Monthly painting challenge - June

Franchute

14 hours ago, Lucius Mattheson said:

Purple Mist: I'm not sure if non-contestants can comment, so please forgive me. I do like the mottled metal (especially on the near-side leg of the second Hunter) and the unrelentingly grim simplicity of the bases: conveying something of the frontier wildness and hostility of the world Breachside. The Mobile Toolkit is a wonderfully strange model, a strange mix of steam-boiler and bird-like elegance.

Of course. Please comment anything you want! :)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Lucius Mattheson said:

Purple Mist: I'm not sure if non-contestants can comment, so please forgive me. I do like the mottled metal (especially on the near-side leg of the second Hunter) and the unrelentingly grim simplicity of the bases: conveying something of the frontier wildness and hostility of the world Breachside. The Mobile Toolkit is a wonderfully strange model, a strange mix of steam-boiler and bird-like elegance.

I thank you for your kind words and your interenst in painting.

I have to point out that I'm painting at a game level, trying to get the best results with minimum efforts. I'm happy too with the effect I got with metal surfaces although it's a quite quick drybrushing over black basecoting, a quick wash with black and some highlights and metal paint recovery with lighter metal drybrushing and dotting. The blade on the tip of the tail was rusted and then washed with bood paint. I got a curious effect like it was dirty because of blood.

The wires have been painted to get a good contrast with the bases. I used blue paint on the model based on the brick base; on the other one, based on the grey stone paved square I used some reddish paint.

Your description of the Mobile Toolkit is perfect. It's the second MT I completed and the first one was with bouth feet on the ground.

• Like 1

@Franchute, hello!

Because of the Montly Challenge crossing over with other Wyrd Challenges (last one was True Testosterone Challenge), and because I'm too lazy to paint one more model when I could paint one less, I'm asking you if it'll be possible to pledge a model for the future Montly Challenges without then providing pics of mid term painting status and posting only pictures of the final result when the other official Wyrd Challenge will be closed. That because it is not allowed to post pictures to the public of models committed to a Wyrd challenge.

As an example, I pledge Lililth to next Montly competition, posting a pic of the unworked model. Later I'll complete the model and submit Lililth to Femme Fatale. Once the Femme Fatale Competition will be closed I'll post a pic of Lililth here to get her credited for montly competition too.

Thanks in advance for clarifications.

Unfortunately I will not be able to finish Miss Ery today. 

I like the model very much and would like to do it justice :) I would say that I am at 65 % at the moment. Here is a WIP picture (this part is the least painted one):
zCVpOQM.jpg
As I said, I want the patches to have children's motifs with a twist if possible. Here, as you can see, one of the ducks has tentacles instead of a beak :) The green patch at the top of Miss Ery's head has little hearts and one of them is anatomicaly correct (with aorta, vena cava superior etc.). The one around the eye is more simple to not steal attention away from the eye itself :) Two patches are still blank, but I think I have an idea for one of them already :)
When I finish the model I will post some pictures :)

Sadly, this is the third time I wasn't able to finish my pledge for the month, which means... this is a goodbye as well.
I am looking forward to seeing your works and will continue to creep here :)

I am also already looking forward to MPC 2019 :)
Up until then I would like to finish the models that are unpainted/half-painted and when MPC 2019 comes I would like to purchase a Crew Box and work on that :) If it is going to be another Neverborn master or a master from a new faction I do not know yet. Those are my plans at the moment :)

• Like 8

I'll be away from my models for pictures until late late tonight or tomorrow, but in addition to my update from earlier this month I finished vintage Misaki for 15ss, bringing my total to 56ss.

As always, lovely to see everyone's progress for the month!

Edit: here's Misaki, doing her best Ruby Rose from RWBY impersonation!

20180701_085402.jpg.e2c1bf7efe57644c0403e409e9c98cd3.jpg20180701_085349.jpg.52d92eb718fa25096fa5608bcbbb91c4.jpg

• Like 4

@Phinn Your freehand slays me. I don't have the eyesight to paint a tentacle duck in that tiny space at all, much less highlight and shade it. 😲 Well done, can't wait to see pictures of the completed model! Bummer that we won't get to see more of your work in this year's challenge though.

• Thanks 1

Just in time, here are my June models.  The wall of the Arcanist Arthropod Assembly Facility is taking longer than planned, but I think will be worth it.  I only got it about half done so I finished a 10 Thunders Archer that was waiting and about 1/2 done.  The 50 mm statue terrain pieces came out okay but much of the stone work I tried didn't come through.  I'm still happy to have these for schemes that require blocking markers and for terrain.

2018June_Statues.jpg.a3f8434dcf897974bd8c7f0f0b38cae3.jpg2018June_Archer.jpg.580acac6e5b1ab83d9e9ebec197fc321.jpg

Almost forgot SS count, Franchute!  2 x 5 SS and 1 x 6 SS = 16 SS for June.

• Like 6

Caedrus, reporting in.

@Franchute: I report 12SS of painting this month.

Well, it's been a month of not getting much done, so my four Guild Hounds are it for this month.

IapXek7.jpg

I did manage to get the airbrush out, for some preparatory work for July - jump over to that thread if you're so inclined.

So many lovely models! @Phinn - a pity you won't be involved, that's a delightful Miss Ery! Please post her when she's done!

Caedrus, out.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

The use of the staircase w. the second Hound is inspired -- I have always imagined the model in question leaping a stile or ditch in the hunting field running down an Arcanist, perhaps, far into the wastes around the City, but the pose now fits perfectly into Malifaux itself. Also the irregular cobblestones: I don't know if they are handmade or purchased, but the use of the bases in either case shows good judgement: I imagine the better parts of Malifaux are neatly cobbled with setts, kerbs and flagstone pavements, this rougher look suggests a hunt into the Slums.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Soooo sorry for being late ! Here is my production for the month of june, I hope you'll like it ;)
Brewmaster : 15
Fingers : 10
Moon shinobi *2 : 10
Apprentice Wesley : 4
Fermented river monks x2 : 10
Akaaname x3 : 12
Crime boss : 8
Mindless Zombie : 2
Monk of low river : 4
Tanuki (wanted to show it at Testosterone (you'll see why :D), but I had already showed it here...) : 5

Tavern from Tabletop World : 5

For a total of : 85
20180627_164347.jpg20180626_221109.jpg
20180701_234027.jpg20180701_234116.jpg
20180701_234253.jpg20180701_234329.jpg
20180701_234357.jpg20180701_234433.jpg
20180701_234505.jpg

• Like 9

10 hours ago, Burnin' Coal said:

@Franchute With non stop work my painting hit a wall so at only 10SS I failed to make my pledge level - is that a mulligan?

Lets count it as a mulligan for now and if you'll need a 3rd mulligan we can always downgrade you to enforcer level. Would this be ok with you?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Franchute said:

Lets count it as a mulligan for now and if you'll need a 3rd mulligan we can always downgrade you to enforcer level. Would this be ok with you?

@Franchute....many thanks....as you are in charge could you please tell me if that was my first or second mulligan ?...rules are rules and two is the limit I believe 😉....but if going down to enforcer keeps me in then I'd be fine with that eventually 👍

@bedjy unbelievable !!.....quantity AND very high quality...really impressive with an excellent choice of palette

• Like 1

@bedjy Great eye + solid brushwork = impressive models. I like your style of layering -  the placement and color choices for your shadows look smooth and natural at scale without the need for time-consuming blending. The guy with the staff is an exception. He looks rushed.

Also the style of the little demon guys is a departure from your other models. Blends are smoother and the finish is shinier. Did you use some kind of a dip for those? 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, misterfinn said:

@bedjy Great eye + solid brushwork = impressive models. I like your style of layering -  the placement and color choices for your shadows look smooth and natural at scale without the need for time-consuming blending. The guy with the staff is an exception. He looks rushed.

Also the style of the little demon guys is a departure from your other models. Blends are smoother and the finish is shinier. Did you use some kind of a dip for those? 

Well, I admit I spent the minimum time possible on the monk ^^
For the little demons (Akaname) I've painted a light basecoat and went with many green/brown/red washes, while they were not dried. They were fun, fast and easy to paint !

@Burnin' Coal thank you !
@Caedrus well, yes... Those sceneries are the best !!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1