Timing of blast damage

Mortarion

Question

The rules for Blasts (rulebook page 50) states that "In situations where the order that models suffer damage matters, the Attacker may determine the order in which the affected models resolve the blast effects". Does this apply to the original target as well, or just the models damaged because of the blasts? Or more specifically, would you be able to resolve the damage against one of the models hit by the blast before resolving the damage against the original target?

10 answers to this question

13 minutes ago, Artiee said:

All damage happens at the same time.   The Acting model chooses.

The damage to the original model is not a "blast effect" but the cause of the blast. Before you have resolved thr damage flip against the original target you often don't even know how many blasts (if any) to place so it is hardly happening at the same time as the rest.

1 hour ago, Artiee said:

You flip for the damage.  The Damage on the target and blast damage is at the same time. So the The Acting model chooses the order of the damage.

The way I read this: The blast rules say that you resolve damage against models affected by the blast in any order. The original target isn't affected by blasts from that attack so isn't included in the models you can choose the order against.

Having read through some related rules that do not diectly deal with the timing, I may have found some clues.

First, the rules for Auras, Blasts & Pulse LoS (on the same page) says the following: "In addition, a model cannot be affected by a Blast Marker if the original target of the blast effect is not within LoS of the model." This may suggest that the original target is considered to be damaged by a "blast effect" event though it is not damaged by the blasts themselves. 

Second, the last paragraph under the Blasts rules says: "It is important to note that the original target does not take damage twice from the Attack. The Blast is placed and then all models suffer damage as noted above." Since "all the models" in the second sentence should include "the original target" in the first sentence, this can indicate that the original target follows the same rules for resolving damage as the blasts.

But as I said, none of those two rules actually deal with timing, so I may be reading too much into them.

7 hours ago, Mortarion said:

Any other views on this or does everyone agree that you can resolve damage from a blast before damage to the original target if you want to?

My personal opinion is at this point it's up to you and your opponent to figure if that's how it's done or not. I think there's not enough information to definitively say, and until someone in authority says otherwise, I can see it easily being either.

I think the rule should have it be the initial model takes damage first, both because it makes more "logical" sense to me, and feels more consistent with other rules (the target first, then everything else after). But I can definitely see the other side of that argument.

Something similar came up in my game last night when I blew up my own papa Loco. Killing him killed another model that had burning so I summoned a stalker off of another model that died that had burning. All the timing with when the stalker came in and with papa locos own damage. It became a order trigger cluster that really needs cleaning up in future revisions.