Is McTavish still good with Nellie?

longfanz

Hi!

I'm fairly new to Nellie and never played her with mercenaries. The thing is that a lot of them got "nerfed" but I still see them viable, for example, McTavish. Is he still good with her? do we have better options now that he is a little more expensive?

Thanks!

2 hours ago, longfanz said:

Hi!

I'm fairly new to Nellie and never played her with mercenaries. The thing is that a lot of them got "nerfed" but I still see them viable, for example, McTavish. Is he still good with her? do we have better options now that he is a little more expensive?

Thanks!

I don't have much experience with either Nellie or McTavish, so there MAY be some builds where the change is arguably an issue, but the only change was a single SS increase on an already expensive model. He plays in exactly the same way, so unless a build is so strapped for SS that it can't free up a single stone, I'd say he should be fine.

It's not like it's multiple cheaper models, where the cumulative cost increases might be a hindrance. Even if you previously played both McTavish and Jebsen, it's 2SS change out of 50 to spend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Like Morgan said it was a single ss to an already expensive model so if he was worth it before he should still be worth it. Extra ap and debt to the guild on a pretty reliable attack is a good combo, if he is worth his cost anywhere it's probably with Nellie.

I'm a filthy casual and don't play Nellie but I've played McTavish with other masters post nerf and he's allright.

• Thanks 1

If you want a versatile model which is a threat at range, but is not easily locked up in combat and can eat a variaton of markers to deny schemes or summoning, with pseudo 3 ap and access to some upgrades and model synergies which boost him even further (debt, LLC and Quellers) I think he`s still worth it^^

-> it`s a little bit harder to fit him nowadays and it also depends on you playstyle of course, if you want to get up close and personal you`re probably better off with one of our killy henches and 2 upgrades which actually saves you a stone, but he`s perfect if you want to keep the distance at least a little bit or have the ability to reach enemies normally hiding from you or trying to outshoot you :)

He forces a certain playstyle on your opponent which is in itself a huge benefit I would say.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, longfanz said:

tried him today, did not like him very much. The two focus/shots turn 1 are nice but the min 2 on both attacks is quite low :(. I have to play him more to decide though

Put all your eggs into to one giant gator-basket by buffing him with Loco and burning debt and then use all the ap for shots instead of silly focus actions. :D

Loco is a bit over the top but the four min 3 shots give pretty good damage output turn one and there's a decent chance to luck out and draw a mod 5 even at negatives. With the Loco buff he is very scary but you need to have a decent plan for Loco as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, longfanz said:

tried him today, did not like him very much. The two focus/shots turn 1 are nice but the min 2 on both attacks is quite low :(. I have to play him more to decide though

Use Debt on him in a turn where he has aquired a good position and watch him kill stuff with 4 min3 attacks on 14" range, ignoring LoS, cover and randomization.

His strength is that if he`s in range it`s 99% sure that he get`s to shoot, also, what`s the problem with 2 focused shots a turn - a moderate is 4 damage, so 8 on 2 attacks seems ok? :)

Probably wouldn`t take him just for his shooting anymore, so what was the scheme pool?

Use all his abilities to your advantage and eat the enemy markers^^

EDIT:

and try him with a Queller, enchant his rifle and watch armour, incorp., arcane shield and whatever melt before you^^

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/14/2018 at 9:37 AM, Ludvig said:

Put all your eggs into to one giant gator-basket by buffing him with Loco and burning debt and then use all the ap for shots instead of silly focus actions. :D

Loco is a bit over the top but the four min 3 shots give pretty good damage output turn one and there's a decent chance to luck out and draw a mod 5 even at negatives. With the Loco buff he is very scary but you need to have a decent plan for Loco as well.

On 7/14/2018 at 9:47 AM, Tris said:

EDIT:

and try him with a Queller, enchant his rifle and watch armour, incorp., arcane shield and whatever melt before you^^

This is what I am talking about.  My style of malifaux right there.

• Agree 1