Is Levi Worth Playing Without Pariah Upgrades?

MalifauxDave

At the moment the only non-outcast undead and constructs I have are: A guardian, a watcher and a hunter. I can't imagine the upgrade being worth it to take one or more of these guys so I guess the question is how much of Levi's power comes from his huge hiring pool? I'm sure I could throw together some combination of freikorps, void and merc good stuff together. I'm just not sure if its worth it without the out of faction models. If it is I'll probably finish building and priming this week if not it will go on the back burner. 

He can play fine with only outcasts. You don't need a pariah upgrades. Sure, the more options you have for hiring, the stronger he can be, but it's a law of diminishing returns. So owning necropunks for stake a claim makes him much stronger in that game, but not so much in other games.

1 hour ago, MalifauxDave said:

Are there any other models that would be good to pick up over time?

Honestly I'm a rubbish person to answer this. I have too many models and will happily build obscure mixes to try them out. My advice is to play what you have, see where you struggle, and then look for ways to deal with that problem. And that probably means the purchase order for you would be different to mine. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Levi's ability to hire out of faction isn't really all that. You can grab some neat things and there's one or two neat combos, but outcasts now have models that help fill most niches without needing to rely on the out of faction hiring. Levi's hiring pool used to be amazing, but that was back when there were not many options in outcasts themselves. Now with 5 books of models every faction can usually bring a variety of solutions to their problems instead of only having limited choices.
That said, a mobile toolkit wouldn't hurt.

• 3 weeks later...

I find that he works best with a combination of in/out of faction models.  I run exclusively Iron and have seen very strong results.  Terracotta is a must (switching upgrades allows multiple Oathkeepers on Levi which is insane, as well as Ancient Protections which makes any of the strong enforcers you're bringing into insanely hard to kill), Necropunks are universally good for basically any scheme running or interaction-based Strategy (Symbols, Ply, Dig Graves, Search Ruins, Recover Evidence, etc) I love the Hooded Rider, he is a mobile killing tank whole projects power across the majority of the board.  Peacekeeper can be a strong pick, great beater (especially with Ancient Protections) and denies scheming (he can eat scheme markers in a pulse).  Guardian, watcher, and hunter I don't use, but all have places in certain builds I feel.  

I personally feel that Levi is strongest with a mix of models from out of faction, but that's just me.  Obviously it comes down to money you want to spend, but if you want to play Levi in a competitive setting, I strongly encourage some outside faction models. 

I've found that in the comparisons between the base Outcast models are the choice models that can be brought-in from outside, those models generally have some clear benefit or advantage. 

That being said, that's just my experience. I've never tried to run a dedicated Outcast Levi list.

I basically play two lists with Leveticus - Horsemen and All In on Theme.

Horsemen:
Leveticus
Pale Rider
Hooded Rider
Dead Rider
Waif x 2
Hodgepodge Emissary > Mech Rider

All In on Theme:
Leveticus
Alyce
Waif x 2
Ashes and Dust
Abominatinos x 4 > Card draw then summon Desolation Engine

In both lists, the spare 10 SS go towards upgrades/model for flavor or strat/scheme utility.

Burning Levi!

Good staying power, bunch of crazy mobility, lots of burning, decent killiness

Declared Faction: Outcasts 
Crew Name: Fire Levi 50ss 
Leader: Leveticus - Cache:(7)
_Pariah of Iron 1ss 
_Oath Keeper 1ss 
Hollow Waif 0ss 
Hollow Waif 0ss 
Fire Golem 9ss 
_Scramble 1ss 
Wanyudo 8ss 
_Scramble 1ss 
Grave Golem 9ss 
_The Bigger They Are 1ss 
Arcane Effigy 4ss 
Terracotta Warrior 6ss 
Mobile Toolkit 3ss

thoughts?

On 7/31/2018 at 5:30 AM, Seadhna said:

Burning Levi!

_Pariah of Iron 1ss 
_Oath Keeper 1ss 
Hollow Waif 0ss 
Hollow Waif 0ss 
Fire Golem 9ss 
_Scramble 1ss 
Wanyudo 8ss 
_Scramble 1ss 
Grave Golem 9ss 
_The Bigger They Are 1ss 
Arcane Effigy 4ss 
Terracotta Warrior 6ss 
Mobile Toolkit 3ss

thoughts?

What Grave Golem does in this list?

On 8/6/2018 at 6:19 PM, Seadhna said:

Min 4, doesn't really die, can actually be bombed up the board with Levi

Yeah, looked on it's card, damage output may be huge. But how Leveticus deliver him in enemy face? + not actualy thematic if we talk abut burning) But that's interesting to test in vassal

1 hour ago, KID55 said:

Yeah, looked on it's card, damage output may be huge. But how Leveticus deliver him in enemy face? + not actualy thematic if we talk abut burning) But that's interesting to test in vassal

Kill a model, make a corpse marker

Bury the golem, unbury EoT at the corpse marker

PROFIT!

• Like 1

On 7/31/2018 at 5:30 AM, Seadhna said:

Burning Levi!

_Pariah of Iron 1ss 
_Oath Keeper 1ss 
Hollow Waif 0ss 
Hollow Waif 0ss 
Fire Golem 9ss 
_Scramble 1ss 
Wanyudo 8ss 
_Scramble 1ss 
Grave Golem 9ss 
_The Bigger They Are 1ss 
Arcane Effigy 4ss 
Terracotta Warrior 6ss 
Mobile Toolkit 3ss

thoughts?

What do you think about Rail Golem instead of Grave Golem?

I'm not sure you are going to create many corpses, so grave golem might have a problem there. Rail Golem doesn't have any way to boost its Ml, lower the enemy DF or prevent cheating so it might have trouble dishing out its big damage. Perhaps Talos (he technically has burning!) would be a better choice? If the Fire Golem or Wanyudo have good casts you could use hannah or lazarus to copy them and don't forget the Obsidian Statue is a thing.

On 8/17/2018 at 8:18 PM, Nukemouse said:

I'm not sure you are going to create many corpses, so grave golem might have a problem there. Rail Golem doesn't have any way to boost its Ml, lower the enemy DF or prevent cheating so it might have trouble dishing out its big damage. Perhaps Talos (he technically has burning!) would be a better choice? If the Fire Golem or Wanyudo have good casts you could use hannah or lazarus to copy them and don't forget the Obsidian Statue is a thing.

Levi creates plenty of corpses himself, you just need to pick your targets.

Rail is too low Ml to be effective, and other Golems already want Tomes for burning triggers

There might be some value in Vanessa with her obey

• 1 month later...
On 10/13/2018 at 2:39 PM, Zebo said:

I know this is not the place for this question, but it's about Leveticus's fluff and I don't think it worth to open a new thread only for this. 

There's any reason Fluff-wise about Leveticus not being Resurrectionist? 

He more interested in immortality for himself not in army of zombies and he is a scientist who combine flesh and metal for experiments. For protesting limbs for example. Resurrection an abominations is secondary stuff. Immortality is first. And he was not against the guild in the beginning. He was very costly mercenary for hard jobs.