TheEmptyRoad

Nicodem Players - Dealing with the nerf

Yeah I'd definitely agree that Hayreddin can be risky, but with some good positioning, you can summon a model within 6 of Nico and 3 of Hayreddin. Blast off of it with healing and then chain activate the summon to charge it out of the Hayreddin bubble. It'll certainly take some practice to pull it off regularly but it could certainly work 

• Like 2

On 7/6/2018 at 11:58 AM, Clement said:

With respect, trying to get to a straight flip off decay when going off enemy defense is likely almost exactly as bad.  What this boils down to is "flipping at least a 4 or 5 on the defense will stop blasts from happening".  You could focus to ensure the straight flip, but at that point it gets rather technical as to if Focus + Decay enemy vs Decay ally + Decay enemy makes more sense.

Spending a master AP to land 2 damage and do nothing else to an enemy isn't very productive.  Other summoners and support focused masters usually trigger some other effect (Adversary, armor ignoring, slow) and often are ca 7 to boot.  Nico's turns, in my experience, tend to skip directly interacting with the enemy in favor of supporting his own squad.

I'm always open to new ideas though.  If there's someone out there who gets great millage out of "Nico the blaster" I'd love to see the crews they're doing it with.

I'm not enough of a statistics guy to know the details, but it would certainly help I suppose.  The real problem here is that the ability to flip let's say "3 or worse" on a :+flipflip is basically an identical question to flipping "11 or better" on a :+flip flip.

Do you really think a 2dmg Blast is really going to make that big a difference? He's always had this available and it's never been a go to for players. Decay is really used for healing your own guys and if you happen to get splash damage on the enemy great, but it's not why you cast Decay. If he had a way to up the damage a bit then maybe I'd see a use case and that could actually give Nicodem a new way to be played. Maybe in a future upgrade.... 

15 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Do you really think a 2dmg Blast is really going to make that big a difference? He's always had this available and it's never been a go to for players. Decay is really used for healing your own guys and if you happen to get splash damage on the enemy great, but it's not why you cast Decay. If he had a way to up the damage a bit then maybe I'd see a use case and that could actually give Nicodem a new way to be played. Maybe in a future upgrade.... 

You would use the blast to arc healing onto a second model.  So Nicodem's turn could be Summon+Summon+Heal both from the brink.  I'd agree getting 2 damage onto an enemy model is gravy.

I think I will try healing poison Nico (necrotic king, shadow embrace + something else, maybe corpse bloat or spare parts) with little gassers, rafkin for the extra damage aura, Sebastian as efficient summoner. And add ons like belles, autopsies, and crooked men.

I’m currently experimenting around with Circling Buzzards and it’s ability to spam Vultures and place them at key points all around the board, turning into-essentially-flying arc nodes that Nic can cast from, giving him incredible range and board influence if not control, also equipped with the all-important Death’s Whip Aura.

• Like 2

Decay worked well for me today. Managed to raise a hanged then decayed him and used another corpse marker to heal him full. Patchwork is good enough for punk zombies, taking above hard to kill is fine. I find now I’m not worried about my summons surviving, love thy master I companion get my shots in and die drawing a card. The nerf is annoying but I never played Nicodem like others. I use him with necrotic king as a buffer, Izamu in his aura with fast is very deadly. Just a matter of working through the new feel. He is still my primary and favourite master. Regardless I will use him anyway and try to be competitive.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Daysleeper said:

Stupid Question, how do you guys test the "new" Nico? Where do you get the new cards? My App still shows his old version.

Google "malifaux errata" which will take you to the faq and errata page where the new official cards can be downloaded for printing or just print screen and keep a pic on your phone.

The app is either too slow or too fast with new releases. ;)

• Haha 1

What do you guys think about trying to stay in the summoning game as more of rear suportb character. Summon more tagged models to try and mitigate their 1 wound problem. 

Maybe have Nico and Mort hang back and summon exclusively scheme runners? Or a nurse for full healing.