Playing into blasters

Rionnay

Hey there!

I'm curious what the general though is for Neverborn when playing into blasters like Sonnia, Raspy, Sandy, etc.
Currently I am thinking a puppet heavy wooden claws collodi crew but I am completely open to any and all suggestions. I wont put you down for an idea just looking for general suggestions :-)

Sonnia- Accurate long range plus to damage flips with blasts

Raspy- Multiple long range blasts

Sandy- Blasts while also driving a summoning engine

Blasts are no match to Neverborn power!
Lilith can charge without Los and if she can fly (upgrade) then with terrain ignore. Who u going to shoot if u dont see her ?
Padora with her 7/7 is very hard to hit.

Titania with proper work can Charge u from one table corner to another.

Collodi can use his puppets as a shield...

I just didnt saw every single Neverborn master but blasts are not a problem at all.

• Like 1

Pandy can have some trouble since Raspy and Sonnia actually match her wp (Sonnia can even start the duel at Ca 9). Lilith deals with it very well and hard to wound + armour is usually handy so autumn knights perhaps.

I think Raspy and Sonnia merit very differebt counter tactics, they don't really function in the same way. You might add Misaki to the list as well.

the hodgepodge effigy and stitched together gives soft cover for an aura. the waldgeist makes soft terrain markers. then there are things that block los that are generally beast if you can place decently, the cyclops ice pillars come to mind.  

dont forget there are things like perfect camo that give :-flipto :ranged if the model has not activated yet this turn. cant forget about the upgrade mimic's blessing which gives this ability.

then of course you have things like collodi's personal puppet and dreamer's (forgot what its called) sac a nightmare def trigger. but if your going into a game blind and only know the faction then the best thing to do is just spread out far enough that you are still in the range of your abilities (if necessary) but far enough apart to not worry about the blasts.  and finally dont forget the old stand by of getting in :meleerange to help prevent blasting.

• Like 1

Who is Sandy? I had assumed Sandeep, but he doesn't do blasts (in any way that I can remember).

I'm going to say that you don't really know who you are going to face when you build your list, so the best advice is play style, rather than crew composition. 

The classic are don't bunch up, use cover, remember the rules, if you can't see the target model, you can't be hurt by blasts that originate from that model.

Engage :ToS-Range: blasters so they can't use that attack. 

• 2 weeks later...

Sonia and her 13 activations really hard to counter. Los block? Nah, she shoot at her own teammate then u are burning! So no losblock for next 2 shots. 

Raspy - huge range and a lot of slow conditions (thanks to cheap acolyts and  from the shadow) 

misaki a little bit easer now but also hard counter. 

And don’t forget that an opponent can take another master and all ur counters vs blaster become useless. 

In general i recommend to take collodi. he is only one who can have a tons activations, high ragne of attacks, cleanse, slowing enemy , survival and and u will never countered by an opponent.

May be new dreamer can also be a good answer on blasters, but not sure. His def trigger still bad vs blasts and incorpsreal doesn’t work (exept misaki). 

Also try some heavy hitters with warped reality. 

And another one good choice is horseman with 1000 faces. Push charge (if it’s raspy taking retrebiotion eye) and try to kill or engaged blaster. 

Cover from our models vs blasters: Sonia have + vs wp6,use soulstone , shoot her own crew etc. 

Raspy also will use soulstones, for cards/repeat attacks and get her + (thanks to a tottem). Or kill ur cover model with silent ones or other models. 

@f1amius

How does Sonnia get to 13 activations and still have meaningful support? Haven't ever seen her played with that many activations. Shooting her own models just go get burning onto you at keast means she used an ap and likely a soulstone or suited card as well as causing damage to her own model so I'd still say you made her jump through some hoops and lessened her impact. 

As for blast counter being useless vs other masters I'm not sure I agree. Counters such as blocking LoS and movement and models like stitched are rarely useless in any game.

Sue is an excellent choice against Ca blasters, if you can keep him near your other models. He has a 0 action that puts any casting at a model within 3" on a negative flip.

Aeslin can do something similar once she's within 6". It works against enemy models using Ca actions in that range - however, they can easily move away unless they're engaged.

Of course, masters can still burn a Soulstone for a plus to counter either of those strategies. At least you make them use resources for it.

Sue has the slight problem of being wp 6 so Sonnia gets a positive against him. 

Against a 13 activation Sonnia list spamming guild guard I would probably try blocking LoS to her turn 1 and staying outside her threat range. She can't fit many pushes in if she goes for many activations. Set up for luring or charging turn 2 depending on how the board looks and which schemes are in. This should require no counterbuilding whatsoever, when playing neverborn I can't think of a single list without at least two models capable of luring and a couple of big beatsticks.

2 hours ago, f1amius said:

Sonia and her 13 activations really hard to counter. Los block? Nah, she shoot at her own teammate then u are burning! So no losblock for next 2 shots. 

Raspy - huge range and a lot of slow conditions (thanks to cheap acolyts and  from the shadow) 

misaki a little bit easer now but also hard counter. 

And don’t forget that an opponent can take another master and all ur counters vs blaster become useless. 

In

Sonnia can probably be stopped by engagement if all she has is guild guard and hounds (Unless you have just surrounded her so people can't physically reach her), I know I would typically have someway that I could threaten her. 

Also Guild guard aren't very fast, so if I spend turn 1 hiding from her, she still isn't going to be able to blast onto me from the guards a lot of the time. (some time she might but knowing that she can do that and threaten 3 damage and burning on a target 24 " from her startign spot doesn't mean that she can then attack that model for free. If I am 15" from her then she will have to spend at least 1 AP to walk, if she then spends 1 AP and 1 ss (And 1 severe) to kill her own model, just do deal 3 damage and burning to one of my models so thatshe can then attack them without LOS for a second attack.

Personally I'm a big fan of answering thsi sort of question by saying how the list you took anyway could be used to counter the opponents threat, because you are right you can't just hire the right answer because you don't know you're going to face it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adran said:

Also Guild guard aren't very fast, so if I spend turn 1 hiding from her, she still isn't going to be able to blast onto me from the guards a lot of the time. (some time she might but knowing that she can do that and threaten 3 damage and burning on a target 24 " from her startign spot doesn't mean that she can then attack that model for free. If I am 15" from her then she will have to spend at least 1 AP to walk, if she then spends 1 AP and 1 ss (And 1 severe) to kill her own model, just do deal 3 damage and burning to one of my models so thatshe can then attack them without LOS for a second attack

50 SS Guild Crew
Sonnia Criid + 4 Pool
Puryfying Flame (3)
Captain Dashel (8)
Francisco Ortega (8)
Peacekeeper (11)
 - Numb To The World (1)
Guild Guard (3)
Guild Guard (3)
Guild Guard (3)
Guild Guard (3)
Guild Guard (3)
Guild Guard (3)

Something like that (may be guild players can recommend better list) 

u can’t lock in Sonia, before francisco dies or activates. i have some heavy hitters.

if u stay 15” far from me u can’t then reach sonia in on activation if we are saying about lilith. If u say in general so u will not have los block all time in 15” from Sonia or take ciclopus? 

I can discard ur cards with 3ss minions with 6df 5wd 1 armor and free focus and attack range 12”.

yes tactica to rush in is good but it need really good table with a lot of los blocks, but will u face sonia in this case?:)

and don’t forget about perfect modelclockwork trap, take 2 and place them in 14” for our blaster. Or even near deployzone to block normaly move. killing them also not an easy thing thanks for armor

In many pools from gg18 a neverborn list could more or less stay in it's deployment and lure in one or two guardsmen per turn to score the strat and multiple schemes off. For example you can score ply for info or public executions and dig their graves or punish the weak off a single model. Symbols of authority will probably be tricky for this list as well, it might be able to protect its own markers depending on the board.

Just a cyclops or Lilith could probably screwwith LoS pretty well if you take into account that the board will have some terrain as well. 

Collodi with a trapper and a couple of changelings would also pose a serious threat to Francisco and after he is gone they move on to Sonnia unless something else has bern able to engage/kill her. And that's only 13ss + master. I've had my ass handed to me by such a Collodi list a couple of times.