Rules Question: Cap to Aspects?

billyzero

Just played the TTB Bad Things Happen "tutorial" adventure and my players and I loved it!

Question:  After character creation is finished, is there still a maximum of 3 to Aspects?  In other words, can a player with a Speed of 3 increase her aspect to 4 (and later 5 and so on) when she is leveling up her character (upon accepting/rejecting a destiny step)?

Also, I understand that a subordinate doesn't flip cards for defense and willpower resist attempts when attacked (just compare values according to the rules), I assume that a Fatemaster still has to make a damage flip (on a hit) though to determine what level of damage was done, right?

Sorry for the basic questions but I want to get it right!  Thank you!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, billyzero said:

Just played the TTB Bad Things Happen "tutorial" adventure and my players and I loved it!

Question:  After character creation is finished, is there still a maximum of 3 to Aspects?  In other words, can a player with a Speed of 3 increase her aspect to 4 (and later 5 and so on) when she is leveling up her character (upon accepting/rejecting a destiny step)? 

Also, I understand that a subordinate doesn't flip cards for defense and willpower resist attempts when attacked (just compare values according to the rules), I assume that a Fatemaster still has to make a damage flip (on a hit) though to determine what level of damage was done, right?

Sorry for the basic questions but I want to get it right!  Thank you!

1) No, u cant improve it by leveling up. But we have house rule that skilled Alchemists 3+ can create potion that works once per session with duration 1 min and takes whole day of work. If i remember properly it was Alch + Int: TN 16:ToS-Tome: create elixir that provides +3 to the chosen aspect but reduces adjusted stats by 1 or if its corner Aspect then one of the adjusted reduces by 2. So if u want to rise your Might X to Might  X +3 then u reduce your Charm by 2 and reduce Grace by 1. Or if u rise Int by 3 then Cunning,Charm and Grace reduces by 1. But dont forget that there is Cap and u cant rise your aspect above 5.

2) Fated subordinate don't use Number in brackets, Fated character flips for it. Value in brackets is used when u fight those NPC's and they are controlled by Fatemaster.

31 minutes ago, billyzero said:

Question:  After character creation is finished, is there still a maximum of 3 to Aspects?  In other words, can a player with a Speed of 3 increase her aspect to 4 (and later 5 and so on) when she is leveling up her character (upon accepting/rejecting a destiny step)?!

Aspects range from -5 to 5, so the character in question can increase her Aspect all the way up to 5.

31 minutes ago, billyzero said:

Correct.

Similarly, Fatemaster characters don't flip cards for skills or Defense/Willpower flips, but they still flip cards for damage.

Thank you both for the quick responses.  Your answers inspired me to look harder in the rules given the uncertainty on the issue.

Pg. 73  "Each character has four Physical Aspects and four Mental Aspects. Each of these typically ranges from -5 to 5, although some rare individuals may have Aspects that go lower or higher. An Aspect of 0 is considered to be the human average."

Pg. 310  "On its turn, the subordinate character is controlled by the Ordering character. If the Ordering character is a Fated character, the subordinate character flips cards for Challenges on its turn as if it were a Fated character, but it may not Cheat Fate. Outside of its turn, the subordinate character uses its Rank Value in place of card flips, just like every other Fatemaster character."

Thanks again for the help from you guys!  Sorry that the answers were in front of my face the whole time!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/11/2018 at 9:21 AM, Mason said:

Similarly, Fatemaster characters don't flip cards for skills or Defense/Willpower flips, but they still flip cards for damage.

Hey there - I know I'm coming late to the thread, but I was wondering if maybe the bit about Fatemaster Characters flipping cards for damage could be put into the next FAQ? I'm asking because pretty much everything else Fatemaster Character related deals with static values - even Fate Modifiers become +/-2 modifiers. Having the Fatemaster flip for something is still a novel idea for some of us old-timers. 😀

Frankly, until I read this post, I'd assumed damage was unchanged from the first edition, where Fatemaster Characters do Moderate damage to each other unless adjusted up or down a step for each Fate Modifier that isn't cancelled out.

• Like 1