The New Seamus

nomoredroids

3 minutes ago, Arlos896 said:

Has anyone tried corpse bloat with Seamus? In theory if they pass boo, clump them up around a corpse then detonate it another effective wp15 duel or 5 damage either leads to lots of damage or lots of healing.

I've not tried it, but the problem I've found with Seamus is that he already needs a lot of cards. Another 9 is a lot to expect. Other than that, yes, it's a high duel with a lot of damage potential. I wouldn't do it with Boo, since it requires the (0). 

I've tried quite a few times Corpse Bloat on Seamus. 

On paper is great, as long as you have some Corpse generator (Asura, for example). On the board I found myself in the position to not have the opportunity to use it as much as I have liked. 

As said, the 9 is a problem and Seamus'crews usually need lots of medium-highish cards (boo, back alley, take the lead, ecc..). 

Seamus' activation is usually well spent by Boo someone and focus (or double focus in some situation) someone. The third ap is usually spent on positioning to use Boo to a maximum effect. 

Lately I've started taking CB on Asura, as she has good passive abilities but not effective action for a 8ss model. With CB she can force at least 2 high wp duels AoE at a quite large distance. She becomes a 10 ss investment, but the amount of damage and healing are not to be underestimated and she can still be in a safe-ish position. 

Imho

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, thatlatinspeakingguy said:

the thing is that Nekima will stone to circumvent the negative twist to horror duel and happily kill you anyway.

Yeah I usually do the following:

(0) Gnawing Fear

(1) Fear Behind the Eyes, taking the built-in "No Escape" trigger. 

Stuck Nekima.

Or I can charge her with Yin and she'll need to get rid of Yin first. That's usually a Focus + Attack and then an Attack on a :-flip. Assuming she passes the Terrifying duel at a :-flip; I'm all-too happy to soak up your stones to hit Yin; she's only 8 stones.  

• Like 1

A full explanation would require more discussion than I feel she warrants. She isn’t auto include or amazing, and she isn’t absolute garbage. You can certainly take her and get work out of her but you either need to just accept that she will die super easy and write the loss off because she’s 6 stones, or play around her which can make her shine and be super effective, but she’s super fragile and if you do that your playing revolves around a super easy to kill model whose defensive tech is counter to how you want to use her. Her kit and abilities make you want to activate her early, but if you do you drop the only good defense she has.

That’s probably more discussion than she warrants. You can certainly use her if you like her and not gimp yourself, but she isn’t good enough to be a recommended buy, let alone a must consider.

2 hours ago, Fetid Strumpet said:

A full explanation would require more discussion than I feel she warrants. She isn’t auto include or amazing, and she isn’t absolute garbage. You can certainly take her and get work out of her but you either need to just accept that she will die super easy and write the loss off because she’s 6 stones, or play around her which can make her shine and be super effective, but she’s super fragile and if you do that your playing revolves around a super easy to kill model whose defensive tech is counter to how you want to use her. Her kit and abilities make you want to activate her early, but if you do you drop the only good defense she has.

That’s probably more discussion than she warrants. You can certainly use her if you like her and not gimp yourself, but she isn’t good enough to be a recommended buy, let alone a must consider.

Yep I can never quite find a place for her in a list, its a shame because the model is fantastic

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Athiko said:

Yep I can never quite find a place for her in a list, its a shame because the model is fantastic

It seems like one of the best uses for her is probably in a Yan Lo or Kirai crew that you want the Lure of a Rotten Belle but want something that fits the theme of the crew a bit better. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, WWHSD said:

It seems like one of the best uses for her is probably in a Yan Lo or Kirai crew that you want the Lure of a Rotten Belle but want something that fits the theme of the crew a bit better. 

I do think that you can spend those 6ss better with these two masters. The best use I made of her was when I started playing Jack Daw, as she gives him an access to Lure.

23 minutes ago, thatlatinspeakingguy said:

I do think that you can spend those 6ss better with these two masters. The best use I made of her was when I started playing Jack Daw, as she gives him an access to Lure.

She may not normally be the best way to spend 6 points but if you want an Asian themed crew I think your only options are Jaakuna or an Oiran if you want to add a lure to the crew. Of those two, I think Jaakuna is probably the stronger choice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WWHSD said:

She may not normally be the best way to spend 6 points but if you want an Asian themed crew I think your only options are Jaakuna or an Oiran if you want to add a lure to the crew. Of those two, I think Jaakuna is probably the stronger choice.

That is true, thematic crews are underrated, especially in friendly games.

Honestly, I think there should be a mechanic rewarding keyword hiring. But that's a whole other discussion.

• Like 1

I take Jaakuna quite often with Seamus, but to be honest generally have Seamus running round on his own. 

I usually run him with Sinister Rep, Aka Seb and D.Y.K.W.I.A. That way he can either jump around dropping scheme markers and taking out individual models, or jump into the middle of a crew and hold them all up.

the rest of my crew depends on what I’m playing. I love him in Ply with Jaakuna, 2 belles a doxy and Phil & nanny. I am looking forward to getting some performers though. Don’t mind me will come in real handy as well as the scheme marker removal threat.

15 minutes ago, unti said:

Hey, i have a question about seamus boo ability: after an enemy passes the tn 12 horror duel from boo, is the model immune to his terrifying ability? my guess is that he is immune, but maybe you can clarify.

Yes, for the rest of that turn.

The immunity to further Horror duels specifically references the model which caused the Horror duel to be taken. Seamus causes Horror duels with Boo!, so it's probably not a great idea to toss him into the middle of a bunch of unactivated enemy models unless they have to attack Wp.

4 hours ago, Haagrum said:

The immunity to further Horror duels specifically references the model which caused the Horror duel to be taken. Seamus causes Horror duels with Boo!, so it's probably not a great idea to toss him into the middle of a bunch of unactivated enemy models unless they have to attack Wp.

Actually I've found Seamus to be quite survivable if your crew is built to take advantage of his -2 WP aura and his healing (that was the whole point of this thread). Don't forget that models that pass his Boo ability also get pushed, and you should have a Doxie and/or Belles around to capitalize on that. 

8 hours ago, nomoredroids said:

Actually I've found Seamus to be quite survivable if your crew is built to take advantage of his -2 WP aura and his healing (that was the whole point of this thread). Don't forget that models that pass his Boo ability also get pushed, and you should have a Doxie and/or Belles around to capitalize on that. 

Good points. I suppose I'm used to people cheating their way through Horror duels and then pummeling a low Df, Impossible to Wound model on account of using Teddy. Seamus has a lot more up his sleeves to survive that kind of attention.

On 5/13/2018 at 8:33 AM, Haagrum said:

But surely the result is going to be the same if  you make them take the duel earlier or they wait until they activate (by which I mean you make them take the same difficulty duel or gain paralysed). Boo at least means they have to take the test, if you just wait for them to activate, then your opponent gets to decide if they are going to take the test. 

19 minutes ago, Adran said:

But surely the result is going to be the same if  you make them take the duel earlier or they wait until they activate (by which I mean you make them take the same difficulty duel or gain paralysed). Boo at least means they have to take the test, if you just wait for them to activate, then your opponent gets to decide if they are going to take the test. 

My concern was more about the opportunity to react to Seamus's presence in the middle of their crew. Seamus can pop up in places quite easily and usually gets where he needs to, but doing it early in a turn is (I think) possibly riskier against crews who can retaliate against him effectively.

I guess the best thing to do is pick your battles.  If your opponent is running things that negate damage mitigation (like Reva with Decaying Aura and Littany of the Fallen) then avoid jamming your master up front until you can pick off the threatening model in question. 

41 minutes ago, stonecrowe said:

I guess the best thing to do is pick your battles.  If your opponent is running things that negate damage mitigation (like Reva with Decaying Aura and Littany of the Fallen) then avoid jamming your master up front until you can pick off the threatening model in question. 

Reva actually doesn't stand much of a chance to kill off Seamus in one turn unless she's very lucky or you drop Seamus into a ton of corpses. Impossible to Wound isn't prevented by Decaying Aura or Litany, so she's probably doing 3 wounds a hit. For 9, total. It's likely she'll use her (0) for damage, but isn't that a Wp duel (can't remember)? And if Yin goes after that, she's insuring Seamus is healing 6. Even a Belle can reliably heal him 4. So unless Seamus is around some beefy models, there's a very high likelihood that Reva isn't going to kill him in a single activation. Or even bring him low enough to be killed the activation after. 

And more to the point, Seamus (+CCK) is then close enough to make Reva hurt.