Mine Soulstone and Damage Prevention.

WWHSD

Question

"2) Mine Soulstone: This model suffers 2 damage which may not be reduced. If it is still in play after suffering this damage, add one Soulstone to this Crew's Soulstone Pool."

If a Soulstone Miner uses the Mine Soulstone action and spends a Soulstone to prevent the damage, does it still gain a Soulstone if it prevents all of the damage?

4 answers to this question

FAQ entry 17 doesn’t apply to following the instructions in an effect (if you prevent damage that an effect says you have to take, you have followed the instructions properly), it refers to triggering effects based on suffering damage.  Otherwise, you have the argument:

- You’re getting attacked and have to suffer X damage.

- You spend a Soulstone, flip well, and prevent all of it.

- Someone pulls out FAQ 17 and tries to claim that the game just broke, you need to suffer that damage anyway, or something else.

So if the soulstone miner performs Mine Soulstone, spends a Soulstone for a prevention flip and flips well, if someone else nearby had an effect triggered by “when an X model suffers damage” that effect wouldn’t go off.

Luckily, for Mine Soulstone, the next sentence just cares whether the model still exists, not whether it suffered damage.  “If it is still in play after suffering this damage, ...”. Did you do the “Suffer 2 Damage” Step?  If so, it is “after suffering this damage”, whether it prevented it or not.

• Like 3

I would hazard a guess it's no, because the clause refers to it suffering damage, though arguably not in the normal sense.

17. If a model suffers 0 (zero) damage, does it count as having suffered damage?
No.

The condition could have been worded "If it is not killed by this damage", if that was the intent, or something similar.

Though I can't for the life of me figure out why you would do this, from a tactical perspective. :D

It does make me question that Rasputina's SubZero wouldn't apply if you soulstoned it all.

The one thing I do look forward to with a eventual rewrite of the rules is them getting a more concise and easily understood flowchart of how everything works, and using specifically defined terms rather than colloquial English, so that the arguments over stuff like the Lucky Effigy don't go 20+ pages.

Soulstonrs preventing down to 0 only stop after damaging triggers.for the purposes of abilities you still suffered damage, for example McMourning still heals based on original damage flipped, not what is left after reducion and prevention. The same is true for how mucha gremlin suffers after declaring dumb luck.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1