Looking for tips to start playing.

BrassWitch

Hello everyone. 

As the title suggests, I'm looking to start playing Malifaux with a friend of mine and I'm looking for some tips. 

Are the "Boxed sets" a good first purchase to make? For example, I'm interested in the "AN ONI'S WRATH - ASAMI BOX SET" box.

What would be some good value purchases after that? 

Thanks guys. 

First of all, I'd have a think about how big you want to start out. The game is definitely best balanced at the 50 stone mark, but in my area there's a bunch of players with just a crew box and a few extras that have a lot of fun playing at the 35 to 40 stone mark. YMMV.

Then I would make these articles my next stop: https://schemesandstones.wordpress.com/category/building-on-a-budget/

There's some really great tips in there, not only "this is what you buy" but also some "this is why" and "you might want to grab this next". They really helped me out when I started.

Wyrd chronicles is available from drivethrurpg and has a similar series but not for all factions I think.

• Like 1

Schemes and Stones series is good for the very beginning because it’s cheap and specific: the Wyrd Chronicles series gives more options for adding on beyond that.

Asami can use some mid-range ‘stone cost (Obsidian Oni) and high cost (Jorogumo) summonable models, but she happens to sit in a faction with very good, rather expensive in both senses toolbox models (Shadow Emissary to buff, Yasunori to kill). I haven’t played her enough to know what she wants from her faction’s newest options.

5 hours ago, BrassWitch said:

Are the "Boxed sets" a good first purchase to make?

Boxed set is a necessary first purchase, since Masters are not sold separately. Important thing to notice (which you probably already know): total Soulstone value of the models is different in each box. Playing with your friend make sure that both of you have crews of equal Soulstone value. Did someone already introduced you into the game or it will be your first experience of Malifaux?

15 hours ago, thatlatinspeakingguy said:

Boxed set is a necessary first purchase, since Masters are not sold separately. Important thing to notice (which you probably already know): total Soulstone value of the models is different in each box. Playing with your friend make sure that both of you have crews of equal Soulstone value. Did someone already introduced you into the game or it will be your first experience of Malifaux?

I plan on looking on youtube for gameplay after I'm done reading the rules. But yeah, playing together will be our first experience with it, however, we've played some other miniatures games in the past, mostly 40k. 

9 hours ago, BrassWitch said:

I plan on looking on youtube for gameplay after I'm done reading the rules. But yeah, playing together will be our first experience with it, however, we've played some other miniatures games in the past, mostly 40k. 

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any doubts about the rules and particular mechanics. Folks here will gladly answer all your questions! In case you don't know, there's official FAQ:  https://www.wyrd-games.net/malifaux-faq-errata/.