Kai

Total Testosterone 2018 - Results

This year's Total Testosterone saw some very manly men.  It was amazing to see some of the great works that made their way into the contest.  But, as with all contests, there must be a winner declared. 

Total Testosterone Winners

1st - TT-47 by @Cronazos

2nd - TT-50 by @Nathillien

3rd - TT-10 by @Hunter Lynch

Raffle

Of course, sometimes Fate likes to intervene, and for that, we had our random raffle!  The following people managed to flip the Red Joker! @Fito@Meffi@Citames@Shock & Awe, @Ikiwith

Congratulations to our winners and thank you to everyone who participated!  Those who won a prize will be contacted shortly to get everything sorted out.  You can set your brushes down and breathe....for now, because next up is Femme Fatale! 

• Like 1

The results are, to be frank, quite disappointing. I hope future contests look at different ways of determining winners. This round looks to me more like a popularity contest than a contest of skill.

That said, I would like to praise all the contestants that put down a lot of work in subitting entries. There are some true gems in the lot, that sadly didn't get the attention they deserved. Hope to see your works again for Femme Fatale!

• Agree 3

First of all, congratulations to all the painters that participated and to the winners! Completing a mini and putting it out there for public viewing is a great achievement, no matter the level of skill!

That being said, I have to say that I am disappointed. While I understand that this is a community driven competition, it was pretty clear that some of the entries were chosen by popularity and that violated the spirit of the competition. To quote the competition requirements;

All contest entries will be displayed anonymously so as to give no one person an unfair advantage (this isn’t a popularity contest) and thus there can be no signatures or watermarks upon them. This includes naming the photo or file. No announcing on forums, webpage, blogs or any other type of medium about the type of miniature that you will be painting, nor concept or WIP photos.

(italics added.) Nothing against the creativity or skill that was made use of in any of the entries, but some of them were pretty plainly altered in the post-photography stage of the submission. If that is the creative outlet those entrants chose to apply, then that's great; I would never want to deprive someone of their creative outlet. But allowing those entries to be in the running for prizes is pretty offensive, especially for those people that put the time and effort into painting their miniatures. 

Choosing to not enforce the rules in these competitions certainly shakes my desire to participate in the future, regardless of my competitiveness for prizes. These contests are supposed to be for fun, so even though I was not in the running for prizes, seeing a submission that was in the running despite pretty plainly violating the purpose of the anonymity requirement (and the fact that this is a painting competition) left a bad taste in my mouth. Being a relatively new member of the community and having this kind of experience the first time around may encourage me to pass over future contests in the interest of moving on to other projects.

These statements are not coming from a place of bitterness or resentment, I am just stating my opinion and how this experience will affect me going forward.

Again, congratulations to everyone that participated, you should all be very proud!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I'm a bit perplexed. It is not entirely clear why some of the works take part in the competition. Sorry again did not win, but oh well. I will participate again - I hope still lucky. I hope the administration in the next contest will more adhere to its own rules.

• Like 1

Really hope voting system vould be changed for next contest.

Judge vote would be a best option, but in case of community voted contest system like rount 1 of last Iron Painter (You vote for EACH work and give points in 3 categories: theme, painting skill and overall impression) could work too.

Great showing by all who took part. Regardless of who won the most votes, its always a tremendous collection of artistic inspiration. Along those lines, I think it is worth some discussion against those of you that expressed disappointment in the results. I get the impression your votes went towards the models that displayed advance brush techniques and mastery of colour composition. While that is absolutely a valid criteria to judge, it is not all that should be considered. Other factors are... shape of the piece, dynamism, creative use of colour, how does the piece make you feel? These pieces are all art, an art appeals to people in different ways. Think about times you have been to an art gallery that features impressionist art, alongside some photo-realistic landscapes. Both genres have some appeal. A public vote, is therefore going to touch on a myriad of different attitudes and preferences, so we have to accept that in the voting result.

There are all kinds of painting competitions in our hobby from Crystal Brush to local game store. Let’s allow this one to be what it is. Let’s all thank Wyrd for putting effort into this, to allow artists of varied skill levels to showcase their own sense of creativity

• Like 1

Congratulations to all! It would be awesome if there was a round of first cuts of judging by professional judges. 

Raffle of prizes can still go out to all entrants so it gives people like me a chance to walk away with something! Haha!

15 hours ago, Fatesealer said:

There are all kinds of painting competitions in our hobby from Crystal Brush to local game store. Let’s allow this one to be what it is. Let’s all thank Wyrd for putting effort into this, to allow artists of varied skill levels to showcase their own sense of creativity

Yeah, there's always quibbling over the placing in these contests in my experience. Even for the Iron Painter where it's quite formal you get people querying the scores and consistency of judging. Audience vote obviously has issues in terms of people rallying up a vote for themselves, but no system is perfect and the organisers did do their best to try stop that happening.