Rainbow Witchling

So working on a new project and decided to post some WIPs while I'm at it. I'm trying some quite unfamiliar techniques so any feedback/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Basically I wanted to do a transition of colour moving up the model with the highlight for each area becoming the base tone for the one above it. I found violet highlights on the lower section looked odd so, now I'm thinking of going for more of a light blue/teal highlight there for a kind of full spectrum look?

Not sure that's the best way to proceed, or how to balance the colours in some of the unpainted areas.

Also about halfway (I think) done with the non-metallic gold on the swords and finding it hard to make convincing on such weird shapes.

Cheers for your attention!

IMG_20180622_083405.jpg.999fe369ce1ac610e5281c578576b823.jpg

• Like 3

It's always a goog thing to try something new.  Sometimes it works, sometimes you gather experience.

I think the idea with the transition is a nice one. I like to have a little drop of one maincolor in all other colors. This way everything looks tied together. Another approach can be to use one color (or a drop of it) to most highlights. With your painting I'd say you can go a lot deeper into the shadows and into the highlights. Especially in the NMM: there you should paint all the way from (near) black to white.

I allways suggest the tutorials from Vince Venturella.

• Thanks 1

Cheers for the advice! I only stumbled on Venturella's channel the other day as it happens. 😀

I have a definite tendency to under-highlight. One of the ideas behind this  scheme wa to try and break that habit, but it's been a long time forming.

On the gold is there a risk that if I take it too close to black and white it'll start looking for like some other metal? 

Look at me making excuses already. 😀

• 2 weeks later...

So, in light of dwindling interest and other projects to work on I've decided to call these guys finished at this point. There's a lot more I could still do with them but the main objective was to try some new things and I've done that and have some pretty eyecatching models for the table out of it, so I'm calling it a win. Think next time I decide to try out new techniques on a model I'll go for a smaller area. It was great having all the cloak to blend over, but I think by the time I'd finished the lower part I was all blended out, let alone the massive swords. :)

Witchling.png.1e3e8af118bb5ee0ba665602a8ecc71c.png

Thanks all for your attention and comment.  ;)

• Like 4