Game Time

PolishSausage

Can anyone share their experience from any game time they had with the faction and what are their favorite units?

From what I have seen the engineers are a must in every unit. Our faction lascannon is the best for guaranteed card cycling. Iron Legion in a horde mincing monstrosity.

I would love to hear those that have tried the game and what they found "Strong" in Abyssinia.

Mechanised Infrantry are ridiculous in my experience. Their titan has a 36" range gun and they can all reduce their duel total by 2 to add a suit to the total, any number of times per duel. As far as I can tell this occurs after the modify step, so you can lower your total without fear of your opponent cheating to beat it. This allows you to add a :ToS-Tome: for card draw whenever you want. 

They have some other tricks as well, but the high range of the titan and the innate card draw, all for 8 scrip is amazing in my opinion. 

• Agree 1

mehal safari are a power house infantry unit. high base armor, very solid ranged attack and one of the best melee attack strengths in the game. the mehals also can move your commanders and net you tactics tokens. their armor keeps them around when lesser units would fade.

the dreadnough is a beast of a death machine particularly when its running triple mounted gunners. the volume of attacks at str 3 plus pin tokens means you can lock doen and destroy and enemy unit fairly consistently. not to mention the free dmg it can do just by walking over non titan fireteams.

th3 steel legion, this unit is death incarnate. when the cutter gets going it is buzzsaws for days as it easily can smash through fireteams. combine that with the shooting ability of the regular steel legion troops and this unit can break open a line.

basotho cavalry- best screening unit in the game. reliable source of pin tokens can harass very easily and can threaten objectives with their high speed.

• Like 2

I've not played with Abyssinia yet (only against), but I just want to add one thing - Crow Runners.

On the face of it they're useful harrassers who can threaten objectives early, but once they flip to Glory they get Lead the Way. This lets them move another fireteam (inc. Titan or Commander) up to their speed and with the trigger, take an action. For a 6 Scrip unit that can do this up to three times per activation, that seems like a pretty incredible force multiplier! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, PolishSausage said:

I also hear sticking engineer into every squad is a good idea. (extra attack)

Only to a point. Remember 3 Engineers is equal to a Marauder, which can be invaluable for taking objectives. So while Engineers are definitely amazing, you don't want to splurge on so many that you have trouble achieving the Operation. ;) 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Card draw from engineers is super useful. The extra ranged attack can come in handy, but not if you're planning on getting into the thick of things.

But yeah: remember the objectives. So far I've noticed that it's rather difficult to completely blow a unit away that isn't a chaff unit anyway. This means it's super important to remember to have additional moving parts for going after objectives. For 2 scrip you can bring in a Rail Gunner, 3 gets you a Marauder. This helps when your Electrocutioners, Steel Legion, and Mehal Sefari are being tarpitted.

Even if the only thing that the Rail Gunner does during their activation is flip to glory, that's an activation you can use to hold out for decisive actions without having to pitch a card to The Long Game. Every little bit to gain advantage helps. Late activation of an objective runner like the Marauder means that there's less your opponent can do to interfere with them. They cannot flip an objective back if they have nothing close enough to move in and spend the tactics token. Similarly, with their raw speed and ability to shoot as part of a Rush order, they can threaten a long distance, putting some pressure on elements that are normally safely tucked away in the backfield.