Zoraida Must Buy Models

Ursah

I, personally, would start with the following:

• Will o' the Wisps - They are practically Errata in the form of models. Will o' the Wisps allow Zoraida to use her AP on other (more fun) things than summoning Voodoo Doll. I play two in basicaly all my games.
  • Iggy - You need a model that applies Conditions to the Voodoo Doll.
  • Waldgeists - Very durable models. Though Armor isn't as potent as it used to be.

Those would be my first purchases :)

• Agree 1

Do you have an idea on how you want to play Zoraida? or what you want to achieve with her? What models you want kinda depend on that.

Here are some general things:

-Will o' the Wisps: allow you to summon voodoo dolls without using Zoraida's AP

-Condition adding models: Iggy and Nurses are popular, but really any would do. If you can think of some unusual ones you can catch your opponent offguard, nurse heartsbane has some nice conditions, a sorrow can paralyse ( has a 2ap ability, which Will of the wisps can use as well ).

-Swampfiends: You can build around Swampfiends, zoraida can hire gremlin swampfiends into Neverborn with an upgrade. McTavish has a nice bonus for swampfiends ( which zoraida is ), If you plan to use Bad Juju, having swampfiends is nice, the popular ones are : will of the wisp, waldgeist, gupps. but others include McTavish, Bayou Gators, Silurid, Wild boars ( which gain :+flipoutside of activation ), Swampmother (which can charge a model who kills a friendly swampfiend).

-Models that you want to gain extra AP out of: Typically Beaters and High SS models. Using Obey, you can have your beater make more attacks, or move/charge him up, so he can do more. Often i'll have Bad Juju be my beater, and I'll have him charge a model, and when he activates, i'll have him Flury, which ends up being 5 attacks, for 3 ap. I've had a game where my sniper (Rami LaCroix) didn't have any targets, so on his turn i had him Focus twice, and then I had Zoraida obey him to shoot someone when that was possible later. Some models have great (1) Ap abilities, and only 2 Ap to spend, having zoraida move them, or obey them into taking more actions can also be helpful.

-Any model that can give her mobility: Zoraida has a decent walk of 5", and an upgrade that lets her place 15" away for 2 Ap, but anything that lets her not have to spend her AP on mobility, and on her other useful actions instead is wonderful, a model with lure can push/move her, Mr graves and Dr Grimwell can push her too. These aren't as important.

47 minutes ago, wafew said:

Do you have an idea on how you want to play Zoraida? or what you want to achieve with her? What models you want kinda depend on that.

Here are some general things:

-Will o' the Wisps: allow you to summon voodoo dolls without using Zoraida's AP

-Condition adding models: Iggy and Nurses are popular, but really any would do. If you can think of some unusual ones you can catch your opponent offguard, nurse heartsbane has some nice conditions, a sorrow can paralyse ( has a 2ap ability, which Will of the wisps can use as well ).

-Swampfiends: You can build around Swampfiends, zoraida can hire gremlin swampfiends into Neverborn with an upgrade. McTavish has a nice bonus for swampfiends ( which zoraida is ), If you plan to use Bad Juju, having swampfiends is nice, the popular ones are : will of the wisp, waldgeist, gupps. but others include McTavish, Bayou Gators, Silurid, Wild boars ( which gain :+flipoutside of activation ), Swampmother (which can charge a model who kills a friendly swampfiend).

-Models that you want to gain extra AP out of: Typically Beaters and High SS models. Using Obey, you can have your beater make more attacks, or move/charge him up, so he can do more. Often i'll have Bad Juju be my beater, and I'll have him charge a model, and when he activates, i'll have him Flury, which ends up being 5 attacks, for 3 ap. I've had a game where my sniper (Rami LaCroix) didn't have any targets, so on his turn i had him Focus twice, and then I had Zoraida obey him to shoot someone when that was possible later. Some models have great (1) Ap abilities, and only 2 Ap to spend, having zoraida move them, or obey them into taking more actions can also be helpful.

-Any model that can give her mobility: Zoraida has a decent walk of 5", and an upgrade that lets her place 15" away for 2 Ap, but anything that lets her not have to spend her AP on mobility, and on her other useful actions instead is wonderful, a model with lure can push/move her, Mr graves and Dr Grimwell can push her too. These aren't as important.

Hey thanks a lot for your response, i was moslty thinking in playing her with gremlins/swampfiends, i heard that she's not that good as a full gremlin master so I'm going to go with neverborn

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ursah said:

Hey thanks a lot for your response, i was moslty thinking in playing her with gremlins/swampfiends, i heard that she's not that good as a full gremlin master so I'm going to go with neverborn

No problem. play her as a Gremlin, find out for yourself if you don't like it that way, I enjoy her in both factions.

As a gremlin, you can still hire swampfiends ( will o the wisps are swampfiends ), she can still get iggy ( wp 4) and nurses. you have access to more than 2 non-swampfiend gremlins, plus those who have more than 4wp, including Sammy Lacroix, who is amazing with Zoraida, she can hold one of Zoraida's upgrades, and has an ability to cycle a card when another model draws one ( zoraida has an upgrade to draw one for free every turn), Gremlin has a lot of pig models, which can charge for 1 ap, wave 5 released a model with a "gatreaux baukor" or something,. that synergizes with swampfiends, moon shinobi turn :-flipinto :+flip, which make them good at beating voodoo dolls. and they have more.

However, bad Juju can't become eternal, will o the wisps' 2ap as a 1ap only work on neverborn models, and you need an upgrade to carry neverborn swampfiends over. You also don't have access to a lot of neverborn models.

Gremlin Zoraida isn't as bad as people say, It's maybe a lil harder to play her as a gremlin, but she still has a lot of options, the important models can still be hired there. If you care about following the meta, and what's best, then you might want to play Neverorn, but I find them both fun and viable, and I think people who make the metas, tend to just find something that works great and not look too much further, so the meta probably isn't going to be for gremlin Zoraida, unless they find a model there that makes her super strong. </opinion>

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Domin said:

Sorrow's 2-ap action is an Attack, while Wisps are restricted to Tactical actions only. 

Than kyou! I keep forgetting that.

you can still use the sorrow for a TN-less paralyse, you just can't have your WotW do it.

If you want to get the most out of her with gremlin models you want pigs and a hog whisperer as reactivating 1pt charge pigs in a crew with obey is horrible to deal with.

Lenny is also mildly entertaining and can do interesting things to the vodoo doll.

Outside of gremlins you were looking at swampfiends.

If you are picking up whisps i strongly suggest the spawn mother and extra gupps.

Gators are interesting but very situational.

Wild boars are now worth taking if you run powerful command.

Waldgiest can be great for holding lines, preventing interacts, add a couple of interesting and abusable conditions to the doll and can create cover, they become more interesting with McTavish.

McTavish though expensive will work well with a swarm them build or a juju bomb through an expendable gupp or even a third wisp.

Fears given form also makes him interesting as does mimics blessing.

Fears given form on two semi stationary pieces in great in a doll summoning list but will hinder a condition spam list.

I tried the first mate at a recent tournament, he was interesting but the jury is still out on that one.

If you are going for a condition spam list you are looking for paralyze, slow, -until end of game-, burning, posion, -cannot interact-, -stat reduction- 

Probably in that order.

Paralyze being the most important you will need a few of these options in your mix.

Nurse,juju,gator(not from an obey)anything that can cause horror duels from an attack (weaver-mainly for needle work society) piggapult (in gremlins) first mate and probably half a dozen more.

If you want to play Gremlin Zoraida, and you have Nurses, you might consider a few Moon Shinobi as well. Nurses have a ranged Ca that give a model Armour +2 and :-flipflips on all duels (which become :+flipflips on all duels for Moon Shinobi).

Just a thought. Drunken Gremlin ninjas need their supporters, too.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I know that you want to play her as a gremlin but if you play her as a neverborn I would suggest the mysterious Emissary. Place a few hazardous terrain markers in the centre of the field and start obeying enemies into them. This will smash them for an uncheatable 1/4/5 damage and will hit them again when they activate next turn. The psychological effect of this cannot be understated. Players will want to give your markers a wide berth and if they are placed near an objective can have a huge impact on the game. Also the Emissary can do some great card cycling with his conflux of fate upgrade.

If you decide to get an Emissary get some changelings too as he can summon them with ease. They are not very good but if nothing else can be useful as bait or blocking charge lanes to your more important models. 

For extra lols add in Vasilisa. Use her obeys on anything you may have placed the bewitched condition on for some ridiculous card cycling. 

Will o the wisps are made for Zoraida and can make getting a voodoo doll a cinch. I don't worry about using ziggy to hurt the doll. I just toddle it over within 3" of both my hungry land markers and fail my walk duels to dish out 6 damage. The wisp can also walk enemies into the markers with some careful positioning and the wisps call ability. 

Mr Graves is great for moving Zoraida about so you can use her ap for more offensive purposes. 

A Big beater like Nekima, the hooded rider or even a mature nephilim works a treat. With Zoraida's powerful control upgrade you can get a charge off from her obey action for the low cost of a 7 of masks. This can be well worth burning a soulstone to get off. 

If you go down the Gremlin route I would suggest a warpig as they can be obeyed to charge for 1 ap. Also with all of Zoraida's card cycling you will be more able to cheat for the juicier triggers on their stat card. 

Hope this helps. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
55 minutes ago, Ceodoc said:

Can Will O' the Wisp's Ever Changing Form be used to make Leader take a Focused+2 or Defensive+2 action?

Page 39 says all models may take by default these tactical actions even though not listed.

But Ever Changing Form says printed on card.

You just answered your own question. It isn't on the card and ever changing fom needs it to be printed on the card. 

Also note that the wisp is taking the action, not the model you are copying from. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...