Mei Feng: buying more stuff than the box?

Franchute

Today I bought Mei Feng's box. Clearly, this is @Lokibri's fault, not mine :) 

What stuff really shines with her? Do you really need the other Foundry minis to make her work? Or would I be ok with the M&SU stuff I have?

I already own the metal gamins and Miss Fire (yet to assemble). Do you use Sparks/prokchop/Rail golem (which I dont have)? I am not completely convinced on them to be honest.

I already own a big chunk of the faction: all master boxes (but Colette), all the M&SU stuff (except for gunsmiths and union miners), the mech rider and several other in faction models.

• Like 2

Since the pork chop came out I don't think I've run Mei without it. It's a great jumping off point for not only Mei but other models for the :+flipflips. Also, it's a 6ss construct with a 50mm base that drops a scrap marker once per turn after a walk. So, any turn, even if it's just walking twice, it's giving Mei about 14" of railwalk, and :+flipflips to her and/or other friendly models charging from nearby.

• Thanks 1

I personally think Sparks is amazing with her.  He can make her a construct and give her fast or make something else a construct and give her a point to jump to if needed.  He can make enemies explode with Blasts if mod or severe damage is done with a trigger to give the model Burning +1... Which combos so well with Mei's attacks because she gets +'s to damage vs Burning models. 

The PorkChop just helps keep the steady flow of Scrap Markers going for free.  You can bring the Steamfitter along but it's a steep cost of 2 cards for a Scrap marker and Mei HURTS for cards.  She is too suit dependent to make anything happen but one of her wave 5 upgrades helps with that a bit. 

Rail Golem is still a hard sell for me.  That Ml 5 just means that some of your attacks are gonna miss not matter how many 13's you flip. 

I usually bring Carlos and Anna as those models allow her to see more cards, get Burning on models and Anna doesn't randomize into Ml with sweet, sweet 3 min Damage that might just possibly summon a Seishin.  Oh, and if you get the other trigger for Horror duels, Mei doesn't care!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Franchute said:

Today I bought Mei Feng's box. Clearly, this is @Lokibri's fault, not mine :) 

What stuff really shines with her? Do you really need the other Foundry minis to make her work? Or would I be ok with the M&SU stuff I have?

I already own the metal gamins and Miss Fire (yet to assemble). Do you use Sparks/prokchop/Rail golem (which I dont have)? I am not completely convinced on them to be honest.

I already own a big chunk of the faction: all master boxes (but Colette), all the M&SU stuff (except for gunsmiths and union miners), the mech rider and several other in faction models.

I am ... Sry?! :-).

I would highly recommend porkchop in any case!

Sparks is a bit difficult. He is a very controlling model and helps buffing, but is not as punchy like some premium constructs from the arcanists.

Raily was underwhelming for me till now, because he is so card hungry. But with sparks armor 3 and meis new upgrade to bring him with her, he can wreck havoc amongst the enemy. I still have to play him more often.

Anyway, sure buy iy the porkchop. The others are not necessary but can be good.

• Thanks 1

Do you already own Large Arachnids, @Franchute? If so, they could be fun to try in the meantime, while you decide whether or not to add Foundry models.

You could also try out Howard Langston with Powered By Flame. Joss with Bleeding Edge Tech could be useful for giving more staying power to Minions if taking Metal/Fire Gamin and/or Rail Workers.

Could an Ice Golem toss a Metal/Fire Gamin to which Mei could then Railwalk?

Just trying to think of some uses for models you might already own from Kaeris, Ramos and Rasputina's boxes.

The Effigy isn’t bad with her. Arcane Radiance lets her deal buring on the first attack she lands to get plus flips to damage on any Tiger Claw attacks she follows up with.

I haven’t tried it with her yet but the Medical Automaton should be good with her as well. Its ability to heal and move other models out of the way of attacks is nice but having it use its 0 action to place in base contact with a friendly model and then having it walk forward could setup some nice Railwalks for Mei. 

You may want to look at Angelica or The Captain as well. I’ve found that the Railworkers can really hit above their weight if you can get them where they need to be.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, katadder said:

One thing to note from above, sparks cannot make your leader fast.

I tend to use her box plus joss, arcane effigy and Willie 

It does say non-leader, doesn't it? Lol.

Still though, giving fast as a zero action is strong.  Especially when you can make something a construct and get the trigger to take the action to give it fast. 

19 hours ago, Scatterbrain said:

Do you already own Large Arachnids, @Franchute

I do and they even are painted. I like them in some pools. I will certainly try Langston with one of the new upgrades (the one which allows you to take a model with Mei when she railworks).

I was mainly asking about potential miniatures to buy and which foundry models were worth their purchase. The posts above convinced me about the mech pig so I got one. Thanks a lot for your help.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Franchute said:

By the way, I have a stupid rules question about Mei. If you vent steam twice, do you put the opponent on double negative?

Malifaux stacking rules are a bit extravagant at times.  The short version, after listing the other interactions of Abilities and Conditions:

"All other effects in the game which are not Conditions always stack unless they state otherwise."

The Vent Steam action applies an unnamed effect, so it falls under the blanket rule.

• Thanks 1