Custom Scheme Marker Ideas

I recently decided that I'd make my own custom scheme markers, so I bought a 10 pack of the translucent purple Wyrd 30mm bases. But I realised that I don't actually know what a scheme marker is meant to represent ... 

I'd like each one to be unique, but still stay within a theme. With my Neverborn minis I've gone for a sort of Gothic mansion approach to the basing (black and white tiles, wooden floors, ornate garden pieces, etc).

So I guess my question is, what kind of effect should I ideally be shooting for here? Do you think they should be like tiny generic terrain pieces, or should they be more themed as terrain that a character has interacted with? One of my ideas is to make little wooden signs with 'ours' written on. Equally, I like the idea of making them into tiny ritual sites with pentagrams and candles and stuff, but I don't know if that really works as a scheme marker. What's your take on this?

Also, if you've got any cool examples, please feel free to share! 😎

For gameplay purposes I would make them as low profile as possible. It's possible for models to move on top of scheme markers to block access or just because it suits them, so it's better not to have something too 3-D. The ritual site thing sounds like a perfect idea, just go with your usual basing whatever Neverborn symbols you can think of. If you've ever played Diablo 2 think of the random floor tiles with blood spattered pentagons and candles etc you find around the cathedral levels. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, lusciousmccabe said:

For gameplay purposes I would make them as low profile as possible. It's possible for models to move on top of scheme markers to block access or just because it suits them, so it's better not to have something too 3-D. The ritual site thing sounds like a perfect idea, just go with your usual basing whatever Neverborn symbols you can think of. If you've ever played Diablo 2 think of the random floor tiles with blood spattered pentagons and candles etc you find around the cathedral levels. 

That sounds like a fair point. Not played Diablo, but I will have a look. I've seen it, and I think you're right that it's the aesthetic I'm going for. I love all that Castlevania-type stuff! I'm dying to paint up some demonic sigils (hopefully without summoning any actual demons in the process), so I think I will have a go at this.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...