Arcanist vs Sonnia

cbtb11235813

I might be tempted to hire Hans as well just because I hate those firewall things she always throws up.

Kaeris with Grab and Drop might be nice since it will give you a way to get your models over the walls or to bring a victim over to your side of the wall. 

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, WWHSD said:

You could bring a metric shit-ton of blast immune Slate Ridge Maulers.

It may not be any good but I doubt a Sonnia players wants to see a bunch of stuff that doesn't care about blasts sitting across the table from them..

33 minutes ago, 7thSquirrel said:

not only blast immune but impossible to wound, i.e. can't even cheat to get those blasts:) . They just have to rely on their Ca 9 to beat the bear by enough to naturally flip a blast against the built in negative to damage flips.

Oooooooooooo, I forgot about Bearskin Armor

21 minutes ago, WWHSD said:

I might be tempted to hire Hans as well just because I hate those firewall things she always throws up.

Kaeris with Grab and Drop might be nice since it will give you a way to get your models over the walls or to bring a victim over to your side of the wall. 

Alas, I don't have Kaeris (or Hans for that matter). Both on the list, but I have a tournament coming up at the end of may, and a decent chance of running into a notoriously good Sonnia player. Trying to get Ironsides & co. painted before then, currently only have Ramos, Raspy, and Sandeep ready for the table

11 hours ago, cbtb11235813 said:

As implied by the title, what would you bring against an opponent playing Sonnia, not knowing the S&S?

Madness!!!  😏

Whats this trying to build a list just based on the opponents master and not at all on what you are doing to score VPs.  Or even  based on how to use the board to your advantage.

Sonnias main approach is to blast. My normal approach to reduce that is to kill her, or just tie her up to stop those blasts. If you can get Marcus standign next to her and has  turned her into a beast, its pretty hard for her to do much about it. the best success I have is to try and reduce her killing power and then use the rest of my crew to score me the points whilst denying her. 

Don't get too focused on what your opponent is doing, have a plan for how you are going to win the game, and then adapt that to ruin your enemies plan. 

Killing Papa when he is standing near to her is useful, and getting rid of the effigy as her source of healing and card draw will certainly hamper her plans, but only if she bringa those models

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Alpha Papa Loco with Marcus. Byebye Sonnia. ;)

You could also Alpha Francisco if he is within flurry range. Hia consitio dropw whenhe qctivates and then you do a flurry at ml 7 against df 4. Bonus points if he has debt on him, use that as well!

• Like 1

Marcus is definitely the one to go for vs Sonnia! All the Alpha strikes and then Alpha'ing models to attack her back and if you're lucky, Alpha'ing Sonnia herself to blow up her own crew! Just have to be careful with LoS issues and such.  

On 5/8/2018 at 7:15 AM, Ludvig said:

Alpha Papa Loco with Marcus. Byebye Sonnia. ;)

You could also Alpha Francisco if he is within flurry range. Hia consitio dropw whenhe qctivates and then you do a flurry at ml 7 against df 4. Bonus points if he has debt on him, use that as well!

If he has Debt on him, you get to draw the card and not the Sonnia player! I once Alpha'd an Executioner who had Debt and let's just say that the enemy Master didn't last long after that! lol. 

2 minutes ago, KingCrow said:

Marcus is definitely the one to go for vs Sonnia! All the Alpha strikes and then Alpha'ing models to attack her back and if you're lucky, Alpha'ing Sonnia herself to blow up her own crew! Just have to be careful with LoS issues and such.  

If he has Debt on him, you get to draw the card and not the Sonnia player! I once Alpha'd an Executioner who had Debt and let's just say that the enemy Master didn't last long after that! lol. 

Sonnia ia pretty hard to Alpha, she is wp 9 most of the time amd sometimes gives your casts negatoves and or strips suits. You don't want to give her the defensive trigger to hit you back.

I own Marcus, but have not even finished building his box, let alone painted his crew or played them. I look forward to learning him shortly after this tournament. As of now I have Ramos, Rasputina, and Sandeep table ready, and am going to try to have Ironsides ready to go (fingers crossed)

• Like 1

Ramos is tricky versus Sonnia (playable but tricky).  The trick is to ensure that you can defend the model being targeted from Sonnia and/or stay spread far enough so blast has least impact. Thing is Arachnids aren’t so great at avoiding that. Second issue with Ramos vs Sonnia is that all/most models are melee and getting around that wall is not easy. 

Again playable - but tricky.