Mei Feng Tactica.. ish

Good Afternoon Guys and Gals,

This is my first time writing a tactica of sorts so apologies for any disjointedness or anything that might be missed, but hopefully this gives an overall guide.

I am an experienced TT player but never picked up Mei Feng until recently as I was always told how bad she is in the UK. (don't want an argument over USA, UK or any other meta)

I recently had the opportunity to play her in a couple of fun games this post is my thoughts, first let’s look at my crew

Mei Feng

• Vapourmancy

• Misdirection

• Press the Advantage

Sparks

• The Peaceful Waters

Toshiro

• Command the Graves

Obsidian statue

• Smoke grenades

•  

Mechanized Pork chop

Rail worker

LRM

Pretty standard build to be honest, looking at the models in more depth

Mei Feng

Firstly, she is so much fun, i played her very defensively the fact she can bounce around so much I found her much more useful at being at coup de gras master where she can bounce from side to side killing already wounded models.

She can hire 4 foundry models out of faction with infiltration (foundry), is immune to slow and paralyze and has Armor and a trigger to push this model 5” in any direction. The DF trigger did confuse me at first as it’s a leap I would assume it would be a place or ignore intervening model and terrain.

She has her 2 attacks on her card, first one being tiger claws which is a 2” range 2/3/4 damage and trigger built in to give burning, to which this attack gain + flips to models with burning, the other Is Jack hammer kick this can be taken off the rail walker action it does 2/3/6 and she pushes into base contact even if it fails or is a disengaging strike, HELLO GREMLINS, with a trigger which gives all friendly models within P3 Armor +1. She can use Railwalker action to bounce around between scrap markers or friendly constructs to capture table quarters or to stop someone picking up a marker as she has a large engagement range.

Vent steam is her bread and butter though this puts all sh and casts attacks targeting models within aura 4 on - flips until her next activation. This can be very useful against a lot of crews and helps with playing her defensively.

Sparks

He is a foundry gremlin, I primarily took him to give out armour and make things constructs…. This was not as effective as I had hoped with Toshiro on the board I didn’t really need any more constructs it was nice making them fast though, where I really got value from him was with his ability that enemy models can’t target a model friendly to them with actions if they are within 8 of him and his attack action which gave models a condition that when suffering moderate or severe damage the would gain a blast. These seemed to be the most effective pieces on his card

Nice things though is that he can make something a construct which could help with Kang if its an enemy and gives Armor +1he has accomplice and a decent enough ml 6 attack

Toshiro the Daimyo

The TT summoner, this 1 and a half eyed gentleman is incredible but you already knew that, he can make any minion fast for an 8 with war fan or can give focused when discarding a nearby corpse. He is pretty survivable with df5 HTW +2 and as a henchman he can survive a little longer he gives all minions + flips to the attack flips of close combat (claw) actions if within 6”. With Mei Feng he works a treat, he can summon 3 models a turn if you can make him fast.

Komainu will be the main model you will be summoning with Mei Feng because of all the scrap.

Komainu are very good models for free they are HTK Armor +1 6 wounds (they will come in on 3) but can give slow or burning and get it built in if within 3” of a friendly ancestor model. They are ml 6 2/3/4 damage not bad! And can place in base contact with model within 3” and it doesn’t even require a flip.

Obsidian Statue

It’s a HT3 model its has a low DF of 3 but makes up for it a little bit with Armor +2, a really nice ability with Mei Feng is that when hit it drops a scrap marker in base contact with itself it also may drop a statue marker in base contact at the end of the activation which is blocking HT3 impassable and stops him from being moved pushed or placed by enemy models.

Offensively he is pretty good m6 min 3 damage and ca6 against WK at range, his zero actions allow him to either buff casters or heal based on the amount of scrap within 4 I personally used him as a scrap machine for Toshiro then healed him with LRM , I chose him over the emissary as I think he impacts my game plan more than the emissary. (but I’m sure everyone will tell me how I’m wrong😊)

Rail worker

Possibly one of the best 5ss minions that TT have he can drop a card for + flips on attack and damage turn 1 he can hit the statue for 2-3 scrap markers and later with his armor+1 and DF trigger to reduce all damage by an addition 2 they are quite sturdy and can hit quite hard

Mechanized pork chop

In a crew that finds scrap useful this model is not bad, DF6  6 wounds isn’t the highest but Armor +1 helps, the real benefit to this little piggy is that he sends everyone else to the market with + flips to the attack and they suffer 1 damage again generating  more scrap for the obsidian statue 

LRM

IT’S A LOW RIVER MONK, that is all…

It heals with triggers to drop markers, has a condition removal attack at ml 7, a staple in most TT crews

These are just my thoughts on Mei Feng please tell me how I’m wrong and how I’m right or what I haven’t even thought of.

• Like 1

Well she has a 2/4/5 damage track on the claws. You really should consider seismic claws to get her bouncing around.

Also to note is vent steam does stack so can really shut down some crews.

Bit of an odd crew choice I think there for your selection but then I play her as arcanist (in the UK meta) although I do have a TT crew planned for her

After several attempts at trying Toshiro in ANY crew I've found he's just wanting and in your list there's no beaty minions in the list, the + flips aren't that appealing. I would instead replace Tosh with Lazarus since you have both Mei and Sparks. Laz can steal Mei's railwalk or vent steam after Sparks makes her a construct and gives you some high damage in the crew. I would then take a charm warder to put disguised on him and keep him safe. 

I've ran Toshiro and Sparks in a few crews together and I find that there just isn't enough Scrap Markers for both of them to use each turn.  I feel that it's better to commit to either one or the other for the game.  Either way, I always bring one of them and the Obsidian Statue. 

Also, just to help out a little, over in the Arcanists forums we have tacticas on all our masters to include Mei Feng.  Perhaps by reading the ones over there might help out with the layout of tacticas in the TT section here.  The Ramos one has a really good layout that I like. Hope they help :D

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mrbedlam said:

After several attempts at trying Toshiro in ANY crew I've found he's just wanting and in your list there's no beaty minions in the list, the + flips aren't that appealing. I would instead replace Tosh with Lazarus since you have both Mei and Sparks. Laz can steal Mei's railwalk or vent steam after Sparks makes her a construct and gives you some high damage in the crew. I would then take a charm warder to put disguised on him and keep him safe. 

You take Toshiro because he's a near guaranteed 2 free Komainu and with that activations turn 1, and any 9+'s after that can easily turn into more if you want to. The fact that he then gives them :+flip's and built in slow/burning to top it off really makes him the biggest reason for me to even take Mei if you don't know whether you're up against something Sh/Ca-y. It's honestly the decent activation control he, the Emissary and Porkchop together give that lets Mei do anything other TT masters don't do better. 

thanks for all the replies

I have considered taking Kang or the emissary for sparks, my issue with the emissary is that people seem to take it with Mei Feng as it drops a scrap marker but the obsidian statue and porkchop do this anyway, I know it makes something fast but you are stil trading 1 ap for 1 ap where as Kang buffs the crew and gives me some hitting power

1 hour ago, Richard matthews said:

I have considered taking Kang or the emissary for sparks, my issue with the emissary is that people seem to take it with Mei Feng as it drops a scrap marker but the obsidian statue and porkchop do this anyway, I know it makes something fast but you are stil trading 1 ap for 1 ap where as Kang buffs the crew and gives me some hitting power

Couple of notes here:

1. The Emissary drops a scrap that is very easy to Rail walk to, which decreases your hand costs. Additionally, it's a push, which alleviates an issue the Shadow Emissary can run into - its moderate speed (since you usually cast or push another model). This is big. Echoes of power is also pretty good. 

2. If the enemy doesn't attack the statue (were they, for example, to tarpit it), you get no scraps. Plus, the statue wants to consume those scrap markers. 

3. It isn't entirely correct that you're trading 1 ap for 1 ap. You're pushing 4", that's worth around 1 AP, and then you're giving fast, which is another AP. So really you're one in the black (AP value depending on what you push of course). 

1 hour ago, Richard matthews said:

Well, it creates a scrap marker free of charge on a (0) that allows Mei to Railwalk to it using a 1+. My first activation with Mei tend to start with jumping to the Porkchop's marker and then the Emissary's marker for 1 AP and a 7+ and a 1+ for a total of about 10-12" of movement, and then you can just Vent Steam twice or w/e, after which Toshiro, who the Emissary pushes 4" and makes fast, can turn those leftover markers into two activations. Having that much more control over the markers and the fast/pushes is a huge boon, especially later on in battle, if you ever need Mei to jump somewhere specifically and fast. And alternatively, the Emissary can lower the Df of enemies with burning up to 2, which is especially nifty with a nicely timed Scalding Breath, and allows Mei an extra attack. 

And with that for 10(Emissary)+10(Toshiro+Command)+6(Porkchop)+4(LRM)+3(Emberling)+4(Mei's Upgrades) you have 8 activations for 37 SS, if you even want the LRM or Emberling.

13 minutes ago, DonCheadle said:

Couple of notes here:

1. The Emissary drops a scrap that is very easy to Rail walk to, which decreases your hand costs. Additionally, it's a push, which alleviates an issue the Shadow Emissary can run into - its moderate speed (since you usually cast or push another model). This is big. Echoes of power is also pretty good. 

2. If the enemy doesn't attack the statue (were they, for example, to tarpit it), you get no scraps. Plus, the statue wants to consume those scrap markers. 

3. It isn't entirely correct that you're trading 1 ap for 1 ap. You're pushing 4", that's worth around 1 AP, and then you're giving fast, which is another AP. So really you're one in the black (AP value depending on what you push of course). 

1 isn't really an issue as I play quite defensive so im not usually spending cards turn 1 other then to summon  

2 I normally use my model to hit the statue then heal him with LRM to get 2 komainu a turn,

3 the push and fast is good but with him the statue is my only real hitting power the rail worker can do a bit of damage but kang is ml7 min 3 which is a lot more consistent damage output.

32 minutes ago, Tokapondora said:

Well, it creates a scrap marker free of charge on a (0) that allows Mei to Railwalk to it using a 1+. My first activation with Mei tend to start with jumping to the Porkchop's marker and then the Emissary's marker for 1 AP and a 7+ and a 1+ for a total of about 10-12" of movement, and then you can just Vent Steam twice or w/e, after which Toshiro, who the Emissary pushes 4" and makes fast, can turn those leftover markers into two activations. Having that much more control over the markers and the fast/pushes is a huge boon, especially later on in battle, if you ever need Mei to jump somewhere specifically and fast. And alternatively, the Emissary can lower the Df of enemies with burning up to 2, which is especially nifty with a nicely timed Scalding Breath, and allows Mei an extra attack. 

And with that for 10(Emissary)+10(Toshiro+Command)+6(Porkchop)+4(LRM)+3(Emberling)+4(Mei's Upgrades) you have 8 activations for 37 SS, if you even want the LRM or Emberling.

Just so you're aware i believe it was FAQ'd to say if Mei railwalks to the Emmisarys Scrap Marker, it vanishes

13 minutes ago, Richard matthews said:

1 isn't really an issue as I play quite defensive so im not usually spending cards turn 1 other then to summon  

2 I normally use my model to hit the statue then heal him with LRM to get 2 komainu a turn,

3 the push and fast is good but with him the statue is my only real hitting power the rail worker can do a bit of damage but kang is ml7 min 3 which is a lot more consistent damage output.

I thought the statue only dropped scrap when it was damaged by an enemy attack action?

• Agree 1

The base team I play with :
Leader: Mei Feng - Cache:(3)
   Recalled Training 1ss 
   Vapormancy 1ss 
   Misdirection 2ss 
Toshiro The Daimyo 9ss 
   Command the Graves 1ss 
   The Peaceful Waters 0ss 
Shadow Emissary 10ss 
   Conflux of Combat 0ss 
Mechanized Porkchop 6ss 
Monk of Low River 4ss 
That is already 34 points, but I like to have at least 5-6 Soulstone for Toshiro to summon and Mei's df trigger. So I still have a few spare points.
I'd say Mei in TT is only viable because of Toshiro, recalled training and misdirection
Misdirection is the most fun part of Mei : Run into enemy crew spend ss for mask while Dfing and laugh :)

54 minutes ago, Richard matthews said:

The Statue only drops scrap markers when damaged by enemy models, as @Stewbert has correctly stated.

And the Emissary has a very good damaging ability in being able to use his cast on double focus. Likewise, I'm not arguing that your choices are off, I'm just trying to clear up any inconsistencies. 

I haven't actually played Mei in soo, soo long, but I actually wouldn't mind getting back into the rail crew.  I was kind of thinking something a bit similar to the OP crew wise.

Here's kind of a basic list to mess around with:

Declared Faction: TenThunders 
Crew Name: Mei 50ss 
Leader: Mei Feng - Cache: (3+1=4)
   Seismic Claws 1ss 
   Vapormancy 1ss 
   On Wings of Wind 2ss 
Kang 9ss 
   Hard Worker 1ss 
Toshiro The Daimyo 9ss 
   Command the Graves 1ss 
   The Peaceful Waters 0ss 
Obsidian Statue 9ss 
   Equality 1ss 
Mechanized Porkchop 6ss 
Charm Warder 5ss 
Monk of Low River 4ss 

The thing I like about it is the amout of + flips it can generate between Kang & the Porkchop.  The Statue ups Mei's Scalding Breath (& Charm Warder's Chi Blade) attack to 3/4/5 with blasts, which is really nice (actually thinking about dropping Seismic claws for Recalled Training so she can really go to town for a turn).  With Wings, she can give Kang a push first turn which he really needs plus,get out of dodge at the end of the turn (maybe with disguise from Charm Warder as well). Mei, Kang & Porkchop can ignore armour (something 10t struggle with) & HtW for a (0) & a card thanks to Hard Worker. Toshiro & Monk do what they do...  & most importantly, it looks really fun to play!

3 hours ago, DonCheadle said:

The Statue only drops scrap markers when damaged by enemy models, as @Stewbert has correctly stated.

And the Emissary has a very good damaging ability in being able to use his cast on double focus. Likewise, I'm not arguing that your choices are off, I'm just trying to clear up any inconsistencies. 

ah ok didn't spot this thanks didn't want to do this at a tournament

I've been doing some Mei this year.  I have been experimenting a lot mostly at lower point games so probably not great advice but I'll throw in some thoughts.  Toshiro is a must with Command.  Porkchop as well outside of those 2 I have tried some others.  I dont think I am hurting for scrap marker generation.  I had 2 Komainu and picked up 2 more boxes after 1 game alone that did not include an emissary.  I think for the points the Emberling is enough as. 2nd early scrap marker source.  I really like the Obsidian Oni, again scrap generator with a heal.  Sniper too just the pressure these guys put on is great.  RWs are maybe my favorite model moderate of 4 and a 0 that can get you there, the most under rated model in the game.  Bunraku too a construct that is hard to hit amd has a mini lure.  I want to try out Willie still 6pts for the toolkit he brings is pretty good.

• 1 month later...
On 7/3/2018 at 2:30 PM, green-n-dumb said:

Hello.
I have a Sparks and Mechporky and long time looking on Mei Feng.
She's like only master i visualy like outside of gremlins.
What faction better suits her? Is there any budget way to build her?
What models you are considering as must have?

She gets played so little that its hard to say what her real core options are. In Thunders I almost always take a porkchop, weasel, and some sort of beater. Lazarus, Izamu, Obsidian Statue.  These are all models she can tow around with Rail lines and get up the board quicker than they normally would.

The problem you will run into with Mei is that she needs cards in hand to do what she needs to do,  so you need to find models that work with her that don't drop cards often as she doesn't have that much access to card draw. That and to remember that she isn't a beater master. Anything with damage reduction or Soul stone use is gonna laugh at her trying to kick them.

• Like 1

Unless I am missing something I don't see how Izamu helps her rail walking at all.  I am still learning Mei and I haven't played much recently but it seems to be all about the AP advantage with her.  Toshiro with Porkchop, another scrap producer I like the emberling, I like Chiaki.  Make lots of Komianu have Chiaku remove slow and heal have her slow enemies.  By end of turn turn 2 you have 4 robo pups on the table that are annoying and harassing your enemy, giving them slow, taking a good amount of AP to take down because of their defensed.  Using their tactical to tie up targets.

48 minutes ago, Hargus56 said:

Unless I am missing something I don't see how Izamu helps her rail walking at all. 

He's not helping her, she's helping him. One of her new upgrades lets her bring a friend along on a rail walk so she can get a normally slow model like Izamu to where he needs to be.

• Like 1