Monday Preview - GenCon Nightmare Crew

Nef

15 minutes ago, Boon said:

You made it again guys. This is bonkers.

I love it and need one 😄

Somebody else thinking about a Deadpool Ulix? Or is it just my wyrd mind? 😁

I'd been going for a 'Hey Duggee' McMourning with Test Subjects - so if I can use any of these models for it, I'm all over this release.

Plus, one of my mates is a total Brony and this kit will be plastic ecstasy to him.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, yool1981 said:

Is goofyness a thing now?

I went into Malifaux for the cowboys fighting against steampunk robots, mages and horrors while trying to keep their sanity.

This nightmare crew and the arts we have seen in the recent monday previouses tend to remove this horror effect, as did the "Broken Promises" fluff which was interesting but tending more towards the poorest scenarios of the worst X-Men (Guild is no longer an oppressive facist government but a group of colleagues meeting at the coffee machine and bitch about their respective hairs, Outcast meet up to create their super lair, the TT fluff looks like a HK movie of the 80s...)...

I'm a sad panda.

Goofiness has been Gremlins thing since M2E.  Gremlins have never been about gothic horror and aside from the Whiskey Golem, steampunk. They’re drunk rednecks who delight in the myriad ways they can blow themselves up.

This might be a tad goofier than Gremlins in general but they’re the goofy faction.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, Fawoosh said:

I very much doubt it, considering other Nightmare boxes didn't get the whole array of their crew in Nightmare form. I imagine Hamelin did solely because his entire theme is contained within those two boxes; being his master box and the story encounter box.

Other masters who have wider themes such as Rasputina and McCabe didn't received additional support.

Colette/Mr Cooper got a Nightmare Coryphee.

I wouldn’t be shocked if they did Nightmare Sow and Piglet Boxes. Don’t really need a War Pig, since the War Wabbit is silly enough to be in theme.

• Agree 1

Gotta side with most of the above posters whom I recognise as staples of the Gremlin forum: not at ALL digging this. Was really hoping for something cool for Gremlins, because honestly - when will this opportunity come around for us again?

But I also appreciate the comments from those who are excited about it. Good for you! If it does bring in new players, that's great. I'm pretty sure that's exactly what Wyrd are shooting for with this box, rather than pleasing the faithful.

• Like 2

I think we would have preferred something with a Slick/Cool (McCabe/Cooper) look to it as opposed to a "trolly" crew.

In my personal opinion, I do not believe this will be a big seller as its a very niche master with a very very niche theme that, as posted above, needs more models to fully support it.

• Agree 1

First of all, this box is awesome at so many levels, the only thing that I am not sure right now is how many boxes I will order during GenCon sale... 

I skipped two previous GenCon sales, and now, only because of this box, I absolutely will participate at this year one.

I personally understand people who are upset by this box, but I want you to consider the following:

1. About this box being not "nightmare" enough - just look in the eyes of the pink one in a hat and tell me that you are not scared!😱 But, seriously, I cannot say that McCabe box was scary or nightmare - the models  were just different and awesome with that,  but also easily identifiable as who is who, and this box fit this criteria perfectly - you definitely know and from the first try understand who is master and who is his henchmen...

2. About other possible themes - in fact, Wyrd already done both rabbits (war wabbit) and other bayou creatures (Bayou Bash), so doing new nightmare box with this themes will result in repeating themselves, and "new" nightmare box will in fact will be not so much new...

3. Regarding not fitting theme of Malifaux - cowboy, steampunk, nightmares, etc. - guys, seriously, gremlins as a whole faction are not fitting in this themes that you mentioned! I mean, gremlins have model who uses her female charm to scare aforementioned  cowboys, robots and nightmares so much that they will run straight from her, and nobody seems to have problem with that!

In conclusion - I think that Wyrd absolutely nailed this Nightmare box. It is consistent in theme, easily identifiable at the tabletop, and got a silly vibe  for which I started gremlins at the first place.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Respectfully Disagree 1

13 hours ago, Durza said:

This is 200% a @Rathnard crew.

Oh yeah. I might even have to by 200% Nightmare boxes this year. :D

To be honest I was hoping for an Alt Zipp box, if only because he's the one Gremlin Master I don't have. But this is pretty awesome nonetheless.

5 hours ago, -Loki- said:

Colette/Mr Cooper got a Nightmare Coryphee.

I wouldn’t be shocked if they did Nightmare Sow and Piglet Boxes. Don’t really need a War Pig, since the War Wabbit is silly enough to be in theme.

I'm at least hoping for Piglets and possibly the Sow. Warpig would be good too, but if they do one it would literally be the third Alt Warpig they've made (War Rooster, War Wabbit and now War Pony?).  Only the legendary Teddy comes close (who's also at three IIRC, if you count the Puppet version).

3 hours ago, Bazlord_Prime said:

Gotta side with most of the above posters whom I recognise as staples of the Gremlin forum: not at ALL digging this. Was really hoping for something cool for Gremlins, because honestly - when will this opportunity come around for us again?

Probably Black Friday. Or Easter. Or when that Bayou racing game comes out. TBH Gremlins have gotten ALOT of alt models already. Pretty sure it's way more than every other Faction. ;)

• Like 1

Piglet/Sow previews like they did for Coryphee/Rat Kings and Catchers will decide for me if I buy this.

If you’re going to invest heavily in theme you need to support it with expansion products or it’s just half finished. I can live without the War Pig (due to the Wabbit fitting in fine) and Gracie ( there’s only one Gracie). Stuffed/Flying Piglets can be converted easy enough if they do a Piglet Box.

1 hour ago, Ferahgo said:

3. Regarding not fitting theme of Malifaux - cowboy, steampunk, nightmares, etc. - guys, seriously, gremlins as a whole faction are not fitting in this themes that you mentioned! I mean, gremlins have model who uses her female charm to scare aforementioned  cowboys, robots and nightmares so much that they will run straight from it, and nobody seems to have problem with that!

Disagree. They fit it as much as other factions precisely because a lot of the gremlins are based on existing models in other factions because gremlins copy them or are influenced by them.

1 hour ago, Rathnard said:

Probably Black Friday. Or Easter. Or when that Bayou racing game comes out. TBH Gremlins have gotten ALOT of alt models already. Pretty sure it's way more than every other Faction. ;)

Pssst! <Nightmare Crew> is what I was talking about (and you know it 😉). As for Black Friday etc, I want talking about availability, but opportunity.

Yeah, there's plenty of other Factions that haven't had a Nightmare crew yet, which is why it'll be a long time before the G-men get another shot at it, which is why I'm a little bummed about it. Still - can't fault the enthusiasm of some of the reactions here. Sounds like Wyrd will shift quite a few of these boxes!

3 minutes ago, Bazlord_Prime said:

Pssst! <Nightmare Crew> is what I was talking about (and you know it 😉). As for Black Friday etc, I want talking about availability, but opportunity.

Yeah, there's plenty of other Factions that haven't had a Nightmare crew yet, which is why it'll be a long time before the G-men get another shot at it, which is why I'm a little bummed about it. Still - can't fault the enthusiasm of some of the reactions here. Sounds like Wyrd will shift quite a few of these boxes!

Well we've had some new limited models at black Friday before, such as rasputina, and the nightmare expansion boxes, Easter has a huge number of alt gremlins released for it, so actually it's a pretty good answer for opportunities. 

1 hour ago, wobbly_goggy said:

Disagree. They fit it as much as other factions precisely because a lot of the gremlins are based on existing models in other factions because gremlins copy them or are influenced by them.

Exactly. Gremlins used to be drunken-crazy-copy-cats with occasional support of local fauna like oversized roosters or pigs.

What brought me to Malifaux was a set of great looking minis in tasty cowboy-steampunk environment. To be honest if someone told me 'hey, join Malifaux! Look how it looks like!' and showed me this box i would run away faster than Usain Bolt :)

• Haha 1
  • Agree 5
  • Respectfully Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, daniello_s said:

Exactly. Gremlins used to be drunken-crazy-copy-cats with occasional support of local fauna like oversized roosters or pigs.

What brought me to Malifaux was a set of great looking minis in tasty cowboy-steampunk environment. To be honest if someone told me 'hey, join Malifaux! Look how it looks like!' and showed me this box i would run away faster than Usain Bolt :)

I don't think a nightmare Crew has to be tailored towards newer Players.

I think the Crew Looks cool. I like the Idea, it's over the top and ridiculous.

1 hour ago, wobbly_goggy said:

Not really. Only Ophelia really copies anyone, and that's the Oretga. Somer just has the big hat=in charge thing, Wong is basically just a weaboo, Ulix does his own thing, Zipp does his own thing, Brewmaster does his own thing, Merris does her own thing, and Zoraida isn't a gremlin so she doesn't count. Of the 7 gremlin masters only 1 actually directly mimics anyone, and the majority of the other Gremlins that actually mimic anyone fall within her box. Other than her there is what, Sparks and the Criers? 

A lot of people seem to have their own idea of what Malifaux is, and seem to just gloss over all the rest of malifaux that doesn't align with their view of the game.

• Like 1
  • Respectfully Disagree 3

I really like this crew! I'd love to see some additional models prepared for Black Friday. Now, once said so, I won't be buying it: I have all the other nightmare crews, but I'm not starting gremlins...

... but my girlfriend has all the gremlin faction, and her birthday is in August and Wyrd comes and releases this like!! Her birthday's present just appear by itself making my life much easier, THANK YOU SO MUCH WYRD!!!!! 

Now, regarding some comments about being or not nightmare enough... just bear in mind the alt. Viktorias. By themselves, looking at the render you wouldn't see too much horror packing there, but then you see the way the great Giraldez painted them, with all the blood and now we are talking! Just picture this, a bright pink pony with rainbox horsehair and all the mouth in blood and gore, crazy eyes and stuff like that.

Can't wait to see the models we'll be getting when surpassing the 100 $ frontier!

15 minutes ago, santaclaws01 said:

Not really. Only Ophelia really copies anyone, and that's the Oretga. Somer just has the big hat=in charge thing, Wong is basically just a weaboo, Ulix does his own thing, Zipp does his own thing, Brewmaster does his own thing, Merris does her own thing, and Zoraida isn't a gremlin so she doesn't count. Of the 7 gremlin masters only 1 actually directly mimics anyone, and the majority of the other Gremlins that actually mimic anyone fall within her box. Other than her there is what, Sparks and the Criers? 

A lot of people seem to have their own idea of what Malifaux is, and seem to just gloss over all the rest of malifaux that doesn't align with their view of the game.

Merris is copying Kaeris.  I feel like I read way back in 1st edition that the somer and the hat thing was copying what they thought gave humans authority.  Wrastlers and mancha roja aren't copying named characters, but copying people per the Wong story.  And the Lightning Bugs are copying Oxfordian Mages.  Zipp and his whole crew are copying the people he stole the ship from I believe.  There may be other parallels but I feel like they'd be too much of a stretch.

I get why people don't like the box, and hey, more power too you, but saying Malifaux has a definite theme is kind of hard to do when the game has so many conflicting elements. It's quirky, it's funny, it's creepy, it's horrific, it's awesomely western. The only unifying trait it has, is it's grimdark nature. Even the gremlins lighthearted tone is undercut by the sinister and disturbing reality of the pigapult or the little gassers. Well, maybe not Trixibelle. But still- most of Malifaux is inherently grimdark. and what isn't grimdark about these twisted and ****ed up character from children's television? Maybe these would have been better as Neverborn, because they are very similar to the Teddy and the Dreamer's friends. I can see why people dislike the disruption of the lore that this brings however, and completely agree that the last set of stories were very lackluster.