Favourite Malifaux Stories

Thank you for your reply: the story ('Doppelganger') can be found in the core volume, in the 1.5 edition pp. 200-202. I must compare the texts of the first edition and the 1.5 edition and produce a variorum edition one day!

It's an interesting story, isn't it -- the title might be loosely applied to Dora and her child ('one who is not as one seems', a misapplication) but is only later revealed to be a reference to a true Doppelganger. The ambiguity surrounding Dora and the Doppelganger is very well handled, at no point is their rrelationship to one another or to their schemes made explicit, least of all in the fascinating betrayal that forms the central element of the story. Such ambiguity and the unexplained nature, emotional parasitism and strange powers of the Neverborn draws heavily on the terror-fear of the unknown and is its greatest strength -- in ambiguity lies the unknown, in the unknown is true fear.

The description of the child is very well handled and the use of humour is adroit and  does not detract from fear and betrayal.

• 1 month later...

I really liked the Breachside Broadcast about the origins of Hamelin involving a tidalwave of rats that ate flesh like falling into lava in the deep, deeeeep catacombs of Malifaux. It reminded me of the game Torchlight where generations of towns had been built of the same spot. The older stuff sinking into the muck and being forgotten but never truly abandoned by something monstrous. Malifaux is described as a 'layer cake of all human cultures' from an architectural standpoint. Makes sense for it to apply literally as well.

I love this thread. The stories and world that Wyrd have created make this so much more than just a game. I would love nothing more than to see Wyrd start to release actual novels that expand the world. There is so much to be explored - origin stories, more about the earth's first venture into the breach before it closed, the rise of the Guild on earth. 

I have, so far, only read the 1e books and 2e rulebook but there as for what is my favourite so far it is too hard to call. "Puzzle Box" has to be up there along with "A Long Night in Red Row". Red Row was just amazing. "A Great Adventure", "Doppelganger" and "Into The Breach" I love them all. 

There is too much goodness. And I know I have not even started to explore TTB/PD books yet. 

• Agree 1