Katanaka Crime Boss help

Duront

3 minutes ago, Cadaver_Junkie said:

I use the Crime Boss with Wokou Raider(s)  in a Misaki crew. Both as beaters, with card draw synergy.

Do you feel like you get enough damage out of them? IIRC Crime Bosses don't hit too hard and in my experience Wokou really need a harder hitter to team up with to get value out of their Mask trigger. Or is the idea that Boss gives fragile after which Wokou will be hitting moderate 4's more often than not with Bosses getting a Mask trigger swing every now & then?

How's their staying power?

• Like 1

Haven't tried mine on the table personally.  On paper their staying power looks decent, 9 wound, hard to wound and Call Unto Chi should be healing 2-ish a turn (supporting model like Wokou, TTB, Obsidian Oni, even a Rail Worker to take advantage of Fragile and likely enemy model).

12 hours ago, Nikodemus said:

Do you feel like you get enough damage out of them? IIRC Crime Bosses don't hit too hard and in my experience Wokou really need a harder hitter to team up with to get value out of their Mask trigger. Or is the idea that Boss gives fragile after which Wokou will be hitting moderate 4's more often than not with Bosses getting a Mask trigger swing every now & then?

How's their staying power?

They seem to get a fair chunk of damage out - although the Wokou Raider seemed more resilient.

Haven't really played enough games to comment yet, but hopefully that'll be fixed shortly. I just like the large amount of synergy - Wokou Raiders giving the Crime Boss additional attacks to make proper use of fragile, and enemy scheme marker placement for card draw (and messing up enemy scoring).

I'm someone who won't run Yasunori (I don't like the model) so I'm looking elsewhere for my hard hitters. 

10 hours ago, Hargus56 said:

Haven't tried mine on the table personally.  On paper their staying power looks decent, 9 wound, hard to wound and Call Unto Chi should be healing 2-ish a turn (supporting model like Wokou, TTB, Obsidian Oni, even a Rail Worker to take advantage of Fragile and likely enemy model).

My difficulty with Calls Unto the Chi is that Thunders Territory seems so much more powerful!

Then again, you can always run two Crime Bosses! One activates Thunders Territory for both of them, the other can heal up.

20 minutes ago, nschwier said:

So it seems like the crime boss is a misaki only take? has anyone used the crime boss with shenlong or brewmaster?

I'll be running one with Brewmaster in my next game, so we'll see how it goes.

Less synergy overall, however he'll be able to hit harder (swilled opponents), and if (IF) Brewie gets a successful bubble off, it's a safe place to stand farming activation card draws. Plus, he's a great target for Brewmaster to Obey when you really need to bring down tough enemy models with armour etc.
Downside is, the Crime Boss has anti-synergy with Moon Shinobi (which I love). Fragile is not a good thing on an enemy target for a Moon Shinobi.

I have used the crime boss quite a lot recently. In Shen, McCabe and MIsaki crews. Basically any time I need a second line tank that can hold their own. Fragile is very easy to overlook too. If the Crime boss gets to go first and drop Fragile on an important model it won't live to see the rest of the turn. Usually I drop Smoke Grenades on it to keep it safe until it can get in there to do some damage.

I will often take it when there's gonna be some scheme marker shenanigans which is why it works well with Shen. Mighty Gust some enemy markers your way and draw extra cards. 

Thunders lacks a lot of min 3 damage so even though they are technically like .5SS over costed, I enjoy taking one. 

• 2 weeks later...

Crime Bosses have only worked favorably for me so far.

They have a lot of benefits, many of which have been mentioned: min 3 dmg, card draw, scheme marker control.  Fragile is a great ability to work with and they work well with other models around.  However, what I've found is that they are a mind-game piece.  Frequently, people worry about giving me another card, so they delay activating models near them, or use resources to push and move models out of disengagement just so they don't give me a card. With the ability to give out fragile, and a min 3 dmg, they also can be a threatening piece just sitting on the table.

Obviously, it depends on the scheme and strategy of the game.  But I find that in many ways, the Crime Boss is a great representation of what the TTs are: a model that you play to focus on winning the game.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Only played the Crimeboss twice, and both times they were pretty useful.  I think I prefer the Lotus Eater to them though, given his ability to remove enemy scheme markers when he activates, and at the chance of removing more for a 0 action.  Both KCB and LE have the ability to draw cards off enemy scheme markers as well.  Depending on the scheme pool, I'd probably keep my Lotus Eater mostly on my half of the board, or towards my own deployment to mitigate whatever possible schemes that could be fun on my half of the board.