Quality of Alt Lazarus.

Saduhem

I want to share my opinion and experience with the assembly of Alt Lazarus for those that are on the fence about the plastic used:

-Initially I thought it was too "Flimsy". Definitely softer than any other plastic model I've touched in a long, long time. By the time I was done with the assembly, I was in love with it. The bending doesn't leave white marks and the material is elastic enough that it will return to the original shape when the pressure is lifted or, if you prefer, you can slightly bend the pieces too accommodate for poses/conversions and the glue will keep it in place. This is especially useful for miniatures in which multiple pieces have to be aligned, such as those in which both arms hold the same weapon. Inexperienced modelers will have a much easier time and the result will look pleasant.

-Assembly was DIVINE. Very, very easy. Makes dry fitting unnecessary as there is only one possible way to connect things. Never had so much fun assembling. This is probably what they're doing for The Other Side to minimize potential assembly errors in the factory. 

-A teeny tiny drop of standard super glue gives you rock solid adhesion. Just remember to wash the mini first.

-Mold lines were more visible compared to regular Malifaux models, but that's just because Malifaux models are extraordinary. They were very, very easy to remove and placed smartly so that they were either masked by the symmetry of the model or in a place that was very easy to reach with a hobby knife. Just be gentle as the plastic is softer. And honestly, if you are inclined to leave them there, you would really have to look for them after the paintjob is complete.

- Given the fact that there were a lot of big, flat surfaces, I can't really tell whether or not there is a noticeable loss of detail compared to your standard malifaux miniature. If I had to pick a stance, I would say that, overall, the details have a little less depth. It will still make a Privateer Press model look like it was produced in a Hasbro factory, but it might not live to the most detailed Malifaux plastics.

If this is how the miniatures from The Other Side are going to be, I am very, VERY impressed.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, WWHSD said:

I'm worried about what the flimsiness means for the paint on parts like the bayonet which is quite flexible,

I would be very surprised if it suffered any damage from painting. It certainly won't break off and if bent it will just go back to its previous state. The bayonet looks pretty thick too. 

2 minutes ago, Saduhem said:

I would be very surprised if it suffered any damage from painting. It certainly won't break off and if bent it will just go back to its previous state. The bayonet looks pretty thick too. 

I'm not worried about the piece breaking during painting, I'm worried that the paint will crack because the plastic is kind of rubbery and can flex.

10 minutes ago, WWHSD said:

I'm not worried about the piece breaking during painting, I'm worried that the paint will crack because the plastic is kind of rubbery and can flex.

Ahhhhhhhh, sorry for the misunderstanding. I should have it painted by the end of this week. I'll do a "stress test" and update the post :}

• Like 3

Just received mine. Some questions for those that have assembled it.

I got 19 pieces total, are there some digital instructions available?  I don't see any digital instructions online, and while some of it is pretty easy to figure out, it would be nice to have a reference to help with assembly.

Does plastic cement/glue work with this material or is superglue the recommended adhesive to use?

I don't think instructions are available. The only pieces that were a little less obvious to me were the two pieces that go in the back of the legs ( like little upside/down staircases) and an armor plate that goes under the right arm around the elbow area. Just remember that whenever you put a piece in place it should fit and align perfectly with the rest of the sculpt. This is particularly important for the first pieces I mentioned, the tiny steps that go in the back of the legs.

Not sure about other adhesives though.

• Thanks 1