neonblunt

Question

Hi guys,

quite knew to Malifaux, so maybe you could help me out with my two noob questions:

Scenario - 1'' ht Elevation

I stumbled across the elevation rules for LoS, see the attached picture.

To my understanding there is line of sight between the left model (ht 3'') and the target model. But there seems to be no line of sight between the right model - The blocking object's height is NOT lower than the attacker or target's height. Even though you would think otherwise as both attackers practically reach the same height level.

Therefore it seems like the 1'' ht elevation of the right model gets totally ignored for LoS, correct? Or do people actually measure from ground level instead?

Scenario B - Elevated Markers

When a marker gets placed on a small obstacle (ht 1'') like in the picture attached - What are my options on interacting with that marker? I assume models cannot interact from ground level, even with base contact to the obstacle. So to my understanding it is mandatory to climb up, stand on the marker to provide actual base contact and then interact, right?

elevation.jpg

Marker.PNG

8 answers to this question

Your understanding of the first scenario is correct. You don't add the Ht of the object to the Ht of the model standing on it for purposes of LoS, and the Vantage Point rules only kick in at Ht2 and above. It's one of those really weird rules but that's how it is.

And for your second question, if you have to be in base contact with the marker, your base has to be physically touching the marker, so you'd have to climb up onto the piece of terrain if that's what it took to touch it. If you're setting up and marker is going to be perched on top of terrain, it's probably best practice to shift the terrain around a little bit unless the top is pretty accessible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, WWHSD said:

Ht 1 elevation is odd because it only matters for close attacks. The vantage point rules require that terrain be Ht 2 before they come into play.

Assuming the model isn't hanging off the terrain, Ht 1 stuff can still grant cover and the like technically.  Drawing LoS from elswhere to the target will very likely cross the Ht 1 terrain, so cover rules would apply.

More amusingly, two models standing on the same bit of Ht 1 terrain shooting at eachother will likely both get cover from the other.

1 minute ago, Clement said:

Assuming the model isn't hanging off the terrain, Ht 1 stuff can still grant cover and the like technically.  Drawing LoS from elswhere to the target will very likely cross the Ht 1 terrain, so cover rules would apply.

More amusingly, two models standing on the same bit of Ht 1 terrain shooting at eachother will likely both get cover from the other.

Even more amusingly, two Ht1 models standing on Ht1 terrain do not have LoS to each other. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, solkan said:

You say that like it somehow works differently than two Ht2 models standing on the same Ht3 rooftop trying to draw line of sight to each other.

I had meant 2 Ht1 models standing on different pieces of Ht1 terrain. 

If the vantage point rules were in effect for the Ht2 models on the same Ht3 rooftop, wouldn't measuring diagonally allow them to see each other?