Lucky Emissary: Reworking the Hat

SAYNE

Like many other players (with an objectively high sense of taste), I love the Lucky Emissary model. I, like many other Gremlin players, tend to look at it a bit sadly however in direct comparison to certain other Emissaries and it's seeming lack of purpose on the battlefield. Rather than post a long and lengthy description of why I feel it's a solid B- in a faction full of C's and A+, I've decided to throw my potential fix to the wind with enough hot air to make it fly.

Before the idea however, a tiny conundrum; what embodies the Gremlin faction? There are a few philosophies, but most boil down to: AP efficiency, Low cost models, Fragility in wound count, and a certain degree of unpredictability or "randomness". The Lucky Emissary has a little bit of AP efficiency in it's occasional free push, and a bit of unpredictability in it's "Reach into the Hat..." ability. One important distinction between the Hat ability and the other randomness though, is the other randomness found on other models usually has a Great option, two middling options, and a bad option. Or simply put, more Oomph in the chance. Meanwhile, the Hat ability seems... fairly tame for an option that can usually only be used once, MAYBE twice per game. Hence, the idea for my potential "what if?" scenario, a completely redesigned Hat ability that still maintains the fairly iconic unpredictability with more power in it's chance.

Firstly, the ability already starts at a disadvantage from the get go, requiring multiple friendly models to live to the at least 3rd turn for this ability to even function. As it currently states, if you are losing the game (not horrendously of course), you already should only have a portion of your original models still intact, and their placement will likely not be ideal. This leads to many of the current possible bonuses applied either moot (a fast skeeter... cool? Or Nice I healed my already full health Bayou Gremlin on the outskirt for 2... while Burt is sitting at 1 wound center table; you get the idea) or relying on that chance for an effect that might help. If you're already winning the game, where you have most of your models by turn 3, the opponents models are likely already dwindling, and any buff you apply is just overkill at that point, you might as well keep the regeneration. It becomes a "win-more" mechanic and myself and many others have a poor impression of these abilities in the first place.

To make the ability more universally applicable, it should instead affect enemies within LoS with a full new loadout of similar effects. Depending on the strength of these effects during playtesting there may be other checks in place, such as range, or a duel to resist. This ensures that if you are losing the game, and your opponent has more remaining models than you, you can "catch-up" by evening the odds by potentially inflicting damage, or a negative status ailment, or something of that ilk. And if you are winning, we'll you're already winning and there are less enemies then for you to disrupt.

Secondly, I believe there should be 3 triggers rather than 4 (I'll touch on why in a moment). Similar to what we currently have but reversed for enemy interaction so: A Ram for Slow. A Crow can deal 2 damage, ignoring reduction (it's only 2 damage). A Mask can be exactly the same, place within 4" or if that's too powerful 3". The Tome option has always been the most situational and hence why I feel it should be changed entirely.

Thirdly, add in the final 4th trigger on Tomes to each conflux (including the general), for a more Master specific ability. For example: Ulix: "All enemy models may make a Ml attack action against this model if able."  Powerful? Absolutely, but it's the kinda Oomph this model needed with synergy to boot. Now of course, this can still affect a model all the way in your opponents backfield so it's less satisfying in that regard, but the potential it brings outweighs the risk, and the chance of something else universally useful happening is high.

Ulix: "All enemy models may make a (1) Ml attack action against this target if able."

Ophelia: "This model receives a :-flipto DF for :rangedactions taken against it for this turn."

Somer: "This model discards a card for each other model with 3'"

Zipp: "This model counts as Ht1 until the end of the turn."

Mah: "The opponent draws a card for each enemy model within 3'"

Brewmaster: "This model receives a :-flipto all WP duels until the end of turn."

Wong: "Every enemy model in range may make a (1) Ca action targeting this model if able."

Zoraida: "This model takes a 1 AP action chosen by the opponent"

Thank you for your time slogging through this! I hope it was entertaining at least!

Give me your thoughts, comments, concerns, commendations, job openings, cake, feedback, criticism, restraining orders below!

• Like 2