Kyris

Through the breach for free RPG day in hillsboro!

On 6/12/2018 at 11:20 AM, Kyris said:

This upcoming saturday, june 16th at 1PM, I'll be running the one shot adventure sixteen tons at Rune and Board!

How'd it go? I'm about to run this as my first stab at TTB (and FM), so any advice would be gold! Thanks!

10 hours ago, Bazlord_Prime said:

How'd it go? I'm about to run this as my first stab at TTB (and FM), so any advice would be gold! Thanks!

pretty good! Sixteen tons is always my go-to one shot for new players, just because it's simple, but has most if not all of the core concepts in it to teach people the various mechanics, it's a very, very well done module.

that said, as far as advice goes - really, this goes for TTB as a whole, combat as written kind of, really drags on, so I'd suggest you just ignore the critical effects for lower rank monsters, and only use that for the "bosses" so to speak. otherwise it can take HOURS hoping to get lucky enough to get a critical effect that can actually kill the enemies.

3 hours ago, Kyris said:

pretty good! Sixteen tons is always my go-to one shot for new players, just because it's simple, but has most if not all of the core concepts in it to teach people the various mechanics, it's a very, very well done module.

that said, as far as advice goes - really, this goes for TTB as a whole, combat as written kind of, really drags on, so I'd suggest you just ignore the critical effects for lower rank monsters, and only use that for the "bosses" so to speak. otherwise it can take HOURS hoping to get lucky enough to get a critical effect that can actually kill the enemies.

Great - thanks! 

I hadn't read about the Critical Dmaage stuff yet, but thanks to your warning, I've checked it out and I think I can see what you mean. Nothing actually dies without accruing some Condition in the extreme, or getting a massive, Strong Critical Effect, so that's why it might take hours of fishing for those big hits to actually finish off a model, right? Especially if it has Hard to Kill, and can ignore Unconsciousness. 

9 hours ago, Bazlord_Prime said:

Great - thanks! 

I hadn't read about the Critical Dmaage stuff yet, but thanks to your warning, I've checked it out and I think I can see what you mean. Nothing actually dies without accruing some Condition in the extreme, or getting a massive, Strong Critical Effect, so that's why it might take hours of fishing for those big hits to actually finish off a model, right? Especially if it has Hard to Kill, and can ignore Unconsciousness. 

Yup. thats pretty much it in a nutshell - okay, hours might be a slight exaggeration, I didn't mean to give the impression that it would add hours per NPC or per fight, but even 2-3 smaller fights, if you give every single NPC critical effects as written, could easily add an hour or two for the total game, especially if you have a lot of players.

i had one fight that was fucking hilarious the NPC ended up losing an arm, a leg, and was bleeding out before he finally died.

2 hours ago, Kyris said:

Yup. thats pretty much it in a nutshell - okay, hours might be a slight exaggeration, I didn't mean to give the impression that it would add hours per NPC or per fight, but even 2-3 smaller fights, if you give every single NPC critical effects as written, could easily add an hour or two for the total game, especially if you have a lot of players.

i had one fight that was fucking hilarious the NPC ended up losing an arm, a leg, and was bleeding out before he finally died.

Haha! Hmmm...I might use Fatemaster's privilege before it gets to that, and if Corinne Zegher just won't just die, perhaps it'll have to turn out that she's actually a T-X terminator, sent from the future to ... ummm ... acquire mineral exploration rights at Contract Town #22??   😕