So who are your iron Scorpius 5?

4thstringer

Let's say you are going to the capital city meltdown this weekend and you are trying to win the iron Scorpius, i.e.5 rounds five masters.  Which five would you bring?  I think @jchrisobriensaid he's going for it, so let's all wish him well as our forum guild representative.

My answer to this would be Nellie, lj, sonnia, Dita and either lucius or Hoffman (hoff gets it if stake a claim was in the strat pools).

I'd probably slip in Lucas for Dita if I actually played him.  I proxies him last week and really liked him.

EDIT: My guilt is killing me.  Likely leaving Lucius out is not ok.  Hes probably now going to have me killed.   Lucius replaces Perdita/Lucas.  Sorry to have strayed bb.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jchrisobrien said:

I will be bringing (in no particular order) Lady Justice, Lucius, Nellie, Sonnia and Perdita.  I don't own Lucas, and haven't practiced with Hoffman at all. 
Perdita is my sweetheart (and my highest win record) so she will not be left home.  Like I could stop her!

Hoff only gets the call for me because of stake a claim.  Who is your drop for that? It's the strat that really sucks for guild if you aren't ready.

I'll write something as soon as I'm home again, short version - none of us podiumd^^

Best Guild was 8th I think, but he didn't participate in the Iron Scorpius (although he played 4 different masters, so not that bad) which might make me best Iron Scorpius Guild with rank 18 out of 44 😛

Could've been a lot better if it wasn't for some stupid mistakes on my side, which just shows me that I should've practiced more before^^

Great event nonetheless I enjoyed playing, talking and drinking with all of the american guys :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tris said:

I'll write something as soon as I'm home again, short version - none of us podiumd^^

Best Guild was 8th I think, but he didn't participate in the Iron Scorpius (although he played 4 different masters, so not that bad) which might make me best Iron Scorpius Guild with rank 18 out of 44 😛

Could've been a lot better if it wasn't for some stupid mistakes on my side, which just shows me that I should've practiced more before^^

Great event nonetheless I enjoyed playing, talking and drinking with all of the american guys :)

The way I see it you get best guild.  Good work!

15 hours ago, Tris said:

w I assume Nellie, Lady J, Sonnia, and Lucius for 4 of them; who was number 5? 

On 5/8/2018 at 1:55 PM, 4thstringer said:

The way I see it you get best guild.  Good work!

I still wouldn`t say that as the results are clearly not backing that up, but thank you :)

19 hours ago, thewrathchilde said:

w I assume Nellie, Lady J, Sonnia, and Lucius for 4 of them; who was number 5? 

So, finally at home again after a long flight and like 12h of sleep^^

1st game was

Standard, Ply for Information

Surround them, Set Up, Inescapable Trap, Show of Force, Vendetta

Started the day and tournament against Outcast, had some strategies revolving around Lucius and double Beckoners or basically any master with a Domador/Belle in mind for this but went for the "I blast everything to death before it can ply me" strategy as I wanted to preserve my interact heavier masters for the later games.

Game was against Outcasts, I felt quite confident against most of their masters, but the Iron Scorpius led to interesting thoughts from the start - I didn`t think he would play Hamelin, Levi or the Viks in the first round because you would probably want to preserve them for later, Tara seemed possible but was even more likely to take the 2nd game (Squatters).

He dropped Von Schill, presumably to get him "out of the way" for later games.

VS with Nythera Aftermath and Oath if the Freikorps

Anna with Oathkeeper (?)

Johanna with Scramble

Lazarus with Oathkeeper (or Scramble too - i don`t know honestly)

Freikorps Engineer

Steam Trunk

Guilty

My list:

Sonnia with Cherufes Imprint and Parting Gift

Grimwell with LLC

Francisco with Wade In and Hermanos

Papa Loco

Investigator

Queller

Watcher

Brutal Effigy

I took a risk and dropped Counterspell aura and Numb on Papa Loco which made me more vulnerable to Lures and Obeys but gave let me fit a Queller, expecting to see Von Schill and with him some Armor^^.

I took Surround them and Show of force, sending my watcher off to drop my markers while keeping my upgrades in the middle and well, kill everything that comes in my sight :)

He threw Lazarus into me with VS new attack, but he had no companion on him which allowed me to activate the Investigator, drop a marker to push Franc, Companion into him walk and teleport in base contact, which prevented him from shooting. Also dropping a card to give him :-flipon ml against me.

Shutting VS off of Laz with Flame walls, next round activating the Queller, walk, enchant Franc, Companion and flurry Laz to death.

One Sonnia activation later the game was pretty much over with Laz, the Engineer and the Trunk dead.

VS and Anna managed to be quite annoying though with him placing my models al over the table and Anna preventing easy comebacks through her aura, but he couldn`t score enough after I killed Johanna who had Vendetta on Grimwell as soon as he got his first point for that.

With two models left he managed to get 2 points for ply, but that`s it for him.

Game ended 5:3 for me :)

2nd

Corner, Squatters Rights

Eliminate, Covert Breakthrough, Dig their Graves, Set Up, Take Prisoner

I was up against Ressers, Nicodem.

He had Nico with Maniacal Laugh, Circling Buzzards and (?)

Phillip and the Nanny with Corpse Bloat

Sebastian with Those are not Ours

Asura

Carrion Emmissary

Desp. Merc

Necro Punk

My list was 

Lucius with Deep Pockets, Condescending

Scribe

Phiona with Transparency, Debt

Franc with Wade In, LLC

Queeg with Promises

Investigator

Queller

Austringer

Queeg/Lucius combo enabled me to get the Squatters even while stemming the Zombie Horde, we both scored Dig, I took Covert, he Take prisoner on Lucius which resulted in the draw.

I think I could`ve won that game although my memories are hazy, he bluffed Take prisoner quite well which resulted in the 2-3 point swing at the end of the game (I went with Lucius to score at least 1point of Breakthrough at the end which gave him 3pt for Prisoner, but I think he would`ve been able to get 2 anyways).

I forgot to cycle cards with Lucius every turn! which could`ve helped me a lot, obviously.

I´m also quite sure I lost a point somewhere else, so, completely my fault that this game ended in a draw :)

3rd

Flank, Headhunter

Eliminate, Hold up their Forces, Take one for the team, Recover Evidence, Vendetta

My only opponent who didn`t participate in the Iron Scorpius challenge, and he declared Arcanists - so I prepared for Sandeep.

He had indeed Deep with Commands, Arcane Reservoir and something else?

Angelica

3 Mages

Carlos Vasquez

2 Slate Ridge Maulers

I took

Nellie with Misleading Headlines, Embedded, Delegations

Printing Press

Aionus with Numb

Sue with Debt

Burt with Debt

Performer

Queller

Another tie, I took Recover Evidence and Take one on Burt, he had Recover and Take one on one Bear.

I think I declared Recover too early (thinking I could get a marker a turn with Aionus placing them into my crew), but it`s hard to tell as that forced him to go into me which started the action.

Sandeep ended up killing Burt in turn 4, while my Queller killed his Bear, so I was up one point but he was able to get mor evidence than me and we where even on heads (I belive).

4th (secret round, was only revealed right before the match)

Standard, Collect the Bounty

Guarded Treasue, Search the Ruins, Take one for the team, Recover Evidence, Public Demonstration

Went against TT, fully expecting Sniper Shenlong, so I took

Lady J with Badge, Swordfighter, Implacable

Francisco with Wade In, LLC

Peacekeeper with Debt

Death Marshal Recruiter with LLC

Investigator

Queller

Brutal Effigy

I was of course up against Shen with Misdirection, Wandering River Style and maybe something else

2 Snipers

Samurai

Emmissary with Shen Conflux

Shadow Effigy

Monk of low river

Peasant

Game was fast decided - I advanced in turn 1 behind a forest, he took the whole round to shoot mainly at the Peacekeeper, he put some shots into Lady J but not even remotely enough to stop her, she killed one sniper in turn 2 and had the others engaged.

I scored all but one round of Collect, had Recover Evidence which I got one point of and scored a full 3 on Search.

He had 2 points for public demo on Lady j and 2 more for Take on the Samurai, in addition to 1 point from Collect, which made the game a 7:5 for me.

5th

Corner, Symbols of Authority

Punish the Weak, Dig their Graves, Show of Force, Search the Ruins, Take Prisoner

Last game I was up against a Kirai with my McCabe

He had:

Kirai with some Upgrades I barely remember, sorry

Phillip and the Nanny

Carrion Emmissary with My little Helper

Lost Love

Flesh Construct

Datsue Ba

maybe something else I can`t remember, sorry again

I took McCabe as he was my only master left

McCabe with Loot Bag (Badge of Speed), Promises, Cloak of Invisibility

Francisco with Wade In, Debt

Phiona with Transparency, Debt

Judge with Debt, LLC

Queller

Investigator

Watcher

I took Show of Force and Punish the Weak, he had Take Prisoner on the Judge and Search

First turn he pinned me in my deployment zone with double shards, and followed with models the following turns, while he took my Symbols with his superior mobility.

I think I lost the game because I went for one of his symbols instead of defending my remaining Marker with my whole crew, which would`ve been a 2 point swing and could`ve brought me a draw, if not the win.

I scored 6 from my schemes but lost completely on the Strat, he had 4 from the strat, 3 for Search and only 2 for Take Prisoner as I kept all my models clumped together at the end of the game - 6:9 loss.

All that together made me 18th out of 44 players, with a +1 Diff. overall^^

It was a great experience and I even got to play against 3 members of this years US ITC team, so I consider this training for the end of the month ;) 

Iron Scorpius was a great idea and changed the flow of the tournament quite a bit, will think about how to implement something like that in future local tournaments at our place.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Tris said:

Great work.  It sounds like despite the Scorpius, you were more often than not facing each factions most powerful master (Shen, Nico, Deep).  And though I'm not a fan of the Fk, Von schill and co can be really tough for sonnia due to all the immune to blasts, so that was a rough matchup too.  I'd say that is a nice result. 

After a few days to rest and recover, it's time to tell my tale of the quest for the Iron Scorpius!

Game 1: Standard Ply for Information, Surround Them, Set Up, Inescapable Trap, Show of Force, Vendetta

Nellie (delegation, embedded, misleading headlines), Printing Press, McTavish (debt, numb to the world), Sue (debt), Envy (debt), 2 Monster Hunters

Pandora, Barbaros, Doppelganger, Lelu, Lilitu, Sorrow, Insidious Madness, upgrades (i might be missing a model)

A wagon near the center helped provide cover for my enforcers and McTavish to hold the center of the table for three Show of Force points, even though Sue and Envy died by the end.  Anita (a Monster Hunter) killed Lelu for three Vendetta points.  He went for Set Up and went for Show of Force, I won Ply every round, which cemented the win for me.  I really liked this build: three tough models in the center backed up by Nellie, with hunters acting as support. 

Final Score: 9-5

Game 2: Corner Squatter's Rights, Eliminate the Leadership, Covert Breakthrough, Dig Their Graves, Set Up, Take Prisoner

Lucius (surprisingly loyal, deep pockets, condescending), The Scribe, Francisco Ortega (wade in, debt), The Jury (numb), Ferdinand Vogel, 2 Monster Hunters, Guild Lawyer

Ramos (arcane reservoir, vox populi,?), Joss (imbue energies,?) Carlos Vasquez (practiced production, stunt double), Cojo, Medical Automaton, Performer, Medical Toolkit (might be missing a model)

The Arcanists did a perfect job of holding all the Squatters markers, though I was able to flip several to my side for Guild Intelligence (three out of four points). He had three models capable of eating scheme markers (performer, Cojo, a summoned arachnid swarm), so I was never going to get a lot of Set Up points on Carlos.  I made a movement mistake in the last round which made it easy for him to score three for Covert Breakthrough.  I was never able to Take the Performer Prisoner.  I shouldn't pick a model that stays so far back, Carlos or Cojo probably would be better choices, since they are coming at me. I REALLY should have taken Dig Their Graves and taken Phiona instead of the Jury, all those spiders were potential VP for me.

Final Score: 4-10

Game 3: Flank Headhunter, Eliminate the Leadership, Hold Up Their Forces, Take One for the Team, Recover Evidence, Vendetta

Lady Justice (swordfighter, badge of office), the Scales, Francisco (wade in, debt), The Jury (numb), Death Marshal Recruiter (lead lined coat), Domedor de Cadavers (lead lined coat), Rotten Belle, Brutal Effigy

Yan Lo (awakening, follow their footsteps), Soul Porter, Izamu, 2 Goryo, Sensei Yu, Shadow Effigy, a monk of some sort. 

This was a very cagey and close match.  Yan Lo and his crew spent most of the game hiding behind a house, then they rushed me as I approached the center.  The Jury scored two points for being the Take One target, and I scored two more from Vendetta (belle vs. Izamu).  A goryo picked up three points for killing Francisco (his Vendetta target) and he scored one for Eliminate on Lady Justice.  The battle came down to picking up heads, and my opponent grabbed one more head than I did.  I had to bail Lady J out and hide her the last two turns to keep him from getting any more points off her.

Final Score: 5-6

Day 1 was a little disappointing, but we went to a great brewery with cider on tap so all ended well!

Game 4 (the mystery round!): Standard Collect the Bounty, Guarded Treasure, Search the Ruins, Take One for the Team, Recover Evidence, Public Demonstration

Sonnia Crid (counterspell aura, cheruff's imprint, no more masks), Malifaux Child, Francisco (wade in, hermanos de armas), Papa Loco (numb), Guild Sergeant, Guild Investigator, Witchling Thrall, Brutal Effigy

Nicodem (circling buzzards, maniacal laugh, under taker), Malifaux Child, Phillip and the Nanny (corpse bloat), Sebastian (Those are not ours), Asura, Carrion Emissary, Desperate Mercenary, Rotton Belle

This game was against an old friend, a really good player, and a really hard list to boot!  He scored Collect on turns 2 and 4, I scored it on turn 3.  I scored full points for Guarded Treasure (the sergeant slinging scheme markers around was instrumental for this) and he scored two points when I killed his sucker (Asura).  The MVP of the game was my Guild Investigator for Flashing the Badge and nullifying one of his scheme markers which shut down Search the Ruins for him.  Had the game gone on longer, he would have put more markers down and won.  Unfortunately for him, we ran out of  time.

Final Score: 4-4

Game 5: Corner Symbols of Authority, Punish the Weak, Dig Their Graves, Show of Force, Search the Ruins

Perdita (trick shooting, shooting cans, fastest draw in malifaux), Enslaved Nephilim, Francisco (wade in, debt), The Jury (numb), Abuela Ortega, 2 Monster Hunters, Brutal Effigy

Somer Teeth Jones (dirty cheater, on your tip toes, do over), 2 Skeeters, Fingers, Taxidermist, Lightning Bug, 2 Wild Boars, Lucky Effigy

I sent all of my crew up one flank towards his Symbols, leaving a monster hunter to square off against a boar.  One Red Joker later, the boar was free to start flipping Symbols.  Somer did something like 40 pts of damage over five shots this game (including a Red Joker on one) which blasted a lot of my models and put me on the defensive.  The gremlins easily scored Show of Force and Search the Ruins.  I tried like hell to score Take Prisoner on his Effigy, but ran out of models by the end.  Perdita died on turn 4, just before I was going to start shooting his Scheme markers.  I did Punish the Weak (a lot ;) ) and flipped one of his Symbols, but it was a big loss for me.  Lucky cards aside, the game would have really been different if I had gone for Show of Force instead of Take Prisoner.  I'd be committing more models to the center to kills his, and make it harder for him to put Scheme markers down.  That one choice would have made the game very different.  Full props to my opponent though!

Well, I was aiming for Best Guild and I missed the target (hell, I missed the barn!)  I scored 4 TP, -9 diff, and 34th out of 42 players.  I had a lot of fun though, and I got to meet Tristan in person and talk about the Guild with him, so that was great!

• Like 6

2 hours ago, jchrisobrien said:

After a few days to rest and recover, it's time to tell my tale of the quest for the Iron Scorpius!

Game 1: Standard Ply for Information, Surround Them, Set Up, Inescapable Trap, Show of Force, Vendetta

Nellie (delegation, embedded, misleading headlines), Printing Press, McTavish (debt, numb to the world), Sue (debt), Envy (debt), 2 Monster Hunters

Pandora, Barbaros, Doppelganger, Lelu, Lilitu, Sorrow, Insidious Madness, upgrades (i might be missing a model)

A wagon near the center helped provide cover for my enforcers and McTavish to hold the center of the table for three Show of Force points, even though Sue and Envy died by the end.  Anita (a Monster Hunter) killed Lelu for three Vendetta points.  He went for Set Up and went for Show of Force, I won Ply every round, which cemented the win for me.  I really liked this build: three tough models in the center backed up by Nellie, with hunters acting as support. 

Final Score: 9-5

Game 2: Corner Squatter's Rights, Eliminate the Leadership, Covert Breakthrough, Dig Their Graves, Set Up, Take Prisoner

Lucius (surprisingly loyal, deep pockets, condescending), The Scribe, Francisco Ortega (wade in, debt), The Jury (numb), Ferdinand Vogel, 2 Monster Hunters, Guild Lawyer

Ramos (arcane reservoir, vox populi,?), Joss (imbue energies,?) Carlos Vasquez (practiced production, stunt double), Cojo, Medical Automaton, Performer, Medical Toolkit (might be missing a model)

The Arcanists did a perfect job of holding all the Squatters markers, though I was able to flip several to my side for Guild Intelligence (three out of four points). He had three models capable of eating scheme markers (performer, Cojo, a summoned arachnid swarm), so I was never going to get a lot of Set Up points on Carlos.  I made a movement mistake in the last round which made it easy for him to score three for Covert Breakthrough.  I was never able to Take the Performer Prisoner.  I shouldn't pick a model that stays so far back, Carlos or Cojo probably would be better choices, since they are coming at me. I REALLY should have taken Dig Their Graves and taken Phiona instead of the Jury, all those spiders were potential VP for me.

Game 3: Flank Headhunter, Eliminate the Leadership, Hold Up Their Forces, Take One for the Team, Recover Evidence, Vendetta

Lady Justice (swordfighter, badge of office), the Scales, Francisco (wade in, debt), The Jury (numb), Death Marshal Recruiter (lead lined coat), Domedor de Cadavers (lead lined coat), Rotten Belle, Brutal Effigy

Yan Lo (awakening, follow their footsteps), Soul Porter, Izamu, 2 Goryo, Sensei Yu, Shadow Effigy, a monk of some sort. 

This was a very cagey and close match.  Yan Lo and his crew spent most of the game hiding behind a house, then they rushed me as I approached the center.  The Jury scored two points for being the Take One target, and I scored two more from Vendetta (belle vs. Izamu).  A goryo picked up three points for killing Francisco (his Vendetta target) and he scored one for Eliminate on Lady Justice.  The battle came down to picking up heads, and my opponent grabbed one more head than I did.  I had to bail Lady J out and hide her the last two turns to keep him from getting any more points off her.

Final Score: 5-6

Day 1 was a little disappointing, but we went to a great brewery with cider on tap so all ended well!

Game 4 (the mystery round!): Standard Collect the Bounty, Guarded Treasure, Search the Ruins, Take One for the Team, Recover Evidence, Public Demonstration

Sonnia Crid (counterspell aura, cheruff's imprint, no more masks), Malifaux Child, Francisco (wade in, hermanos de armas), Papa Loco (numb), Guild Sergeant, Guild Investigator, Witchling Thrall, Brutal Effigy

Nicodem (circling buzzards, maniacal laugh, under taker), Malifaux Child, Phillip and the Nanny (corpse bloat), Sebastian (Those are not ours), Asura, Carrion Emissary, Desperate Mercenary, Rotton Belle

This game was against an old friend, a really good player, and a really hard list to boot!  He scored Collect on turns 2 and 4, I scored it on turn 3.  I scored full points for Guarded Treasure (the sergeant slinging scheme markers around was instrumental for this) and he scored two points when I killed his sucker (Asura).  The MVP of the game was my Guild Investigator for Flashing the Badge and nullifying one of his scheme markers which shut down Search the Ruins for him.  Had the game gone on longer, he would have put more markers down and won.  Unfortunately for him, we ran out of  time.

Final Score: 4-4

Game 5: Corner Symbols of Authority, Punish the Weak, Dig Their Graves, Show of Force, Search the Ruins

Perdita (trick shooting, shooting cans, fastest draw in malifaux), Enslaved Nephilim, Francisco (wade in, debt), The Jury (numb), Abuela Ortega, 2 Monster Hunters, Brutal Effigy

Somer Teeth Jones (dirty cheater, on your tip toes, do over), 2 Skeeters, Fingers, Taxidermist, Lightning Bug, 2 Wild Boars, Lucky Effigy

I sent all of my crew up one flank towards his Symbols, leaving a monster hunter to square off against a boar.  One Red Joker later, the boar was free to start flipping Symbols.  Somer did something like 40 pts of damage over five shots this game (including a Red Joker on one) which blasted a lot of my models and put me on the defensive.  The gremlins easily scored Show of Force and Search the Ruins.  I tried like hell to score Take Prisoner on his Effigy, but ran out of models by the end.  Perdita died on turn 4, just before I was going to start shooting his Scheme markers.  I did Punish the Weak (a lot ;) ) and flipped one of his Symbols, but it was a big loss for me.  Lucky cards aside, the game would have really been different if I had gone for Show of Force instead of Take Prisoner.  I'd be committing more models to the center to kills his, and make it harder for him to put Scheme markers down.  That one choice would have made the game very different.  Full props to my opponent though!

Well, I was aiming for Best Guild and I missed the target (hell, I missed the barn!)  I scored 4 TP, -9 diff, and 34th out of 42 players.  I had a lot of fun though, and I got to meet Tristan in person and talk about the Guild with him, so that was great!

Is there anything you feel you would have done differently list building wise, looking back on it?

Game 1:  Wouldn't make any changes, it worked fine.

Game 2: I would definitely remove the Jury and add Phiona with Transparency, to better score Dig Their Graves.  I haven't used Ferdinand much, but I think he could be very good.  I took the Jury to help out with Mask triggers, which didn't really come into play.  Ferdinand can hit very hard, but I could also swap him for Phiona and keep the Jury for three solid beaters.

Game 3: I wanted to go fishing with the belle (lure a model in for me to kill) but didn't end up doing it much.  I felt like I could use more CA attacks against him, but I didn't expect two Goryo in his list.  Two monster hunters here would be a better play: Run in Fear is a casting attack and would do three damage per hit to the Goryo.

Game 4: I've had the least amonut of practice with Sonnia and Lucius.  I really like the Guild Investigator and the Guild Sergenat together.  The sergeant can pick up a scheme marker the Investigator used and place in a new location to push another model!  Recover Evidence was a very bad scheme choice (I need to stop taking it), Take One for the Team would work much better or maybe Public Demonstration.

Game 5: I have no complaints about this Perdita crew, it's really tight.  The biggest mistake I made was in scheme selection.  I should gone with Show of Force over Take Prisoner.  Both of us going for show means more models in the center of the table to fight.  If both of us are going for Show, that leads to a big fight in the middle and neither Fingers nor the Taxidermist are great fighters.  More of my models in the middle also makes it harder for him to score Search, and I had Shooting Cans to shut that scheme down... had Perdita lived.

• Like 3