Getting started in Ressers

Hi all. It's been a while since I looked at Malifaux! I used to play Outcasts, but have really fallen in love with the resser minis. 

I bought myself Seamus' box and my friend sold me a bunch of 1e minis. 

I only like to play with painted minis and will have to travel to play, so my question to you is; out of the below minis, where would you start painting with a view to playing? 

Nurse x3

Punk zombie x3

Ikiryo

Seishin

Lost Love

Dead Rider 

Jaakuna Ubume 

Zombie Chihuahua 

Flesh construct 

Sebastian

Onryu x2

Bette noir x2

Datsue-ba (missing lantern) 

Carrion effigy 

Grave Spirit 

Nico

Mortimer

Kirai

Mcmourning 

Shikome

Vulture 

Any help you guys can give me would be awesome. And I look forward to playing with some UK players hopefully very soon 

It depends on what master you're starting with, but here's a brief run down on the ones you have:

Seamus: Basically his box + maybe the graveyard spirit, Datsue Ba, a nurse and the shikome. I would look into getting Yin + Dead Doxies for him though. Jakuuna, the Flesh construct and the Dead Rider are also fine but share no immediate synergies.

Kirai: All the spirits + the flesh construct. Jakuuna also isn't particularly good, but can be included and a nurse or two couldn't hurt. Look into picking up some Goryo as well.

Nicodem: The Dead Rider, Nurses and Bete Noire work pretty well, also Punk Zombies, Mortimer and the Vulture. Sebastian's also good if you go the mindless zombie rout. You can also consider Kentauri as an amazing new summon and Asura Rotten. Be warned: Nicodem is one of the top two masters in the game right now with his insane card draw potential and hordes of summons - either him or the Kentauri are going to be nerfed soon.

McMourning: Nurses, Flesh Constructs and the Chihuahua + Shikome and Sebastian. Bete Noire and the Dead Rider are both fine. I would look into some Canine Remains for the good doctor, and perhaps another flesh construct so he has enough summons.

Also Rotten Belles. They are amazing with every master. You should look into getting some scheme runners, but for now if you really need one the carrion effigy does a perfectly good job.

Hope this has helped, and welcome to Ressurs!

Are you going to buy something else before getting painted what you already have? Because you're lacking two important additions to every Ressurectionists collection: Mindless Zombies (indispensable I dare say) and Asura Rotten (you want her for your Seamus, Nicodem and Kirai crew, unless you go Flesh Construct route). From what you have it is probably best to start with Seamus following Catbats tips. As for Nicodem and Kirai, I feel that you lack too many models to play them effectively. Once you get Asura and Zombies you can try Nico with what you have (Belle, Punk Zombies, Dead Rider, Shikome, Morti, Vulture, Seba). But even then for Kirai you need some more purchases I think.

Thanks for the advise.

Another question for things to buy, which upgrade decks are best to get hold of. Got wave 2 arsenal deck. Obviously wave 1 is out of print, and I'd have to print from the books to use these models, but is the broken promises upgrade deck worth it? And what does it contain? 

Wargame Vault has the past cards available for print. All the expansion decks are worth getting for the extra options they open up in your crew, although if you have the app you'll have most of them (except for models like Mindless Zombies which can't be hired so can't be accessed through the app, they didn't implement my idea of a "summon" menu which allows you access to the stats of models you're summoning).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Malifauxmart said:

Another question for things to buy, which upgrade decks are best to get hold of. Got wave 2 arsenal deck. Obviously wave 1 is out of print, and I'd have to print from the books to use these models, but is the broken promises upgrade deck worth it? And what does it contain? 

Generalist upgrade deck (1-2) are good to have (if you find someone that play other faction and want to share you are golden)

Broken promises upgrade deck has 2 new upgrades for each master, emissary upgrades for the wave 4 master (Reva in Resur.) and a few other somewhat new upgrades that should comes in enough copy with the models when you get them, I don't see any you'd need with your current collection. Idk if it's worth it for the master you have but it was for me and my wife (we play NB and TT)