Symbols of Authority and Obey

Seadhna

Question

Okay, another case of sloppy wording despite all the playtesting.

"At the end of every Turn after the first, a Crew earns 1 VP if it removed one or more Strategy Markers this Turn."

If I Obey an enemy model on my side of the table and make it remove one of my Symbols, who gets the VP?

Crew affiliation obviously doesn't change, however we have a FAQ entry: 

"If a model is killed by an Ability or Action, which Crew counts as having made the kill? 
- When a model is killed as the result of an Action, the Crew controlling the Action counts as having made the kill."

Given the existing wording, it would be RAW to give me a VP in this case.

Prove me wrong (I need this to be wrong because of RAI)

5 answers to this question

Have you read the wording on symbols. You can only interact with a symbol on your opponents side of the board. So you can't remove them from your side. Also if you obey an enemy model it doesn't change who it's opponent is so it can't target ones on its side. 

6 minutes ago, Adran said:

Have you read the wording on symbols. You can only interact with a symbol on your opponents side of the board. So you can't remove them from your side. Also if you obey an enemy model it doesn't change who it's opponent is so it can't target ones on its side. 

Yeah, model's can only target symbols on the other side, but this is obeying a model to remove one of your own symbols. It doesn't matter which crew the model performing an action belongs to for which crew counts as performing an action.

I don't think you can obey an enemy model on your side of the table to take the interact action to remove a symbol, because I think the symbol needs to be on the opponents side for both the model taking the action, and the player taking the action.

On 6/9/2018 at 1:07 PM, Adran said:

I don't think you can obey an enemy model on your side of the table to take the interact action to remove a symbol, because I think the symbol needs to be on the opponents side for both the model taking the action, and the player taking the action.

"On any turn after the first, non-Peon models may take a (1) interact Action targeting a Strategy marker within 1" on the opponent's side of the board to remove it from play."

"At the end of every Turn after the first, a Crew earns 1 VP if it removed one or more Strategy Markers this turn."

I read that as allowing Player A to obey one of Player B's models to remove one of Player A's markers. Player B's crew would count as the crew that removed the marker for scoring purposes. The only time I could see this being useful is if Player B had already removed a marker in the current turn and was poised to take a marker the next turn. By obeying Player B to claim a second marker in a turn, Player A reduced the total number of points that Player B could possibly score of the strategy in the game. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, WWHSD said:

"On any turn after the first, non-Peon models may take a (1) interact Action targeting a Strategy marker within 1" on the opponent's side of the board to remove it from play."

"At the end of every Turn after the first, a Crew earns 1 VP if it removed one or more Strategy Markers this turn."

I read that as allowing a Player A to obey one of Player B's models to remove one of Player A's markers. Player B's crew would count as the crew that removed the marker for scoring purposes. The only time I could see this being useful is if Player B had already removed a marker in the current turn and was poised to take a marker the next turn. By obeying Player B to claim a second marker in a turn, Player A reduced the total number of points that Player B could possibly score of the strategy in the game. 

It could also be useful if you aren't in a good position to score by taking one from your opponent.