Malifaux Music

I re-read ''Shifting Loyalties'' to-night, and without giving away any details, the Secretary dances a triumphant gavotte. I have always imagined this scene with one specific piece of music -- Handel's gavotte in G major, played on the piano and not on the harpsichord. It's a very simple, charming piece of music, quite within the capability of an able child and full of gaiety: sheer triumph is a very simple childlike emotion and I imagine that Lucius would find it most appropriate.

That led me to thinking about music and the setting of Malifaux: does anyone else make musical associations with stories, scenes or characters, and if so what pieces of music remind you of Malifaux? Anything -- classical, modern (popular, rock and roll, metal), non-Western (naturally appropriate for the Ten Thunders!) you like.

Many thanks for your reply: the lyrics are somewhat like spare prose-poetry, aren't they? Capable of so many Malifaux interpretations:

''He doesn't know that it's all wrong

Simply fiendish, a child caught in a grown up world

No lies convince the court''

This catches something I have always felt but been unable to express -- the childishness of the Resurrectionists, the shameless curiosity of McMourning or Seamus' mad dance through the world (the ''Mad Hatter'', the allusion to the child-world of Alice which can be quite terrifyingly twisted -- cf. the Mad Tea Party in ''Dreamchild'' -- is, I think, no accident or thoughtless allusion), the whimsies of Mortimer, Sebastian and the Dead Man's Ball, Gwenifer's vicious little piece of revenge on the two little girls, Kirai's unadulterated bliss or hate -- children are essentially amoral and the Resurrectionists, amongst the death and violence, have essentially the same childlike gleeful amorality. Knowledge of uncanny mysteries has made them consider themselves above conventional morality and has essentially returned them to the ''state of nature'', the moral position of a little child moved by every passion.

• Agree 2

Thank you -- another very interesting piece of music. 

Blood-shot, your eyes drop,
And the skin's all wearin' thin...

Evokes the horrible ages of hanging, frozen in death-agony, from the Tree.

Evil are the demons that haunt you,
Forgetting what it was that they taught you.
And now there's no one left to stop you,
Or to catch you when you drop.

This suggests both a seemingly inevitable and yet perplexing descent into crime and the final, hideous, endless fall when the ladder is kicked away.

Many thanks indeed.