What masters catch your eye in factions you don’t play?

WWHSD

What masters outside of the faction (or factions) that you play catch your eye? Who is tempting you to take the first step into a new faction?

As an Arcanist player, here’s what is (currently) catching my eye from each faction:

Neverborn - Collodi

I like the look of some of the puppets and effigies and his ability to mess with his opponent’s AP looks interesting.

Ressers - Yan Lo

I really dig the look of Yan Lo’s crew. Lightning Jumping all over the place looks like a blast. Decaying Aura Izamu just seems like a terrifying thing to throw at opposing masters and henchmen.

Guild - Lucius 

He looks cool, he’s my favorite guild master from the fluff,  and having a master that has all of his minions do the heavy lifting while treating them as disposable resources seems to fit the game nicely.

Gremlins - Zipp

I really loved the fluff of Zipp and crew hijacking an airship and becoming pirates. Flying all over the board  and dropping  enemies in places that screw up their plans is appelling to me.

Ten Thunders - Lynch

Hucksters were my favorite thing about Deadlands. The deck and the control hand  are the things that set Malifaux apart from similar games and since Lynch’s abilities center around manipulating them it kind of makes him the master that is most tied to the uniqueness of Malifaux.

Outcasts - Von Schill

Having Von Schill and a Strongarm Suit bouncing around the table wrecking things seems like a ton of of fun. Von Schill’s new “Pull” ability seems like it would be fun to use as well.

• Like 1

So I own almost every model thats been produced for 2e, basically missing gremlins stuff and whats not out yet, now so I have actually branched out but as primarily a resser player I'll answer which ones I think are most interesting.

Guild: I'm a sucker for robot of any kinds and a huge mecha fan so I'm gonna have to go with Hoffman. Hell I loved playing him back in 1e, runner up has to go to Lady Justice as her original boxset is what made me pick the game up in the first place.

Neverborn: Dreamer and Pandora have been among my favorite since 1e but I'm gonna have to lean towards Colladi. His entire kit is just so fun.

Arcanists: Gonna go with Ironsides. Not only do I like how she works but thematically a straight brawler in a faction of mages just hits the right spots.

Outcasts: I have never strayed from my Leviticus love thought find Tara really fun as well. Strange mechanics are just fun

Ten Thunders: I love Shenglong and his condition recycling

Gremlins: Wong is just thematically entirely to amusing to me.

I want to be the terror gliding on the horizon, the shadow that swoops down from above, the incessant buzzing in ymmm emm hmm! Gmm tmmm dmmm tmmm omm om mm! Cmm tmmm omm! *rips off the duct tape* unfortunately my meta has expressed their objections to my ever picking up Zipp.

I only have one point-and-click Guild and am awful with her. For a simple game I like Ramos. Definitely take at least one of his new upgrades for a bit more flash, though. Copying attacks sets my heart aflutter but gamin are very boring models—I could go with Sandeep, but won’t.

Sometimes I wonder what Resser McMourning plays like, but not strongly enough to actually try it. I value Guild McMourning for his speed and independence once poisoned, and Moonlighting burdens him with yet another positioning bubble to work within. (On the upside, these days I can voice McMourning all I like as long as it keeps me away from Zipp.)

• Like 1

Neverborn: The Dreamer; love the new ill-mannered teenager upgrades that seem to boost the beat stick Chompy options. Titania; the aesthetic is great.

Ressers: Seamus; not really sure why...fluff is great. Kirai; the Asian ghost theme to some of the undead in the game has REALLY grown on me. Molly; I like the sounds of her playstyle.

1 hour ago, chryspainthemum said:

Outside of Neverborn, the only master that has ever really interested me is Marcus. Going to finally take the plunge and grab him this week, though! Being Neverborn also means I already have access to a ton of beasts, so mainly looking to grab his box + Rogue Necromancy + ??? 

If you’ve got most of the Neverborn Beasts you should be off to a solid start with just his crew box.

If you had more Arcanist models or some non-Beast mercs you were wanting to hire with him I’d suggest getting a Malifaux Raptor (you don’t really need all three that come in the box) as it is probably the best way to make one of your own models a Beast.

• Like 1

Ulix in gremlins for me. That wall of pork rampaging all over the board... Not sure on outcasts, I'm not really intrigued by any style even if several masters have interesting stuff going on both aesthetically and gameplay wise.

I more or less dabble in all the other factions at this point. There are a lot of charming themes. I have a particular soft spot for Lucius and Marcus, I already olay them but Marcus recently made me get into arcanists.

• Like 2

I have Masters in every faction except Grems and Guild - though I did pick up Lynch as a 'Born master.

Guild.... eh. I just don't like the Guild, lore-wise. They're soul-stealing fascist scum! That said, Hoffman tempts me, as I've come to enjoy giant stompy-bots and I'vealways loved cyborgs. I also actually like Sonnia as a character, but I already have Rasputina for a nuker.

Gremlins..that's only a matter of time. I love Ulix conceptually and in the lore, and he's mostly self-contained. Wyrd sending me a foil card for him helps.

Neverborn: Collodi. "I had strings but now I'm free, there are no strings on me."

Guild: Hoffman. "We can rebuild him. We have the technology." Lucius: "The prosecution rests, m'lord." Sonnia. "I am the god of hellfire."

Arcanists: Marcus. "Wild Boys!" Duran Duran

Ressers: Nicodem. "My mother said I should make more friends." McMourning. "The doctor is in."

Gremlins: Ophelia. "You have to ask yourself, 'Do I feel lucky?' Well do ya, punk?"

10 Thunders: Maybe Lynch. "The House always wins."

Outcasts: Leveticus. "You get an Abomination, and you get an Abomination, and you get an Abomination." Viktoria. "Off with her head." Hamelin. "Oh rats!"

Edit: I play Outcasts (so far everyone except Tara) and Ressers (only McMourning so far).

• Like 1

Tara for her model and Lovecraftian feel. I am severely tempted to embrace the void.

Ulix for a board full of pigs: tiny pigs, huge pigs, flying pigs, dead pigs...

Reva, because she has a pony. *Clippity-clop-clippity-clop*

Kirai, or more specifically her TOS version. Such a nice mini!

I'm a real big fan of both Guild McMourning and Lucius.... I would start them next if two Arcanists crews didn't just drop in my lap.

Although I'm conflicted to play "The Man".... even those pretending to be "The Man".

16 hours ago, Wolfpact said:

They're soul-stealing fascist scum! That said, Hoffman tempts me

I second this. As an Arcanist, the idea of playing Guild hurts me. Hoffman was very nearly my first master (before I learned better about the Guild), but Ramos beat him out. 

Outcast - I have very recently expanded out of Arcanist with Von Schill, and plan on having Levi very soon. He's going to be my excuse to buy all the cool Resser undead, and non-Arcanist constructs I couldn't normally field. 

Neverborn - Played a friends Dreamer last night, I really enjoyed that. Dreamer and Lynch really appeal to me, Lucius looks like he could be alot of fun as well. I could see myself going Neverborn once I build out my Outcast a bit

Resser - I like the models, but none of the masters really speak to me. Nico's huge toolbox of summons looks fun maybe, but thats the crew, not the master that is drawing me

Thunders - Again Lynch, maybe Misaki, or Thunders Mei

Gremlins - Zoraida looks like a whole lot of fun, especially in Gremlins (swampfiends)

• Agree 1

On 4/11/2018 at 11:33 AM, cbtb11235813 said:

Nico's huge toolbox of summons looks fun maybe, but that's the crew, not the master that is drawing me

Nico has a lot of tricks, but ultimately I usually have him in the back performing profane rituals while his summoned horde does the work.

(I also relate to this, as it's how I felt about the Outcasts overall. Parker sold me on theme, and I also now have and love Tara - who plays nice with my Nico horde, so bonus)

I own a few masters outside of my main faction Neverborn) already, but those that still catch my attention are Rasputina, especially the winter wonderland set, Mah because a spoon as a weapon is awesome, and cat lady Hamelin.  Those that I could not pass up already are Seamus who was my first master back in 2010 because undead hookers, Molly, Shen Long, and Zipp.

I'm mostly a Neverborn player, but I have Lucius (he's too cool not to play) and Brewmaster as well. As for stuff that appeals to me which I don't already have...

Guild: Lady Justice and Sonnia. Hard not to like them both. Pretty straightforward and good at chopping and blasting/killing it with fire, respectively.

Resurrectionists: Tara and Kirai, although after the whipping I copped from the latter at a recent tournament, perhaps not her. Reva seems interesting but I've never seen her played.

Arcanists: Kaeris is it for me. Always liked her concept, and the others don't grab my attention. Plus, you get to kill it with fire. I may need therapy for this...

Outcasts: Leveticus and Tara are really the only ones I find interesting. They seem to play very differently to everyone else, without being NPEs.

Gremlins: Ophelia, Wong and Zoraida, for entirely separate reasons.

Ten Thunders: Lynch, and perhaps Yan Lo. Lynch just oozes swagger and horror, and I particularly like him with Mr Graves and Mr Tannen. Yan Lo is every supernatural/sorcerous baddie cliché ever, but he works. Also, assembling the beard is a rite of passage.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've picked up a lot of those "I want this master" kind of purchases, but for the factions I haven't touched at all:

Neverborn - Collodi and Dreamer.  Dreamer is just an awesome concept and the puppet theme is fantastic.  Creepy toys is the best Neverborn stuff, IMO.

Gremlins - Zipp.  Sky Pirate is strictly better than any other character trait.  Ulix also is kind of a fun looking crew.

Ressers - Kirai.  Yan Lo largely fills this aesthetic need for me, but she's still pretty cool.  I also like Reva's design and style.  

As an aside, Zipp has the ability to reposition on a :mask on the defense dual. How would that work with a model that uses an attack that has both a melee and ranged profile like the Freikorps librarian. If she was in melee and I discard for furious casting, then he jumps away after the first attack, can I switch to the ranged profile and keep shooting him for the remaining two attacks?

I'm all over Gremlins, and I have a few Guild that I haven't really played yet, so:

Arcanists: Kaeris, Rasputina. Fire & Ice. I guess I like the traditional elemental magics??

Guild: Lucius, Hoffman, Perdita, Lady J, Sonnia, Nightmare McCabe. Regular McCabe doesn't speak to me at all, but the aesthetics of Rollins Black's crew is just amazing. Lucius is such a sh*t to his own troops, it's amazing! Hoffman has an interesting mechanic. Perdita just looks so directly badass, as does Lady J (plus: Burying!). Sonnia is McBlasty-Blasty, and shoots flames. Fun!!

Neverborn: Lilith, Lynch: Lilith as the Mother of Monsters, with the classic Nephilim beasts, is so thematic. For me, Lynch's card & cheating abilities really tie into the core mechanics of Malifaux, bringing out the poker/bluffing aspect.

Outcasts: Von Schill, Viktorias, Jack Daw. The Freikorps look like the Colonial Marines of Malifaux. "Absolutely BADASSES!!" Viktorias have fun synergies. Jack looks to have an interesting mechanic.

Rezzers: Tara, Yan Lo. I like Tara's complexity. Yan Lo cause he's the one missing piece of the "Big Trouble In Little China" homage (but when is Wyrd going to give us The Three Storms??).

Ten Thunders: Asami. Just cause I freakin' love the mythological Asian monsters, and in-game most of them are Oni. 

Just to play Devil's Advocate a little, what about Masters you reckon you'd never touch? Who just do nothing for you, aesthetically or otherwise?

Arcanists: Ramos, Ironsides, Sandeep, Mei Feng. Just ... Meh.

Guild: Nellie. Just can't stand that model. Maybe if an Alt. comes around...

Neverborn: Dreamer

Outcasts: Parker, Hamelin, Leveticus. Leve maybe just for the Four Horsemen thing tho.

Rezzers: Nicodem, Kirai, Reva. The first two scare me with their hiring pool requirements! Reva just doesn't click for me.