Help Me - Sick of loosing

NickDub

Hey Wyrdos, need some help.

Sick of loosing and have a game scheduled for tonight against a Ramos crew (most likely langston, joss, brass arach, metal gamin, rail worker)

Scheme/Strat were drawn up ahead of time as we are both semi new to the game:

Standard Deploy: Ply for Info, Surround Them, Covert Breakthrough, Set Up, Undercover Enterauge, Search the Ruins.

Declared Faction: Guild

Crew Name: Lady J 4/26/18 50ss

Leader: Lady Justice - Cache:(4)

Swordfighter 1ss

Justice Unleashed 1ss

Francisco Ortega 8ss

Wade In 1ss

A Debt To The Guild 1ss

The Judge 8ss

Unrelenting Leader 2ss

A Debt To The Guild 1ss

Death Marshal Recruiter 7ss

Brutal Effigy 4ss

Monster Hunter 6ss

Monster Hunter 6ss

Field Reporter 4ss

I have a decent amount of guild models ready (Masters = Sonnia, Lady J, Perdita. -----   Support = Most everything)

Any thoughts, comments, questions, concerns would be greatly appreciated! LEARN ME THE WAYS OF THE GUILD!!!!!!

My first thought is Francisco’s a dead man—too many positive attack flips incoming for Finesse to keep him safe. Know he will die early, adjust plan to match.

Drop a Debt for Dampening Field. Turn off Bleeding Edge Tech auras on Joss. Discard the upgrade altogether on the turn you pursue Ramos and make him unable to sacrifice spiders to heal (without running away first—he’ll probably try to magnetize push, walk until out of 8” no heal aura, then heal).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

If I were Ramos playing into Lady Justice, I would opt for Vox Populi and place hazardous terrain markers very close to Ramos, so that anyone charging in would have to step on at least one. Lady Justice would have to be very close to Ramos to be able to place within 4” and still avoid them. That’s not a common Ramos play, but the strike markers are to be respected. If he gets into a terrain bottleneck such that you must step on both, that’s not a good trade for anyone but Lady J. He’ll probably opt for Leviathan Power Core like everyone else on the planet, as well as the positive flips to construct attacks stapled to his card. Core isn’t bad, but VoxPop into Ply...if he makes your schemer a peon (other action of that upgrade), that’s denial of almost all possible points from this pool.

Nobody you have can punch through armor. You can bring in a queller to fix that, or task those who can attack more than twice an activation to whittling down Joss. (Ramos runs out of upgrade slots quickly; the construct heal will almost certainly not be present.) Howard Langston can, and should, die before Joss. You’re discarding cards for Swordfighter, for keeping guild marshals alive—what will you have to discard if he finds multiple rams?

• Like 1

May great points! 

I know I will be blowing through resources and was curious if I should make room for the totem to draw 2 more cards? Maybe replace a M.Hunter with totem + guild guard?

Also, I am sure he will try to alpha strike me with brass arachnid and langston rushing across board, will need to be cautious of that.

52 minutes ago, 4thstringer said:

I will say I think a queller could come in handy to deal with all that armor.  Also, Perdita could take the heat out of that alpha strike better than lj can.

I originally was leaning towards Perdita, Frank, Abuela, peacekeeper?,  schemers. Wouldn't need effigy so much so I could pivot to watchers for more movement? or another reporter

9 minutes ago, NickDub said:

I originally was leaning towards Perdita, Frank, Abuela, peacekeeper?,  schemers. Wouldn't need effigy so much so I could pivot to watchers for more movement? or another reporter

This was my initial thought.....

Declared Faction: Guild

Crew Name: Dita1 50ss

Leader: Perdita Ortega - Cache:(2)

Fastest Draw in Malifaux 1ss

Trick Shooting 2ss   

Francisco Ortega 8ss

Wade In 1ss

Abuela Ortega 7ss

A Debt To The Guild 1ss

Peacekeeper 11ss

A Debt To The Guild 1ss

Field Reporter 4ss

Monster Hunter 6ss 

Monster Hunter 6ss

Thoughts compared to Lady J list ??

Who are the monster hunters stalking? I would probably target Howard Langston first because of nimble and the chance of crow trigger on the pistols (the crow on the cast is a pulse and no use against spiders). After that...probably Joss because he won’t be in melee yet if you are focusing down Hank and Ramos.

5 minutes ago, Gnomezilla said:

Who are the monster hunters stalking? I would probably target Howard Langston first because of nimble and the chance of crow trigger on the pistols (the crow on the cast is a pulse and no use against spiders). After that...probably Joss because he won’t be in melee yet if you are focusing down Hank and Ramos.

My initial thoughts were Langston for 1 to try and get some shots off and some movement and tie up langston potentially.... 2nd one is a flex position. my thoughts were to keep a 2nd one to stalk opponants scheme runner of somekind to get some movement, get close to pull a "ply for info" then destroy and move on? 

2 hours ago, NickDub said:

Standard Deploy: Ply for Info, Surround Them, Covert Breakthrough, Set Up, Undercover Entourage, Search the Ruins.

Ply for Information: Scores wherever models meet, tends to be table center.

Set Up: Scores around target model, tends to be center table, at end of turn. Placement synergy with: Ply for Info, possibly opposing Undercover Entourage or Covert Breakthrough (in your own backfield). Considered difficult.

Search the Ruins: Scores at center table, at end of game. Placement synergy with: not much. Considered moderate.

Undercover Entourage: Scores in opponent’s backfield, at end of game. Placement synergy with: Covert Breakthrough, Surround Them. Considered easy.

Covert Breakthrough: Scores in opponent’s backfield, at end of game. Placement synergy with: Undercover Entourage, Surround Them. Considered easy.

Surround Them: Scores in your corners and opponent’s corner, at end of game. Scores in opponent’s backfield. Placement synergy with: Undercover Entourage, Covert Breakthrough. Considered moderate.

With the Entourage/Breakthrough/Surround trifecta, I see no reason not to deploy one model in each deployment zone and drop a scheme marker apiece, either to run or to bluff Surround Them. Covert and Surround take more AP from us Guildies than most, since we are low on movement tricks (maybe monster hunter stalk-walks will help). My rule of thumb is to be in position to drop Covert markers by the end of turn three, Surround by the end of turn four.

While Search the Ruins is often a popular choice for low AP investment (three AP for markers in a section of the board you’ll occupy anyway), the trifecta fit together so well it isn’t worth bluffing Search imo. Either do it late game, or don’t. Sometimes I have had fun by bluffing Search then announcing Set Up, but with crews more schemey than yours—both schemes are unforgiving of inexact placement.

Do not pick Francisco for Undercover Entourage. Ever. He never survives. Most other henchmen of ours have a shot, as do most masters.

Backfield schemes are Ramos’ strong point: he assumes you can’t stop every scheme runner spider, and is often right. (And he’s not even the most unstoppable Arcanist for such schemes.) He can move up to 18” in his final activation, given a spider between him and his goal, for Undercover Entourage. Joss can only move 10” per activation for Entourage, but is also likely to survive a game with his defensive tech. He is unlikely to pick Set Up, for the reasons already given.

Try to avoid allowing your high Df models get mobbed by spiders. The -1 Df adds up quickly.
Acrobatic Assault is nice for putting Lady J in a spot to block the push from Ramos's Df trigger and/or Magnetize if you decide to take him out.
If Ramos is bringing any of his Aura buff upgrades they require LoS for models to get the :+flip flips.
Remember that Lady J will not be able to riposte against Joss since he ignores Df triggers.  

• Like 2

Ramos Player 

Arcane Reservoir

Under Pressure (MVP)

Ramos AOE denotate may have been the game changer. 

Brass Arachnid (4Successful Reactivates)

Joss 

Open Current (MVP)

Amina (Turn 1 and 2 Pulls were critical)

Imbued Energies

Howard Langston (Imbued Energies)

Union SteamFitter 

Ramos won 8-6. Ramos took set up and Under Cover entourage. Scoring six from schemes  

Perdita took Surround Them and Covert Breakthrough scoring six from schemes.  

Witch Hunters are very strong and scary.  Feels like a three / four ap Model for six stones.  They consistently get the redcuced damage because there aren’t many hitters at lower stones.  

There were two critical decisions that I think made a difference.  First is hand management.  Carefully choosing to lose a duel so that I won a big one later.  (Amina was one shot without activating which I could have stopped).  ^Not sure I made the right decision it was critical moment and I chose to let her go.

Turn two is way too difficult to describe in any detail.  Basically there is a very difficult decision to be made in turn two - kill or ply - we could literally start the same board position at turn two and have many different variations on the game.  

Great game NickDub

PS - lots of good info on this thread. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, azgadil said:

Ramos Player 

Arcane Reservoir

Under Pressure (MVP)

Ramos AOE denotate may have been the game changer. 

Brass Arachnid (4Successful Reactivates)

Joss 

Open Current (MVP)

Amina (Turn 1 and 2 Pulls were critical)

Imbued Energies

Howard Langston (Imbued Energies)

Union SteamFitter 

Ramos won 8-6. Ramos took set up and Under Cover entourage. Scoring six from schemes  

Perdita took Surround Them and Covert Breakthrough scoring six from schemes.  

Witch Hunters are very strong and scary.  Feels like a three / four ap Model for six stones.  They consistently get the redcuced damage because there aren’t many hitters at lower stones.  

There were two critical decisions that I think made a difference.  First is hand management.  Carefully choosing to lose a duel so that I won a big one later.  (Amina was one shot without activating which I could have stopped).  ^Not sure I made the right decision it was critical moment and I chose to let her go.

Turn two is way too difficult to describe in any detail.  Basically there is a very difficult decision to be made in turn two - kill or ply - we could literally start the same board position at turn two and have many different variations on the game.  

Great game NickDub

PS - lots of good info on this thread. 

Learned a lot and had a great time! I want revenge!!!!!!!

Thanks to all that helped! I really appreciate it as its helping me make more sound decisions going forward.

@azgadil FOUR reactivates! I’m in awe. I never have the brass arachnid in range turns two and three, if I have cast reactivate in turn one. A 10+ tome in hand often enough to let the brass arachnid walk instead of stoke itself for tomes?

Also, I’m very surprised you picked Set Up. Where on the board did that score? Against which model?

@NickDub I’m sorry to hear you didn’t win but happy to hear you got maximum scheme VP.

What ‘witch hunter’ was that about? The queller?...Probably the monster hunter, now that I think about models that feel like they have extra AP.

2 hours ago, Gnomezilla said:

@azgadil FOUR reactivates! I’m in awe. I never have the brass arachnid in range turns two and three, if I have cast reactivate in turn one. A 10+ tome in hand often enough to let the brass arachnid walk instead of stoke itself for tomes?

Also, I’m very surprised you picked Set Up. Where on the board did that score? Against which model?

@NickDub I’m sorry to hear you didn’t win but happy to hear you got maximum scheme VP.

What ‘witch hunter’ was that about? The queller?...Probably the monster hunter, now that I think about models that feel like they have extra AP.

He meant Monster Hunter. 

I goofed and gave up an opportunity to score/deny 1 strat point which "could" have leveled playing field? Pushing a reporting down 1 side and a watcher down the other seemed to work well to get scheme markers up field starting turn 3 (thanks @Gnomezillaand with the terrain layout it kept them fairly safe and out of the center of field where ALL action was taking place. 

@azgadil He scored it against Francisco as I ran out of activations focusing on Howard. I used an accomplice putting me an AP behind (did get Howard + Amina in Perdita's activation) 

1 hour ago, 4thstringer said:

I feel personally attacked.

Never seen you play so I wasn't actually referring to you. In my game two days ago I gave away three points on it for scheme markers placed in my enemy's deployment zone and I hadn't even been lured there! Marcus, a cerberus and a blessed all went there willingly to get that bastard Lynch, turned out he had it on Marcus. :D I also easily scored three VP against Huggy in that game because who can resist charging their immortal hench forward? In my club setup is a given in most games, having models left at the end is a lot harder.

1 hour ago, Ludvig said:

Never seen you play so I wasn't actually referring to you. In my game two days ago I gave away three points on it for scheme markers placed in my enemy's deployment zone and I hadn't even been lured there! Marcus, a cerberus and a blessed all went there willingly to get that bastard Lynch, turned out he had it on Marcus. :D I also easily scored three VP against Huggy in that game because who can resist charging their immortal hench forward? In my club setup is a given in most games, having models left at the end is a lot harder.

I figured.  Just tends to be the kind of mistake I specialize in.

34 minutes ago, 4thstringer said:

I figured.  Just tends to be the kind of mistake I specialize in.

After my rather long run of Lucius trying to be sneaky I have a lot of pent up rage. What's the point of a cerberus having leap and stalk if it isn't supposed to be leaping at the enemy master turn two? Same thing for McMourning, his trigger to push and all the abilities scream for you to push him into a clump of enemies, I can't very well go against the design of the model. ;) 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ludvig said:

After my rather long run of Lucius trying to be sneaky I have a lot of pent up rage. What's the point of a cerberus having leap and stalk if it isn't supposed to be leaping at the enemy master turn two? Same thing for McMourning, his trigger to push and all the abilities scream for you to push him into a clump of enemies, I can't very well go against the design of the model. ;) 

Gotta be honest, mcmournings abilities scream to me "I'm about to do a bad job" to me.

5 hours ago, 4thstringer said:

Gotta be honest, mcmournings abilities scream to me "I'm about to do a bad job" to me.

Whuuut?! Facing ressers so everything on the opposing side has undead greatly improves his performance. They clump for whatever reason and you do the max expunge damage to a target for a 1 and a 0. His ca stat is seriously good. This means you can push + walk thrn do the thing and trigger to push into btb giving you a very fun alpha and a chance to die a glorious death while wasting enemy ap because Francisco buffed you and you managed to engage a couple of models. The effigy can usually run close enough to allow healing and card draw turn 2. A performer can do some scheming and offer a second expunge if necessary.

Edit: Sure, not exactly a powerhouse, LJ or Perdita could probably outdamage him.