Guild in the competitive scene right now

4thstringer

20 minutes ago, Ozymandias79 said:

What are peoples thoughts on Santiago vs Abuela?  I’d take her over Santiago in just about any matchup (if you aren’t taking Jury).  

Also, would I be crazy to drop a monster hunter for a pistolero?  I like the extra defense, but man Monster Hunters are good. 

I agree on abuela, though Santiago is tougher.  You would be crazy to drop a monster Hunter for a pistolero.  They are better when you take 2

3 hours ago, Ozymandias79 said:

What are peoples thoughts on Santiago vs Abuela?  I’d take her over Santiago in just about any matchup (if you aren’t taking Jury).  

Also, would I be crazy to drop a monster hunter for a pistolero?  I like the extra defense, but man Monster Hunters are good. 

I don't feel bad taking Santiago with the Jury; he's done some crazy damage with her help.  Abuela overall is much better.  Letting other models w/out a 0 action push her is great, using her 0 to make a friendly model take a 1 is great!

Yes, you'd be a little crazy to drop a monster hunter for the pistolero, but it's your choice in the end. :) The only reason you'd take pistoleros is for their Df boost, otherwise they aren't doing much of anything.  Monster Hunters do so so much more.  4thstringer, have you used Pistoleros in your Iron Chef challenge yet?

13 hours ago, 4thstringer said:

Sonnia Criid + 5 Pool
- Cherufe's Imprint (1)
- Cherufes Parting Gift (1)
- Counterspell Aura (1)
Malifaux Child (3)
Dr. Grimwell (9)
- Expert Sleuth (1)
Francisco Ortega (8)
- Wade In (1)
- Hermanos de Armas (1)
Papa Loco (7)
- Expert Sleuth (1)
Guild Investigator (6)
Watcher (4)
Brutal Effigy (4)

That Sonnia crew looks strangely familiar :)

7 hours ago, jchrisobrien said:

I don't feel bad taking Santiago with the Jury; he's done some crazy damage with her help.  Abuela overall is much better.  Letting other models w/out a 0 action push her is great, using her 0 to make a friendly model take a 1 is great!

Yes, you'd be a little crazy to drop a monster hunter for the pistolero, but it's your choice in the end. :) The only reason you'd take pistoleros is for their Df boost, otherwise they aren't doing much of anything.  Monster Hunters do so so much more.  4thstringer, have you used Pistoleros in your Iron Chef challenge yet?

No, I'm hoping they don't think of that one. I've got guild Sarge this week and I'm trying to convince them to let me do blood wretch next week so I can do the card engine.

Here's Duncan's sonnia build from AWP

Duncan Bilz

Oh and this is my list. 
Beware its not user friendly. 

50 SS Guild Crew
Sonnia Criid + 4 Pool
- Cherufe's Imprint (1)
- Counterspell Aura (1)
Student of Conflict (5)
Dr. Grimwell (9)
- Expert Sleuth (1)
Francisco Ortega (8)
- Wade In (1)
- Hermanos de Armas (1)
Papa Loco (7)
Guild Investigator (6)
Watcher (4)
Brutal Effigy (4)

2 minutes ago, 4thstringer said:

One consistent thing I'm seeing all these lists of that debt to the guild isn't on any of them, and monster Hunters aren't in most.   Surprising.

What is this, a thread for 2016?! 😛

Monster hunters still don't have models right? No debt sounds insane though...

57 minutes ago, 4thstringer said:

One consistent thing I'm seeing all these lists of that debt to the guild isn't on any of them, and monster Hunters aren't in most.   Surprising.

That`s because all the support goes into Sonnia, so Franc and Grimwell have no slot or no stones for debt.

And Monster Hunters do nothing for her, they are good models on their own, but don`t support these "Alpha Sonnia" lists in any way^^

• Like 1

Hopefully I can provide answers to some of the questions about my lists so far. 

The Sonnia list is totally ripped from Duncan. I thought I mentioned that on FB, but maybe I forgot to. I probably don't pilot it as well as he does, but it did feel very strong. 

I totally agree that Abuela is better than Santiago. I just didn't have Abuela painted and wanted to give Santiago a shot. For the strats and schemes those rounds, I really just wanted another warm body with the family characteristic that could hold an upgrade. Santiago was a bit of a disappointment and I probably won't run him again. 

Monster hunters made it into half of my lists (2 Perdita lists and in my Nellie list) which I think is reasonable. There isn't a ton of room for them in the Sonnia list and Lucius doesn't need them when he has double thralls.

I played Lucius for headhuunter and sqatter's. So, the lists may seem a bit weird. They felt strong though. I enjoy pathfinder in squatter's and will take it in other pools as long as traps don't give away points. I'm happy to discuss the merrits of hiring a pathfinder and a trap in. It is the same price as one of our henchmen, but I always get good use out of him.

Lack of debt is a bit weird as I do think it is very strong. It doesn't have a place in the Lucius lists and there isn't much room in the Sonnia list. In the Perdita lists, I wanted a bit of staying power. Santiago gets a bit beefier with LLC and I don't think Franc requires it for his damage output to be solid. I've been playing LLC on Franc to see if  I like the slight increase in survivability. I don't think Peackeeper necessarily needs debt (though min 5 is sweet) in the Nellie list. I have a fear of obeys and conditions on my PK as my local meta has taken to using those on it. Phiona was in that list to score dig (of course) and I guess I just did see a need for it on her. 

• Like 3

I was the one who asked for the lists on FB, but it’s nice to have you join the discussion here.  Great job on kicking ass with Guild, especially Perdita, I look forward to trying out your ideas next time I see Ply for the strategy. 

With the reduction in LLC, I think it gives Debt a real run for its money. Armor +1 on our hitters may keep them swinging longer so will result in more damage overall. I feel Debt is best with models who can get extra attacks or have a high Ml so it isn’t wasted. 

• Like 3

Another tournament results list from AWP, this time from Kevin K., Who went 2-1 with Dougie (my paraphrase, since I can't seem to copy and paste)

1. Dougie

Coroner, on the clock, plastic surgery

Chihuahua

Frank-Wade in, debt

Seb- debt

Jury- debt

Austringer, austringer, effigy

2. Dougie-test subjects, coroner, plastic surgery

Jury-debt

2xSabertooth- debt

2x guild guard

Queller

Effigy

7 hours ago, Ludvig said:

He was playing in a tournament where McMourning was the only master allowed. Might be worth mentioning. ;) 

Are you sure about that? I thought only the Aussies had done a tournament like that so far.

I still want to see this format done again as “Taking the Mickey”. :P 

This was the second list. Really like this one, looks brutal.

Kitty Mourning 50ss 
Leader: McMourning - Cache:(4)
+ Guild Coroner 1ss 
+ Test Subjects 1ss 
+ Plastic Surgery 1ss 
The Jury 8ss 
+ A Debt To The Guild 1ss 
Sabertooth Cerberus 9ss 
Sabertooth Cerberus 9ss 
Brutal Effigy 4ss 
Thalarian Queller 6ss 
Guild Guard 3ss 
Guild Guard 3ss

• Like 1

On 5/23/2018 at 7:04 AM, 4thstringer said:

Here's Duncan's sonnia build from AWP

Duncan Bilz

Oh and this is my list. 
Beware its not user friendly. 

50 SS Guild Crew
Sonnia Criid + 4 Pool
- Cherufe's Imprint (1)
- Counterspell Aura (1)
Student of Conflict (5)
Dr. Grimwell (9)
- Expert Sleuth (1)
Francisco Ortega (8)
- Wade In (1)
- Hermanos de Armas (1)
Papa Loco (7)
Guild Investigator (6)
Watcher (4)
Brutal Effigy (4)

This may be a newb question but, the Student of  Conflict, is it only there to make Sonnia or Grimwell Fast? Or is there some other tactic I am not seeing?

thanks in advance 

EDIT - I finally found original post on AWP. 

On 5/11/2018 at 8:22 PM, Tris said:

I´m starting to dislike that the Jury has no htk, but she`s definitely one of our top models for 8 stones (tbh, we got some pretty solid henches in that bracket^^) and has an easy heal and condition remove on a very strong base model, coupled with slow and card draw on her attack.

Just throw in a casual Deathmarshal Recruiter and she has a far better option than just htk :).

On 5/27/2018 at 8:50 PM, Ludvig said:

This was the second list. Really like this one, looks brutal.

Kitty Mourning 50ss 
Leader: McMourning - Cache:(4)
+ Guild Coroner 1ss 
+ Test Subjects 1ss 
+ Plastic Surgery 1ss 
The Jury 8ss 
Sabertooth Cerberus 9ss 
Sabertooth Cerberus 9ss 
Brutal Effigy 4ss 
Thalarian Queller 6ss 
Guild Guard 3ss 
Guild Guard 3ss

I like very much this list! 

I went to Bad Things Happens (local Malifaux tournament) this last week.  Lots of 10 Thunders and Neverborn crews, a few Gremlins, and two Guild.  No Arcanists or Ressurs, very strange!

Game 1 was Standard Extraction: Surround Them, Dig their Graves, Set up, Hold Up their Forces, Undercover Entourage.  It was a Nellie vs Lilith match up!

Nellie (misleading headlines, delegation, guild funds), Printing Press, Francisco (wade in, debt), Phiona Gage (transparency, lead lined coat), The Jury (numb, lead lined coat), Thalarian Queller, Watcher, Field Reporter.

Lilith, Primordial Magic, Hooded Rider, Lilitu, Doppelganger, Changleing, Walkdgeist, Grootslang!

It was a very tight game, with both of us circling around a big water tower near the center of the table.  Lilitu, the Doppelganger, and the Changeling were hoping for multiple lures a turn; I shut this down with a few Supression markers and Numb to the World, then charged to kill Lilitu and the Changleing.  Francisco was rooted by Lility but got around that by placing next to the Grootslang and killing it.  I lost Francisco and Nellie shortly after that (which was bad because Nellie had Entourage for me), but before she died she helped secure 3 points from Set Up on the Hooded Rider, and full points for Extraction.  My opponent scored 2 each for Hold Up and Entourage, and 3 points for Extraction.  A 7-7 draw!

Game 2 was Flank Ply for Information: Surround Them, Set Up, Show of Force, Search the Ruins, Take One for the Team

Perdita (fastest draw, trick shooting, shooting cans), Enslaved Nephilim, Francisco (wade in), the Jury (numb), Abuela (lead lined coat), 2 Monster Hunters, Brutal Effigy

Asami, Amanjaku, Ama No Zaku, Ohaguro Bettati, Shadow Emissary, 2 Yokai (I might be missing something)

This game quickly turned into a big brawl in the center of the board, since we were both going for Search the Ruins.  We were both losing models right and left, the key part of the game was in the last turn when Perdita relocated out of an engagement, shot two of his scheme markers off the board, and dropped one of her own to score Search.  I ended up winning that game 8-4 (full points for Show and 2 for Ply). 

Game 3 was Close Headhunter: Eliminate the Leadership, Set Up, Show of Force, Vendetta, Public Demonstration

Lilith, Primordial Magic, Hooded Rider, Lilitu, Baby Kade, 2 Young Nephilim

My opponent spread her crew across the board while I stayed in a clump just left of center.  I was able to corner and kill one young nephilim early on.  Baby Cade and Lilitu lured the recruiter across the table while the rest of our crews headed to the middle.  There was a titanic brawl between Lilith and Lady J!  The Recruiter hurried back to the center as fast as he could, but not in time to save Lady J's life.  Lilith then goes on to stave off three attacks and stay alive with 1 wound left!  Both of scored points for Eliminate, but I had two Heads and all my Show of Force Points for a 6-4 win.

At day's end I was 2-0-1, which was enough for Best in Guild and second place overall!  The event was fantastic, as were the players.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1