GG18 Official Master Tier List

Math Mathonwy

On 4/24/2018 at 7:39 PM, daniello_s said:

Just to give you a taste of what he was before😉:

You always took Levi with Desolate Soul and Tally Sheet. Third upgrade was whatever you want (either Pariah, Oathkeeper or To Earth Return). You also hired Hodgepodge Effigy.

Effigy put his condition on Levi, Levi Channeled 3 times which gave him :+flipto attack AND damage flip so he could easily shoot 3 times ignoring terrain (soft terrain didn't exist for Levi at the time) and hit enemy model usually for between 6-8 damage in average. When it was not enough to kill master/henchman it was plenty enough to kill minion and most of enforcers. With the last finishing shot Levi used SS for :crowto trigger summoning Abomination and by killing enemy model he could draw the card and get back SS.

Each turn rinse and repeat. There were games where I started with 3SS in the pool and ended up with 7...

😭 When I buy Leveticus, I just start to play in Malifaux, played 3 games, and he was nerfed( Those days I don't realize how strong he was... But now I understood and that's very sad what I played only 3 games with "old" Leveticus. But this is my favorite master forever and no matter what)

I'd put lynch higher. He got, in my opinion, the best upgrade in wave 5. Being able to always cheat last is so fricking strong, especially on a master that can manipulate his hand and deck as lynch can. Put free brilliance, scheme markers and crew wide heal on top and it's just ridiculous.

Misaki I'd put in tier 2 for reasons already mentioned.

5 hours ago, whodares said:

I'd put her on tier 2 as well. The nerf on The Storm hit her hard in a lot of matchups (Looking at you Arcanists) and her general gameplay hasn't really been buffed. Her saving grace is Terracotta Warrior swapping The Storm for Stalking Bisento when necessary, which I haven't really seen used for some strange reason.

Right now she feels like Asami when it comes to games: dominant in specific matchups, ok in general matchups and downright bad against counters. Unlike Shenlong who can work around his counters why playing the scheming game, she doesn't have the flexibility to do that.

Then again I'm not sure Shenlong belongs in 1.5, but more something like 1.75. He's probably our best master, yet gets outclassed by pretty much everyone in Tier 1 and 1.5. His strong point is that he's never a bad pick due to his flexibility, which makes it easier to take him to single master tournaments. Can't say that about Misaki.

My reasoning behind putting her into Tier 2.5 was precisely the fact that she has some bad match-ups. In my mind the difference between tiers 2 and 2.5 is that 2.5 has weaknesses that might hit you while 2 doesn't (at least not to the same degree). Now, this thing naturally falls a bit flat if someone is really superb (tier 1.5) but has some specific bad match-ups so I'm not iron-clad opposed to moving her to 2.

As for Lynch, yeah, he was one I almost put into 1.5. He is really good but he is somewhat vulnerable to fast things that can mulch him.

I love these discussions because I love how much opinions differ.  Hoffman at tier one or 1.5 seems insane to me.   And guild Mcmourning being in the same tier as Misaki is so counter to my experience I am bewildered. If misakis upgrade had come out in the current form, everyone would still have her at tier one.  But since she  came out too big and got dialed back, people are sleeping on her again.

I'm really surprised to see Hoffman in the same tier as guilds 3 deadly ladies.  He would have been tier 2.5 edging in on 3 to me.  Too much work to get him to work.

I'd have bumped Lucius up one, but that might be the fanboy in my talking.

I think Ulix is at least Tier 2.

Sure he has his counters, but those are pretty niche, and can either be anticipated (best not to pick him into NB) or played around (he's decent even if he can't charge). 

The raw scheming potential of Ulix, especially in GG18 where Ply for Info exists, makes him a very strong contender in my book, and putting him at 2.5 is just plain wrong. 

He is linear (although he does scheme and kill well), and he does have his counters, but despite this he is very good at what he's supposed to do (which is lay waste to enemy scheme marker Strats) and as such should not be underestimated. 

• 4 weeks later...

In my opinion, here is the general reality, and it’s one that has mostly been true since the very first release of edition 1. Familiarity and skill with the game is useually the most important factor in winning malifaux. Someone who is familiar with the rules and the models is almost always going to beat someone significantly less skilled.

That’s often true in most games. And if that’s your definition of balance it’s almost comically impossible not to achieve. You wouldn’t even really need playtestors to achieve that.

the issue is when you get people playing in the same skill range against each other, and there is where the issue of balance comes in. A master who gives a better advantage can give a significant edge in winning and therefore is just going to get chosen more because that extra edge is a thing.

For me the best way of telling how balanced a master is that if you came to any group of knowledgeable players and said:

”I just won a hyper competitive event, and I only used x master” if there is any expressed surprise, the master isn’t good enough. In an ideal world and one that is achievable, no one should be surprised by any particular master being used and doing well.

2E certainly did narrow the bands between master power level, but they are still noticably there, and the edge they give is still enough to push a player significantly over the top into victory. That should change.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 7/4/2018 at 8:21 AM, katadder said:

I dont think Nico is that bad, he just requires more corpse markers to do what he did before (and doesnt get 25% of the deck to counter any weakness)

Nico sort of runs on a continuum from "full summoner" to "full support".  The "Full summoner" lists are the ones that bring the 40ss worth of support (Asura, Phillip, Mortimer, Sebastian, etc.) and then summon everything you need to win.  They'll take a hit in productivity, but will likely be fine.

"Full Support" Nicodem (a big beater or two, some belles, tends to have Necrotic King) lost 2 wounds and generally soldiers on.  He was likely only summoning maybe a model or two per game anyway.

What I worry about are the "middle path" strategies.  They likely didn't bring the full boat that Full Summoner did, but still had plans on summoning a model a turn maybe and support the existing stuff.  I think this nerf is going to do real harm to his camp and basically force people all the way one or the other.  It will take a few games with him to really feel it out.

I wonder if maybe Gassers and Shadow Embrace could be a viable option for Nico now.  He's rather desperate for the healing and there are precious few ways to spread poison to make Shadow Embrace work that won't also kill whatever it's trying to save.