Brewmaster before, what list did you end up running? 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Da Git said:

Congrats on the win. Recalled Training ftw!

I've never tried Brewmaster before, what list did you end up running? 

Was a little left-field.

Brewmaster (Recalled Training, A Barkeep Never Sleeps, Running Tab)

Yamaziko (Smoke and Shadows)

Shadow Emissary (Shadow Conflux)

Whiskey Golem (Hidden Agenda)

Oiran

Oiran

Oiran

Tanuki

Fast Reactivating Whiskey Golem that hands out Fast and Focused to the Oiran is nothing to be sneezed at, just saying.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Da Git said:

Wow! Certainly left field. I'm glad it worked out well.

Why no Wesley in the starting list? Do you discard the Upgrade for him? When? 

Would you be able to give a bit of a run down on how it works? 

Regarding Wesley - I wanted to try something different this time, and just couldn't find the points to include him. He didn't end up hitting the table.

Strategy was Ours

Schemes I chose were Inescapable Trap (turns out I was facing a Ramos crew, and those spiders make it easier), and Vendetta - (Whiskey Golem vs Carlos).

I think it was just the element of surprise that did it for me. Brewmaster makes an excellent assassin enabler - turn two, he hit Carlos with a double Swill, and then the Reactivating, Fast Whiskey Golem moved across half the board to hit him hard. I was lucky though, I found out at the end of the game my opponent had chosen Carlos for Undercover Entourage.

The Whiskey Golem is height 3, and very likely to cause damage. Idea was that the Oiran would be reliably given Fast and Focused, which ended up being true.
And Fast Oiran with Smoke and Shadows in a game of Ours were very useful. They can't be charged, they can do something like drop a scheme marker or make an attack or lure (if you have the card), and then still do the 1 or 2 action to disappear and claim a table quarter at end of turn.

Brewmaster existed purely to neuter dangerous enemy models with Swill, or to make them an easier target - which he did (his and miss though, my cards weren't that reliable).

The Whiskey Golem is given reactivate by gaining 3 poison through whatever source, and the Tanuki healing him, removing the poison, and giving the Tri Chi trigger to reactivate. The Shadow Emissary pushes him 4" and gives him fast. Means he can move 46" in one turn if he needs to. Certainly gives a 23” charge threat range, although my opponent was wily with his spiders so it was a walk into the first round of combat with Carlos instead.

• Like 1