Question about 'In the blink of an eye' (and similar abilities)

Zedicius

Question

I did a search first, though couldn't find anything specific... So, Scion of the Void's 'In the blink of an eye' ability states it can 'move' its WK, ignoring terrain and other models. Since the model isn't being pushed and distance is always measured top-down, does that mean it can essentially teleport on top of a wall, or a tower if it's within the WK distance?

4 answers to this question

It can walk through a wall or tower of any height. It still has to pay the height difference in movement to end on top. Look at answer 9 in the FAQ (I can't get my phone to copy from the app) regarding flight and incorporeal movement on vertical terrain. The same answer can be applied to scion. 

• Thanks 1

Moving your Wk is what you do when you take a walk action. You have to avoid scenery, other models etc. as normal. Vertical distances are counted if you're moving upward on a Climbable piece of terrain, dropping down from a ledge is as it would be when moving normally.

Teleportation type effects will say something like "Place this models within X inches". In that case the intervening terrain doesn't matter, although I believe changes in elevation still count towards the distance and you often need Line of Sight. 

15 hours ago, lusciousmccabe said:

Moving your Wk is what you do when you take a walk action. You have to avoid scenery, other models etc. as normal. Vertical distances are counted if you're moving upward on a Climbable piece of terrain, dropping down from a ledge is as it would be when moving normally.

Teleportation type effects will say something like "Place this models within X inches". In that case the intervening terrain doesn't matter, although I believe changes in elevation still count towards the distance and you often need Line of Sight. 

What you describe would normally be an issue, but In The Blink of An Eye says "Immediately move this model up to its Wk, ignoring intervening models and terrain during the move.   ..."

So it is a flight or incorporeal style move.

• Like 1

How do the Flight and Incorporeal abilities interact with vertical terrain? Can a model with Flight end its move a further vertical distance from its starting point than its Walk stat would normally allow? Can a model with flight “leap” over a gap in two pieces of terrain?

A model with Flight ignores terrain for all purposes while moving. However, the distance the model moves is still limited by the length of the move the model is allowed to take. Add the distance the model moved horizontally in relationship to its starting point to the distance the model moved vertically upwards (downwards movement is falling and it is never counted against a model’s movement total) in relationship to its starting point. This value may not exceed the distance allowed by the move the model was making. For example, a model with a Wk of 6 and Flight declares a Walk Action. It is on a Ht 3 building and wishes to move to a point on a separate terrain piece (a Height 5 building) which is 3" away. It takes the model 5" of movement to get there (3" of horizontal movement and 2" of vertical movement because the difference between the Heights of the buildings is 2, and the model is moving upwards). Since the model has a Wk of 6, it can make it to the desired point on the Ht 5 building and still has 1" of movement to use as it wishes once it gets there. Incorporeal models move in the same way, though they may take falling damage if the end point of their move is on a lower Ht, depending on the terrain (see falling, Core Rulebook pg. 42).

From the FAQ. This appears to be the answer that I'm looking for!