Third Floor Wars - Mr. Tannen

InvokeChaos

Good read, but is there any reason why you didn't mention Asami or The Dreamer? Tannen's +2 to masks becomes very strong with them as they allow those masters to summon in easier. Yokai on 7 and Jorogumo on 11 for Asami works pretty well. Dreamer gets Lilitu on a 10, Lelu/stitched on 8 AND the ability to bring in a Teddy with 13 :mask or RJ.

Played him in a brewmaster crew last night. his Cooler aura, manipulative wp duels and occasional chatty aura probably won me the game when he sat next to ironsides plying her for information. Hes worth his weight in gold sometimes.

6 hours ago, whodares said:

Good read, but is there any reason why you didn't mention Asami or The Dreamer? Tannen's +2 to masks becomes very strong with them as they allow those masters to summon in easier. Yokai on 7 and Jorogumo on 11 for Asami works pretty well. Dreamer gets Lilitu on a 10, Lelu/stitched on 8 AND the ability to bring in a Teddy with 13 :mask or RJ.

To be honest, just because it's a very blatant synergy and I was trying to focus on things aside from that.

Pretty much every one I've talked to over the years has mentioned the Tannen summoning synergy, specifically for getting Teddy or for Joro on 11s.  So to keep an already wordy article a tad shorter, I didn't touch on it. 

That's all!

4 hours ago, Stewbert said:

Played him in a brewmaster crew last night. his Cooler aura, manipulative wp duels and occasional chatty aura probably won me the game when he sat next to ironsides plying her for information. Hes worth his weight in gold sometimes.

Keeping him alive is the big challenge. He's just such a card sink from existing. Good times! Keep the union in their place! :D 

On 5/24/2018 at 11:09 AM, Kaernak said:

Your article made me want to buy this guy!

Awesome! Just don't over extend him and you'll love how he affects the board :D 

A point to re-iterate as well, that his Leave It To Luck 0 action only has a 6" range.  So if you have high masks in hand and some ranged models nearby, they can cheat those masks at the +2 value, and your opponent doesn't get the boost. 

I've used this in the past for sniper fire in my Shenlong sniper list, because I have a 9 card hand, I often get a few masks.  It's great for turning 9's and 10's into severe damage with the focused shot! 

The above was faq'ed to not affect severity, only numerical value. So it's only useful for attacks in the sniper scenario. Still good to have, just not quite as bad-ass as I previously had thought! ^_^

• Like 1

1 hour ago, InvokeChaos said:

Awesome! Just don't over extend him and you'll love how he affects the board :D 

A point to re-iterate as well, that his Leave It To Luck 0 action only has a 6" range.  So if you have high masks in hand and some ranged models nearby, they can cheat those masks at the +2 value, and your opponent doesn't get the boost. 

I've used this in the past for sniper fire in my Shenlong sniper list, because I have a 9 card hand, I often get a few masks.  It's great for turning 9's and 10's into severe damage with the focused shot! 

Now THAT'S the kind of tech I like to hear.

15 hours ago, Stewbert said:

With Brewmaster, and particularly with Binge, he can be truly vicious. Out-of-activation actions on a Manipulative 13 support/disruption model like Mr Tannen early in a turn are extremely valuable for exploiting the card advantage he can provide.

I still prefer to bring him with Mr Graves, if only because every bar needs a bouncer.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2018 at 12:26 PM, InvokeChaos said:

The severity of cards can't be upgraded/downgraded with things like Leave It To Luck. 

40) Can the numerical value of cards used for the damage flip be modified? For example, by the Leave it to Luck Action? No. However, it may receive + and - modifiers as normal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, santaclaws01 said:

The severity of cards can't be upgraded/downgraded with things like Leave It To Luck. 

40) Can the numerical value of cards used for the damage flip be modified? For example, by the Leave it to Luck Action? No. However, it may receive + and - modifiers as normal.

Oh thanks! Didn’t realize that! Though I suppose it got faq’ed to prevent exactly that kind of tomfoolery!