Newbie terrain

Pantoporos Aporos

I'm getting ready to start Malifaux soon, so I've decided to start getting some terrain in anticipation. I found this promising birdhouse at Walmart a few days ago, and decided that for $5 I'd give it a shot.  A few minutes with a pencil and I had a good enough plan:

mQg4GP8.jpg

A couple of evenings with a wood burner and it is starting to look decent:

1mgDEeg.jpg

I'm not sure what my next steps will be, but I'm thinking of priming it black and dry brushing some light gray on the stones to give it some depth. I just don't know if the depressions left by the wood burner are deep enough (or well-defined enough) for that.  I might try this out on a scrap piece of wood first... After painting, I will probably "board up" the windows and door, to give it an "abandoned cabin" kind of feel. That would go well with the "Forgotten Temple" mat I got from Mats by Mars (with 1" hexes overlaid, as measuring is a deal breaker with my spouse).

Not sure what to do about the shingles and "base", though. I'm thinking about getting some molds from Happy Seppuku, but have no idea how well Green Stuff will adhere to wood. Any suggestions?

Anyway, I can't wait to get started with Malifaux!

• Like 3

Cool idea with the wood burner. Kind of hard to judge depth in the photo but you can pick out very shallow dents with a bit of care.

Here's a tutorial that might be helpful with the stonework. http://www.coloureddust.com.pl/2013/12/how-to-paint-town-square-base.html

The classic trick for shingles is overlapping little cardboard rectangles. It's pretty time-consuming but looks good. You can cut corners by making them longer than would be to-scale without sacrificing much of the look.

Are you going to break the base off or try to blend it in with the mat?

Thanks! That was a helpful tutorial. I might go over the shallow bits with the wood burner again, but seeing what was done with the base gives me some hope that this will work too. I was thinking of flocking the base and leaving it at that, but I might sand it down at an angle before I do that. I don't expect to put miniatures on the base, though maybe we'll want to when playing. I'll have to think about that some more... Maybe I'll just sand it flush with the walls, and work in some more stone patterns.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/11/2018 at 4:31 PM, Clockwork_Fish said:

Good idea!  I had a similar thought about a bird house I saw at Michael’s that looked like a log cabin.  Speaking of which, in the jewelry section you can get tiny gears and clock faces.  Might work for the windows to turn it into an abandoned clock tower.

Thanks for the tip! I'm thinking of boarding up the window and door after painting it, and making it look like an abandoned church.  But the clockwork tip might just come in handy for basing some minis in the future!