Not new to thunders or malifaux by any stretch, but I am having issues with asami and her list building. For games with summoners, I generally take an elite crew and summon to flavour.

This doesn't seem to work with asami for me and I lose out on a lot of potential.

How do you build your core crew for asami? Here is my core:

50 SS Ten Thunders Crew
Asami Tanaka + 7 Pool
 - Borrowed Time (1)
 - A Heavenly Design (2)
 - Nefarious Pact (2)
Sensei Yu (9)
 - Wandering River Style (2)
 - The Peaceful Waters (0)
Yasunori (13)
 - Equality (1)
Monk Of Low River (4)

(exported from CrewFaux)

Where would you suggest change?

I see flicker on asami as a massive burden and quite costly if I get it wrong.. advice here would be great too.

Cheers guys

If you take Borrowed Time, either Amanjaku or The Fate of Mortals Upgrade is a must.  Both are fine, but you NEED one of them. 

Okay, so you have 16 Stones left and only 4 models on the table.  Yokai is the best bang for you buck and goes well with Yu's movement tricks.  You could hire 3, pull Nefarious Pact, add The Fate of Mortals, leaves you with a Cache of 4.

I'm a little more reckless; I'd go with 4 Tengu instead.

I'd hire in at least 1 yokai and add in a charm warder to protect your Yas. Not sure Sensei is an auto take either. Our local Thunder master @InvokeChaos advices to bring some sort of card draw. Hannah or Anna Lovelace for instance might make the cut.

Yu is neat for a couple of reasons, but nonetheless loses out to the Emissary in most lists. If there's a lot of marker schemes, and you're bringing a Crime Boss, Yu can be good.

I haven't played Asami yet, but I feel like a hired Obsidian Oni could do more than a Yokai. Having a source of corpse/scrap markers can increase the longevity of your summons.

Also, Terracotta Warrior. Protects Yas,  cycles Asami's situational upgrades, reasonable scheme runner with unimpeded. 

3 hours ago, DonCheadle said:

Yu is neat for a couple of reasons, but nonetheless loses out to the Emissary in most lists. If there's a lot of marker schemes, and you're bringing a Crime Boss, Yu can be good.

I haven't played Asami yet, but I feel like a hired Obsidian Oni could do more than a Yokai. Having a source of corpse/scrap markers can increase the longevity of your summons.

Also, Terracotta Warrior. Protects Yas,  cycles Asami's situational upgrades, reasonable scheme runner with unimpeded. 

I'd say Flicker upgrade and Ama are fine over Obsidian Oni, and Yokai are squishy but flexible. TC warrior is a good point though. Keeping Yas alive is always a bit of a burden.

• Like 1

Like I said, having no practical experience playing Asami, the best I can do is theorycraft, which folds at the first stiff breeze. You may very well be right. 

Obsidians are good performers in general, and summoning a Yokai/having an Obsidian usually makes more sense than the reverse. 

I dunno about Ama, we have so many great models at that point range that I'm just not convinced she's the best option. By no means bad, but ml5 just isn't all that. If she could Obey Yas for another 3 attacks it'd be a different story, but as is, I dunno. 

1 hour ago, DonCheadle said:

I dunno about Ama, we have so many great models at that point range that I'm just not convinced she's the best option. By no means bad, but ml5 just isn't all that. If she could Obey Yas for another 3 attacks it'd be a different story, but as is, I dunno. 

I think he means amanjaku (spelling ?)

2 hours ago, fanteegi said:

I think he means amanjaku (spelling ?)

No, they mean Ama no Zaku

I'm not a big fan of Yu in Asami unless he's combo'd with the Crime Boss for that sweet card draw.

In general my Asami crew has the Emissary, Yasunori and the Terracotta Warrior. I also like Amanjaku a lot more thanks to Borrowed Time actually giving Asami some reliable summoning. Don't forget Terracotta Warrior's protection can also negate the half Wounds damage from the Emissaries conflux! That thing can do wonders!

In general my crews are already so stuffed that I can't fit in anything like an Oni and I just summon them with Borrowed Time.

Flicker on Asami is auto-include, imo. Add her totem in to get some back, use her aggressively to get some back. Being able to stone (not stone but using flicker) to add suits to summons or suits to her attacks is amazing.

I never hire Yokai, they make excellent summons. Use Yokai as missiles. Summon within 4 inches, do 1 dmg to asami to allow the to charge. Profit. They drop scheme markers when they flicker out, which makes Asami excellent in scheme marker pools.

Shadow emissary is almost always in my Asami lists. Giving Yas (who obviously is in every list) fast, and providing Asami with more scheme markers to heal if she needs or just for doing what the emissary does like it's focused attacks. 

Charm warder pretty much makes it in every list I play with any master because... Charm warder. Also Yamaziko is amazing at 6ss. With nimble, min 3 dmg, and brace Yari, amazing model that can do whatever you need it to do while your opponent is dealing with a never ending flow of Yokai, joros, and ob oni. 

Asami is now the absolute best summoner in the game with the nerf to nico. Get play in while you can because Jan 19 errata will be her reckoning. 

• Like 1

Do you think? She's good n all but I feel like she has weaknesses that can be exploited and isn't nearly as versatile as Nicodem used to be. 

Asami is very good mind, but I don't know whether or not she's broken, or even our undisputed best master.

Bring armor and watch Asami become useless. She's far from the best summoner in the game. I have a few Nicodem matches lined up where I'm playing my Thunders. We'll see howmuch the nerf has really hurt him.

Currently the best summoner is imo probably Kirai and I estimate Nicodem will still be coming close as second. Hamelin's semi-summoning with the rat engine would probably be my third spot when it comes to summoning crews.

Why do I rate Asami as average? Just like @DonCheadle said she has exploitable weaknesses and no real versatility.

Her main summon, Yokai, only has ml5 with + on charge attacks and that's it. The other summons are generally not worth it, unless you give them extra Flicker. It has become easier thanks to the new wave 5 upgrade, but it does put you on a timer or force you to take Amanjaku as your totem.

I do enjoy taking Mr Tannen with her for his aura to give +2 to masks which makes summoning easier, but the wave 5 upgrade lowered the value from that a lot. Tannen is still a great piece, but not a must-take for me anymore.

Asami would be a lot stronger in a lot of other factions, but Ten Thunders has inherent problems with several defensive mechanics such as Armor which are slowly being solved. Sure, you could bring a Katanaka Crime Boss for that. You're dedicating 8 stones (+ upgrade stones) and then have to play the positioning game well with him. Plenty of other summoners have a summon that can just bypass the defensive mechanics and that's something Asami doesn't have. I hope The Undying ecounter box adds something to help her out.

Well, I disagree with some of those assessments of Asami. For one, yokai are absolutely amazing as a summon. They're worth hiring at 5ss in other crews, and when you can charge them off right after being summoned at + to attacks with a myriad of triggers really forces your opponent to spend resources to protect assets. All the while, while those 3 yokai summons are forcing cards, you still have a bunch of excellent hitters and support models who didn't even activate yet. Don't look over Yokai or throwing a Joro in the middle of an enemy with an extra flicker or popping off a corpse marker or two with their 3 inch MI can be a real headache. 

I don't think Asami is broken, but now that there isn't nico to whine about, eyes are going to focus on the next best, which imo is Asami. I hear a lot about armor and ten thunders, but I rarely see people in tournaments or friendlies stacking armor. I think its a non issue. I typically only summon yokai, joro and the occasional Obsidian. I have used asasame against poisoners for some niche things, but not often. I don't see her summons being all that versatile, and there really not meant to be a tool kit like Sandeep, but what they do is charge immediately and forces your opponent to waste AP on them, mostly likely more AP than you spend on them. I love looking over at a near empty opponent hand and still have Emissary and Yas to activate. 

It sounds like everyone likes A Heavenly Design and Borrowed Time with Asami. Is that accurate? What else? Grasping Strands seems like it might be the best third option. I've only put her on the table once though, so I haven't formed a real opinion on her upgrades yet. 

What do you take?

I really like Fate of Mortals if I'm taking Borrowed Time. The card draw is always nice and bumping Asami's flicker allows you to use Borrowed Time more recklessly, punishing opponents scoring points by making it sustain my master.

And Asami definitely isn't the strongest summoner. Not even close. She's incredibly card hungry, lacks particularly strong or versatile support options, will fold to a stiff breeze, doesn't have a varied toolbox in her summons, her summon's aren't exactly stellar with low stats, damage and so-so abilities across the board, her summons generally won't count for cheap activation fodder...

Sandeep, the Dreamer, Kirai, Hamelin, hell even Ramos and probably still Nico are all quite a bit better. 

50 minutes ago, Tokapondora said:

And Asami definitely isn't the strongest summoner. Not even close.

lol.

• Respectfully Disagree 1

Servant of the Dragons is big as her WP sucks. If you are going up against NB, Thunders or Ressers then Nefarious Pact is a must thanks to their easy access to condition removal. Nothing worse than summoning a Joro and Chiaki just pinging it away with a single attack

I always take the emissary and Bettari in addition to Yas and summon in whatever else I need. Bettari shutting off triggers for herself and Yas has won me a lot of games.

2 hours ago, Vorbeck said:

I always take the emissary and Bettari in addition to Yas and summon in whatever else I need. Bettari shutting off triggers for herself and Yas has won me a lot of games.

My only problem with Bettari is that she competes with Asami for cards.

I've never had more than 3 in play due to their Flicker mechanic. It all depends on how you use them. If you charge straight away with just Flicker +2, they will sacrifice end of Turn. If you give them additional Flicker, you can lat them last several Turns.

On Bettari: I really like bringing her in Asami. I've had Turn 1 Alpha strikes with  a Fast Yasunori and a Bettari who got placed twice from summoning. That's a scary thing to think about. On the other hand it has been mentioned she is very card-hungry, which competes with Asami. Thanks to Asami's new upgrade you can actually summon in Jorogumo and not feed bad about that 13.

Something a lot of people forget is the synergy Asami has with the rest of the Oni. Asami can give masks to all Oni within 4". This gives Yokai a guaranteed great Trigger for saving card in the dpuble + on damage and Yasunori also gets one of his triggers guaranteed.

The major downside with Bettari is threefold:

1. 8 stone is a very competitive cost for Thunders. If you're bringing Bettari, you usually also take an upgrade, so that ups her to 9
  2. Besides her base stats of 6/6/8 she doesn't have any defensive tricks. This means she can easily be killed if you overextend with her.
  3. Card-hungry due to her damage track of 2/3/6. When you bring her in, make sure to have at least 1 card to cheat a severe damage or she is very underwhelming.

At least, that's how I see it. Even though she has those downsides, I like bringing her in for her offensive capabilities and the amount of pressure she can generate from being on a flank.