Monthly painting challenge - May

Franchute

Thanks to all who have wished me luck! Here's a quick WIP of my big month so far. I'm pretty happy after a week of focused work, in time for my friend to visit this weekend. His stuff's not done, but it's enough to be discernable on the table as he tests them out.

20180504_084102.jpg.007a85decf27999dba1019c20a05a33d.jpg

Thoughts?

• Like 3

Hi all,

Im aiming to finish my supplywagon token/scenery/display board piece, Ulix and a Swine Cursed that I started yesterday for this month

3_ADED78_B_359_C_492_C_9_CC6_F87975_E632

And Penelope (can’t even begin to try getting photo correct way up)

Edited by Rikk
And Penelope
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Rikk said:

Sorry should have added as cost

A this point, the cost is not necessary. It's just for the actually painted minis to help me enter the number into the spreadsheet.

By the way, my Rasputina for 15ss. The style of base is the one I have been using for the rest of my miniatures. I'll probably add some snow later on:

IMG_5870_zpsst4cnh2h.jpg

• Like 8

First May model done, Vintage Sonnia for 15SS. Really tried to work the 'fire' theme, and my first attempt at wet blending. I think it came out well for a first shot! 

Now, on to the next! 

large.1002187902_VintageSonnia.jpg.88ae9

@Monkeyfist - I love your weaver, the pastels are amazing. She's on my docket for next month... now I have another high bar to aim for!

@Boomstick - That's a lot of plastic to paint ;) I'm intrigued to see how they all come out.

@Franchute - Your Raspy is beautiful. I really like her eyes, and that base is really nice.

@Caedrus - Simple they may be, but they still look great. I've got those in the docket down the road... should be an easy 18SS.

• Like 7

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to finish my pledge for March - Mr. Graves - yet, but I felt like I need something new and exciting and thus my pledge for this month is probably my most favorite model of all Malifaux - Mysterious Effigy :)

VXED1sR.jpg

I want to learn how to paint yellow colour (the dress), I would also like to paint the masks as if they were actual faces (I have painted only a single face - Iggy's - so far so that will be a challenge.) and Effigy's "skin" will probably be in the colour scheme inspired by some red/orange crab. The base will be a very simple one :)

• Like 3

Back from traveling and back to the fold 😀

....and thankyou to Wyrd for making so many models that I want most of them...

A quick glance at my work table gives me almost an overload of choices...so I think I will take a break on my Neverborn this month and work on some figures for my compagnera's future faction of choice - the filthy Ressers....so...two Goryo at 7SS each this month....they have been underway for way too long and need finishing...

I made the decision to build the ghosts seperately so that I could add them after painting....mwah hah hah !!....it seemed like a good idea at the time 😫😂...I'll post a photo of the seperate ghosts later today or tomorrow because I still have work to do on them whereas the Goryo bodies are maybe too far down the line for a WIP...I'll also post photos of the bases I have planned during their construction....hope that's ok with everyone 

• Like 1

An early WIP.... but only because they have been in WIP mode for too long already...if anyone wakes up in the night hearing an unearthly scream do not worry...it is not the undead...it will just be me trying to glue these onto the Goryo bodies

1653514540_FullSizeRender2_edited-1.jpg.4814908bae9594fe333e0c531360e1eb.jpg

• Like 9

I am pledging two Performers (at 5 SS each) and two mannequins (at 4 SS each) this month for a total of 18 SS. My plan is to pair a mannequin to a performer in terms of color scheme. I still need to come up with what those schemes will be, but I like the idea of two Performer / mannequin "teams"

0506182035.jpg

• Like 3

@Franchute Hi, thanks. Tournament went ok, I’m getting more familiar with Ulix and more confident with Ophelia, should try another master. 1 win and 3 lose but fun games all day. I’ve learnt that I don’t like Viks, Nekima, Barbaros and Lilith, actually I could make a bigger list. 

I definately need to finish painting a crew up as Gremlins can look very similar undercoated black so I’d like to be fairer for my opponent by them being identifiable so big push now for Ulix crew complete by month end.

• Like 1

Good thing I managed to snap the pictures for last month in time, because the delay I mentioned ended up taking a week longer. Anyways, I'm back and this month it's time to paint the man, the legend, the guy who has been sitting on my painting table for nearly four years, Von Schill! (So may pledge is Von Schill for 15 ss)

May_Pledge_Edited.jpg

• Like 3

painterschallengewip_may2018.jpg

Hooded Rider was a lot of pain to assemble. Each of the snakes forming the mount's mane needed to be cleaned from the mold line and bent into shape separately. It was tricky as metal elements won't bend back and forth too many times and after a few twists they can easily snap. As you can see in the picture, there were some major areas that needed to be filled with Green Stuff prior to painting. I started with regular GS and when it was dry, I used liquid GS to smooth the edges of the areas that had been filled in. After that I used Typhus Corrosion (a special technical paint) that added some extra grainy texture to otherwise flat areas. And that's it for now, I will take side by side pictures of metal and plastic versions once they're ready (they should be before the end of the month).

• Like 7

@Franchute, it usualy takes me the whole month or more to finish a single miniature, but this time I have been painting basicaly three days straight :D (it was very relaxing :)) and, which is probably even more improtant, I decided to just paint and have fun instead of trying to achieve "perfection" :)

• Like 2