Monday Preview - GenCon Nightmare Crew

Nef

6 hours ago, muraki said:

Awesome Monday preview.

I wasn't expecting this for the nightmare edition and I'm looking forward to picking it up since it's a master who's original box didn't excite me.  Although, I may have to get the classic box too since I like the idea of grizzled ulix surrounded by bright ponies in kind of a 'how did I end up with these annoying buggers' way.

That said, I am a bit annoyed that, for once, I may not have the brightest/most pastel crew on the table.  Guess I'll have to work harder to get the least grim-dark crew possible.  I'm thinking rainbows and glitter effects :)

of course, you must match each pony to each faction, then give each one the appropriate butt stamp

On 7/9/2018 at 9:29 PM, Bazlord_Prime said:

Gotta side with most of the above posters whom I recognise as staples of the Gremlin forum: not at ALL digging this. Was really hoping for something cool for Gremlins, because honestly - when will this opportunity come around for us again?

But I also appreciate the comments from those who are excited about it. Good for you! If it does bring in new players, that's great. I'm pretty sure that's exactly what Wyrd are shooting for with this box, rather than pleasing the faithful.

Quote. It makes sense, for Wyrd but let me point out that when you reach the point to where you start favoring new blood over pleasing the faithful, some problems start to arise...I've been in this position before (Warhammer --> Age of CrapMar) and needless to say didn't enjoy that.

• Like 3

On 7/10/2018 at 3:32 AM, Davie said:

I don't think a nightmare Crew has to be tailored towards newer Players.

I think the Crew Looks cool. I like the Idea, it's over the top and ridiculous.

Well if it's not tailored towards newer players as you say (and I agree, if nothing else, because it costs twice as much) and not for the faithful , who exactly is this tailored to?

The answer is not clear, and so I also think this won't sell very well like @PolishSausage said.

14 minutes ago, edopersichetti said:

Well if it's not tailored towards newer players as you say (and I agree, if nothing else, because it costs twice as much) and not for the faithful , who exactly is this tailored to?

The answer is not clear, and so I also think this won't sell very well like @PolishSausage said.

It's obvious. It's tailored to all the people who want to show Reva is riding on a proper sized horse

(Assuming the ponies are scaled correctly). 😜

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, edopersichetti said:

I mean did we get the pricing?

at $50 hell yes, at $60 yes , $70 maaayybee, $80 unlikely, $80+ hell no.

so the question is, do they want to sell couple at higher prices or do they want to sell the stock at much more affordable cost.

( I still do not see it selling as well as past Nightmare boxes even at $50 due to niche nature of box/crew/and composition of crew interactions)

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, -Loki- said:

So now we’re comparing a nightmare set some dont like to scrapping WHFB and releasing Age of Sigmar.

This thread has now reached peak internet.

Naaaaahhhh... Almost, but not quite. I'm sure it can get worse.

And (in my opinion only) it's tailored to those who think it's funny and those who think it's just the random sort of weirdness that keeps Wyrd, weird.  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, edopersichetti said:

Pretty sure it was tailored for me. As I play gremlins, and already have other models that I am doing in the paint schemes of the MLPs.

Thanks Wyrd!

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Brandu said:

And (in my opinion only) it's tailored to those who think it's funny and those who think it's just the random sort of weirdness that keeps Wyrd, weird.  

Well we also had someone last page say that people who buy this are... not sure I’m allowed to actually say it.

This threads pretty far gone.

39 minutes ago, Brandu said:

Oh absolutely. Nobody's compared anyone to Hitler yet. (Modhat: Please don't. Let's keep this friendly, eh? ;))

39 minutes ago, Brandu said:

Agreed. I'd be very surprised if the folks at Wyrd somehow decided that the Nightmare kit needed to appeal to new players and this, somehow, meant going with a My Little Pony theme. What's more likely is that they came up with a bunch of ideas and that someone at the top, probably Nathan, went with which ever one tickled their fancy.

• Agree 2

On 7/11/2018 at 7:56 PM, Adran said:

That's a fairly harsh stick you use, neverborn had nightmare chompybits as the first nightmare, and followed it with nightmare teddy. ( whose entire concept appears to be a children's toy gone wild...)

Ten thunders whole concept is about dual faction and so 3/4 of their masters are dual faction. 

As to theme of these, from what I can see the models them selves are not especially my little pony. They probably fit malifaux more than the wild ones ever did. ( at least for me). Each to there own. 

"Crew". @SoylentRobot said "'their own' Nightmare crew", and that's correct. There's plenty of individual Alt/Nightmare models floating around for different factions - hell, the Gremlins might even have more than anyone else! - but a full crew is a rare thing. Personally, I just got so impressed by the WIld Ones, the Dark Carnival and the Crazy Cat Lady (a little less so, but not much), that the MLP thing just doesn't compute. I feel I need to emphasise tho: that just MY opinion, so it's not a right/wrong thing.

2 hours ago, Brandu said:

2 hours ago, Rathnard said:

What's more likely is that they came up with a bunch of ideas and that someone at the top, probably Nathan, went with which ever one tickled their fancy.

What keeps bugging me though is the supposedly immense cost of producing the metal molds for casting in plastic. (smaller) Companies do Kickstarters in order to be able to afford this kind of thing, so it feels off to assume that Wyrd might just go through the expense (not to mention the potential for hassles, mistakes and losses due to scale issues, like they had with Mounted Guard (and others?)), just on a whim. I'm not involved in the industry, so I have no idea what their process is for arriving at a Nightmare Crew concept, but I'd be pretty sure it isn't at all random, or just whatever concept was the first one that blindfolded Nathan's dart ended up hitting. 

This crew box looks like it won't be out of place on the table with most Gremlin models. MLP has a surprising large and loyal following. Like the Bob Ross model, I suspect that this crew box will have a lot of appeal with current Malifaux players and also with people that just buy and paint models that catch their eye.  

3 hours ago, Bazlord_Prime said:

What keeps bugging me though is the supposedly immense cost of producing the metal molds for casting in plastic. (smaller) Companies do Kickstarters in order to be able to afford this kind of thing, so it feels off to assume that Wyrd might just go through the expense (not to mention the potential for hassles, mistakes and losses due to scale issues, like they had with Mounted Guard (and others?)), just on a whim. I'm not involved in the industry, so I have no idea what their process is for arriving at a Nightmare Crew concept, but I'd be pretty sure it isn't at all random, or just whatever concept was the first one that blindfolded Nathan's dart ended up hitting. 

It's a fair point, but none of us outside Wyrd actually know about the economics of casting new plastic kits, and how profitable the nightmare kits are or aren't. Maybe it's a factor in what sort of Nightmare kit they make, or maybe it's not.

My own guess about Wyrd's decision process was based on my memory of Nathan's response to the Nightmare Hanging tree when it came out. A subset of the community was upset with it not being a "proper crew", and IIRC Nathan's response was essentially "I went with what I liked, if you disagree then you don't have to buy it".  Mind you, that was six (?) years ago so who knows what's happened between then and now. 

In any case, Wyrd's decision process in designing Nightmare kits isn't really our business. At best, we can let them know whether we like/loathe the design and more importantly, vote with our wallets. ;)

• Agree 2

In light of the recent “we just realized, we have daughters, what’re we going to give them to get them into our hobby?!” soft-edged direction Malifaux seems to have taken this year, I took some time this week to find other minis games—not board games with minis, straight-up ‘played out of a rulebook’ miniatures gaming, with a player base big enough to maybe find a meta—appealing directly to daughters and not just gender-neutral.

I didn’t find a lot.

I didn’t find anything, tbh.

The closest I found was right back here, with Colette.

Wyrd might be on to something, here, with this box. An utterly unanswered demand. Maybe I personally loathe dollies, doilies, and pink because it was and is a safe choice for gifting to a girl, but the need to gift safe things to girls still exists.

If the price of opening up the hobby is having to listen to a chattering stream of pony references week upon week, I’ll be OK with that. :P

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

On 7/12/2018 at 9:08 PM, Bazlord_Prime said:

That “immense cost” is a relative thing, comparing the cost of a metal mold to the relatively low cost of producing a mold for metal spin casting.  But consider how many plastic figures Wyrd produces each year, and ask yourself how immense, relatively speaking, one more is.

Because what you really have to keep in mind that this was announced as the prize for a player involvement campaign.  So it seems to me that accounting said it was in the budget, and that the cost of the mold could be written off as promotional costs, and any sales or new interest generated would be profit.  

The particular design chosen may have been influenced by whim, but the decision to spend the money on a nightmare edition figure wasn’t.  Although I don’t think it’s possible to underestimate “What’s the point of owning a miniature company if you can’t make what you want, or what strikes your interest?” as a motivation.

Disclaimer:  I have no idea what Wyrd’s finances look like.  

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, solkan said:

Because what you really have to keep in mind that this was announced as the prize for a player involvement campaign.  So it seems to me that accounting said it was in the budget, and that the cost of the mold could be written off as promotional costs, and any sales or new interest generated would be profit. 

This is actually a good point. Wasn't Hamelin a prize set as well?

36 minutes ago, -Loki- said:

This is actually a good point. Wasn't Hamelin a prize set as well?

Not sure about that one but fairly sureThe Wild ones were. Quite like the way the special sets are tied that closely to games people played its an intreseting way of doing things.

14 hours ago, Gnomezilla said:

The closest I found was right back here, with Colette.

I am torn. On one hand part of me feels the influence of a male-eye on Colette and her crew, particularly some of the fluff, and it's not exactly "daughter" material. On the other, Colette IS a proponent for Girl Power and the right to do as she wishes with her charms and sexuality and her crew sorta follows that. Malifaux has by far and above (from what I've SEEN at least) the most diversified cast of power women, all without making them seem "girly". But that leads me to the fact that "girly" is just fine too, and isn't particularly out of place anywhere. It's not like Malifaux doesn't have people that like pink or ponies in it... Not even sure where I was rambling with this lol.