Funny Stories or Fatemaster Headaches

Parker Barrows

I'm surprised there wasn't one for these (or at least in the latest 10 pages). One of my players started a campaign and I finally get to plat TTB as a player.

I made a Bully and picked the "Nothing Personal, Friend" Trigger for Intimidate. NOTE: Paraphrasing, not direct quotes.

Me: I take 2 Walk actions to get close and then use Terrorize.

FM: OK. Now the Gang Lead...

Me: Hey, wait. I got my trigger.

FM: OK? It fails. You're Terrorizing him.

Me: But it says I get a flip. I should get a chance.

FM: With your -1 Charisma and no Bewitch? Sure.

*I flip a 13*

FM: ........ OK. *pained look in his face* He's scared of the man with the giant hammer approaching him, but he understands that he brought this on himself.

Next turn: I do 16 damage (my Rail Hammer is enlarged giving me 8 Severe Damage) and (I assume) got the amputation Crit Effect to his head.

FM: As you slam your hammer down, he nods his head letting you know that he is accepting with what is happening and doesn't hold anything against you.

As the one who has been Fatemastering for a couple of years now, I have to say that it is nice being on this side of the table.

One or my players greatest hits?

A cult formed in Innocence worshipping the Nameless Tyrant. The mayor (a Fated who won through manipulation and raising a riot against the former mayor for the only crime he didn't commit) managed to convince the cult that the (Master-level) leader was in fact two Gremlins in a trench coat which led to the cult turning on itself and pretty much annihilating itself with only  a couple of survivors.

Why was this so great? Because the mayor is two Gremlins in a trench coat.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

While running In Defense of Innocence relatively recently, my players held a rally using a political candidate as a figure head and ended up convincing the entire town to form an angry mob to go out into the desert to hunt the nephilim raiding the town. What the players didn’t realize is that there was more than 2 nephhilim and something closer to a hundred. Needless to say, the players quickly realized their mistake.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My players have a none-too-bright beatstick character in our current campaign, and I'm running them through "Night in Rottenburg". Due to a bit of unexpected exploration and improvisation, the Fated found themselves inside one of Barrone's topside labs populated with failed experiments. Towards the back of the room I described an elaborate set of beakers, tubes and refining equipment. The Beatstick, acting true to form, decided to punch the chemistry kit instead of investigating, thus setting off a massive Nitro glycerin fueled explosion that leveled the building they were in and almost dying in the process (but suffered no permanent effects).

Thinking back, I really should have been a bit more severe with the repercussions. Nothing says "Hey, maybe don't punch random test tubes again" like having half your upper torso blown off.

• Like 2

I recently was the FM in a campaign that had a player whose character was a copycat, and the backstory was that she grew up in the woods, and tried to fit in by copying others. We also had a character who was a forgotten, and had access to the forget magia. 

The whole party got arrested for stealing food from the rulers personal kitchen, and was brought in for judgement. The moment before they enter the room, our forgotten makes the guards forget why they were arrested. And then the copycat makes a successful Deceive duel (WITH the fucking tomes trigger!!!) against the ruler, making her believe that she was her long lost sister.

So our copycat goes from a savage from the woods, to being a noble lady... 

Totally didn't screw up my plan, I promise xD

Edited by Qualvanda
Spelling mistake
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Qualvanda said:

I recently was the FM in a campaign that had a player whose character was a copycat, and the backstop was that she grew up in the woods, and tried to fit in by copying others. We also had a character who was a forgotten, and had access to the forget magia. 

The whole party got arrested for stealing food from the rulers personal kitchen, and was brought in for judgement. The moment before they enter the room, our forgotten makes the guards forget why they were arrested. And then the copycat makes a successful Deceive duel (WITH the fucking tomes trigger!!!) against the ruler, making her believe that she was her long lost sister.

So our copycat goes from a savage from the woods, to being a noble lady... 

Totally didn't screw up my plan, I promise xD

Copycats and Deceive Triggers. So, so many times that just wrecks the adventure (in a fun way of course). I can't count the number of combats I have planned that our Copycat has managed to avoid or even recruit the enemy.

• Like 1