Comments on my first game

CriminalControl

As you can see from my single other post, I'm brand new to the game but enjoy competitive play. So I took some notes on my first game with my newly purchased crew.

This game was a three-person game based off of the three-person rules found on the forums. We did 25ss with masters allowed to lead the crew.

Terrain was all hard cover.

Faction declaration:

• Myself - Ten Thunders
  • Players 2 - Resurrectionist
  • Player 3 - Outsider

Crew List:

Myself:

• Shenlong with equality and words on the river (didn't use WOTR, I did use his 0 to get the burning limited upgrade which was nice for the explosion damage BUT quickly switched to the defensive limited upgrade to heal Yas)
  • Yasunori (loved this one, I played the melee attack wrong once but it ended up working out I thought I could get a potential 6 attacks a turns)
  • Peasants (immediately summoned another peasant and they just stuck around Shenlong and buffed him, I sacrificed one x2 just because I re summoned him)
  • Katanaka Sniper (possibly my favorite character, I only put one in because of SS cost but dang this one was nice. I was able to reach out across the board and kept a side locked locked down, until the Midnight stalker came over in turn 3, its melee was also nice)

Player 2:

• Yan Lo (I didn't get to interact with this much because player 3 locked it down with Tera)
  • Izamu the Armor (got shot by player 2 then came over to meet Yasunori, not that hard my Yas to deal with by itself, when yas was ganged up on with Yin it became harder)
  • Yin the Penangala (also sent over to deal with my Yasunori, the horror duel every time really sucked and I wasn't sure how to deal with since I couldn't cheat horor)
  • Komainu (didn't interact with at all)

Player 3:

• Tara (I ended up one turn defeating Tara after she wounded by Yan Lo, didn't interact with much)
  • The Midnight Stalker (I didn't notice the "Respect for the Art" until going back and looking at each card, I should have just tried harder to kill with my Katanaka Sniper, I didn't really try to take this guy down and he ended up securing the last VP to push a tie into a victory, he was kind of annoying the entire game on my side)
  • Void Wretches x3 (These didn't interact with me, and the last one remaining ran away on turn 5)

Overall it was fun, lasted 5 hours, and let me play with a crew that I was really excited about trying out. I bought the terracotta warriors and Misaiki box to have some variety in the next time I hire a crew.

Any comments, questions, concerns?

And should I continue posting these? I hope once I actually get to do a two-player game in I will have more details on the turns.

• Like 1

If you enjoy competitive play I strongly urge you to get some 2-player 50ss games. That's where this game shines. That's what most people play so you're also going to get more and better advice.

You misplayed Shenlong. His (0) Monk of Many Styles Styles says: "...This model may discard a Limited Upgrade it has attached to attach the chosen Upgrade".

ie. You need to start the game with one of his 2ss Style upgrades in order to swap them around. No upgrade means you've got nothing to discard means you're not allowed to attach a new one.

Yin the Penangala (also sent over to deal with my Yasunori, the horror duel every time really sucked and I wasn't sure how to deal with since I couldn't cheat horor)

You can cheat horror duels, unless you're on negative willpower flips (certainly a possibility with Yin's 0 action). Just in case you played horror rules wrong: bear in mind that once you pass a horror duel you're immune to horror duels from that particular source (=Yin) for rest of the turn. You also only take horror duels if you target the Terrifying model or end a Walk action in their engagement range.

Also if you're all new I suggest you take a look at Errata'd cards for your factions:

https://www.wyrd-games.net/malifaux-faq-errata

At least Yasunori and pretty much all of Tara's crewbox have had errata.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome, and please keep posting. You will hopefully find it beneficial to think about what happened, and occasionally you'll find out you're playing something wrong, or get suggestions on other things you can do. 

Different people want different things from reports, so post them however you want, but I like to know what people have, what they are trying to do (so schemes and strategies) and how and why they do it. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Nikodemus said:

If you enjoy competitive play I strongly urge you to get some 2-player 50ss games. That's where this game shines. That's what most people play so you're also going to get more and better advice.

You misplayed Shenlong. His (0) Monk of Many Styles Styles says: "...This model may discard a Limited Upgrade it has attached to attach the chosen Upgrade".

ie. You need to start the game with one of his 2ss Style upgrades in order to swap them around. No upgrade means you've got nothing to discard means you're not allowed to attach a new one.

You can cheat horror duels, unless you're on negative willpower flips (certainly a possibility with Yin's 0 action). Just in case you played horror rules wrong: bear in mind that once you pass a horror duel you're immune to horror duels from that particular source (=Yin) for rest of the turn. You also only take horror duels if you target the Terrifying model or end a Walk action in their engagement range.

Also if you're all new I suggest you take a look at Errata'd cards for your factions:

https://www.wyrd-games.net/malifaux-faq-errata

At least Yasunori and pretty much all of Tara's crewbox have had errata.

Thanks for all of this information, I don't remember the exact reasons I couldn't flip on horror duels (whether Yin's 0 action or not) but will remember that for last time

I will make sure I play Shenlong's Monk of Many Style legally going forward

Yeah, we found out that pretty much everyone that Player 3 owns is errata'd, I may have to print those out myself just so I know too (even if he doesn't).

Also, Yasunori seems to have come with the errata'd update, is that possible?

5 hours ago, Adran said:

Welcome, and please keep posting. You will hopefully find it beneficial to think about what happened, and occasionally you'll find out you're playing something wrong, or get suggestions on other things you can do. 

Different people want different things from reports, so post them however you want, but I like to know what people have, what they are trying to do (so schemes and strategies) and how and why they do it. 

Unfortunately, I don't really remember what the 3-player schemes were but involved a sucker, having your master on opposite of the board (+1VP more if in deployment zone), and one other. I do feel like it would have been more fun with the standard schemes and strategies and two players at 50ss.

1 hour ago, CriminalControl said:

Also, Yasunori seems to have come with the errata'd update, is that possible?

If it was printed/packed after the errata, sure. Yasunori seems to be a fairly popular kit so I guess it's possible.

Keep in mind when starting out with 50ss two player games, that you can use strategies and schemes from the core rulebook, or from various tournament packs "Gaining Grounds 20XX". GG 2018, or gg18 for short, is the current one and as such probably a good place to start. GG18 pdf can be found at Organised Play Formats at Wyrd site:

https://www.wyrd-games.net/resources/

You can also view schemes in the official app Bad Things Happen and unofficial Crewfaux. From what I've heard Crewfaux works a lot smoother, but it doesn't have model stat cards in it. Most local players here use official app for stat checking and Crewfaux for crew and encounter generation (which can be from core rulebook or various gg's, so very handy).