Hazardous Terrain timing and Strike markers.

WWHSD

Question

When a model moves into Hazardous Terrain, does it flip for damage when it enters the terrain or when it completes the move? 

If damage is done when a model moves into the Terrain it seems like that makes Severe attribute of the marker irrelevant for any model that takes damage from the marker since the marker is removed.

6 answers to this question

From the FAQ
29) Some models have an a that treats area around them as hazardous. How does this work? The area within the model’s aura is treated as a unique set of hazardous terrain (and therefore deals 1/2/4 damage). In the example (see FAQ download), Gamin A would make a flip for Jaakuna’s aura when it finishes its movement. Gamin B would make a flip for the lava and one for Jaakuna when it activates. Gamin C would also make two flips: one for entering the aura, and one for entering the lava.

I have thought the same before. I couldn't find anything in the rulebook but the underlined part of the above was pointed out to me by a friend.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, WWHSD said:

When a model moves into Hazardous Terrain, does it flip for damage when it enters the terrain or when it completes the move? 

If damage is done when a model moves into the Terrain it seems like that makes Severe attribute of the marker irrelevant for any model that takes damage from the marker since the marker is removed.

When entering is at the moment you enter as far as I know. One type of hazardous marker is removed, there are plenty that aren't removed and I'm sure there are some models that ignore hazardous terrain but not severe. 

2 hours ago, Ludvig said:

When entering is at the moment you enter as far as I know. One type of hazardous marker is removed, there are plenty that aren't removed and I'm sure there are some models that ignore hazardous terrain but not severe. 

The reason I'm asking the question is that I am wondering if a Strike Marker will slow down a model that moves through it. It looks like it will only slow down models that are immune to damage from Hazardous terrain.

Woops, been doing that wrong then.

In the rulebook it says hazardous terrain deals damage to models that activate in it or enter it (p 60 big book). That is what got me sidetracked even if it doesn't mention it happening at the exact point of entry. It does make sense that you fully resolve the move first, smoothens it all out. I need to abuse that with Lilith and her hazardous markers in a crew with black blood. With a decent move you could skirt the edge of a hazardous marker and nestle yourself between a couple of enemy models before bleeding. :D 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 7thSquirrel said:

From the FAQ
29) Some models have an a that treats area around them as hazardous. How does this work? The area within the model’s aura is treated as a unique set of hazardous terrain (and therefore deals 1/2/4 damage). In the example (see FAQ download), Gamin A would make a flip for Jaakuna’s aura when it finishes its movement. Gamin B would make a flip for the lava and one for Jaakuna when it activates. Gamin C would also make two flips: one for entering the aura, and one for entering the lava.

I have thought the same before. I couldn't find anything in the rulebook but the underlined part of the above was pointed out to me by a friend.

Why didn't I think to look under the FAQ entries for a Resser model to answer a general question about Hazardous Terrain.

It seems like I always miss the obvious stuff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2