water effects

KikkerVisje

with the other sides gibbering frogs coming out i was thinking about adding water effects to bases. but i am rather new with water effects. does anyone know a good brand for those trasparant drying acryl thing bottles? also, what would be the best way? create a little puddle edge with putty, paint and fill with that water stuff? would it work if i were to create an upstading edge with say tape and fill the created cavity with water stuff and remove the tape after drying? what colour should i paint the terrain beneath the water stuff for best swamp water effect?

How deep do you want to make the water?

This is an important consideration as different products will do different things well.

Here are some threads that might also be helpful:

I posted my experiences and assessments of several different products that might be helpful.

• Like 1

just a few millimeters thick. was planning on making some tiny puddles on the bases of the models as if it had been raining but the water hadn't yet completely drained away. also depending on wether or not wyrd is going to make official tidepool markers for the tidepool effects, i was thinking of making my own tiny tidepool markers, but those would probably be around 5 mm deep as other models still need to be able to stand on it without becoming wobbly so the pools can't be too deep/high. but i think i'll need to apply in layers if the tidepool thing will be a thing since i've heard some stories of vallejo not working in layers thicker than 2-3mm.

For puddles I would recommend either Woodland Scenics Realistic Water or the Vallejo stuff should be fine (I believe it is a very similar product). Instead of brushing it on use a disposable plastic pipit (though a cocktail straw can work as well). Create a bowled depression with your basing material (flock, sand, or milliput) and then dribble either if these products in. You can slosh them around slightly to spread it but it will tend to settle a bit before drying. Also worth mentioning that these two products can exhibit a capillary action and climb the sides of a feature or bubble if you aren't careful. The puddles will be relatively shallow so you may need to apply a few layers.

For the deeper water effects I would recommend purchasing some "deep" bases for what you are planning. Alternatively you can cut some standard bases and use a thin clear plastic to seal the bottom (the old blisters work really well). This way you can include some tide pool do-dads to increase the realism. I would recommend envirotex lite and Woodland Scenics Water Effects applied to the top of it once dried. This will give your water some depth and also movement (the Water Effects is used to create small waves). The enivrotex lite can be poured in thicker layers than any of the other products mentioned but you still want to keep it reasonable (it can also exhibit a capillary action in certain circumstances). The ratios are important but if you get them wrong they can be fixed later. The worst case is the sticky finish, which occurs if you dont mix enough hardener in. To fix this paint some of the Woodland Scenics Realistic Water or the Vallejo product over the top. This will seal it and remove the tackiness without require any additional work. Also don't worry to much if you see bubbles in the beginning (after pouring) that is normal and they should go away as the product is drying. If they don't dissipate after a few minutes then try exhaling across the surface.

• Like 2